Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 175787 times)

Offline batdive

Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This might not be possible, but I am going to ask. How would I integrate this into my existing LOR network/hardware? Would I use an iDMX for every 512 controllable channels or how do I interface with PixelNET?

Thanks,
Mike

Probably the easiest way would be get a Lynx dongle from RJ and reflash it so it is a Pixalnet dongle.  So you would be running your iDMX and the PixalNet dongle.  So you basically would have your pixalnet set up different from your LOR Equipment.  The other thing is you would need Vixen or LSP.

Offline monkey141

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2010, »
This might not be possible, but I am going to ask. How would I integrate this into my existing LOR network/hardware? Would I use an iDMX for every 512 controllable channels or how do I interface with PixelNET?

Thanks,
Mike

Probably the easiest way would be get a Lynx dongle from RJ and reflash it so it is a Pixalnet dongle.  So you would be running your iDMX and the PixalNet dongle.  So you basically would have your pixalnet set up different from your LOR Equipment.  The other thing is you would need Vixen or LSP.

So you are saying I would basically have to run two different shows? There would be no way to program the pixelnet from LOR software? It's not just the iDMX I am worried about, its all the controllers as well. I wish I had discovered this before making the leap into LOR but I am sort of invested now and hate to lose all that investment.

Mike
Mike
Fair Lawn, NJ

Offline batdive

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2010, »
So you are saying I would basically have to run two different shows? There would be no way to program the pixelnet from LOR software? It's not just the iDMX I am worried about, its all the controllers as well. I wish I had discovered this before making the leap into LOR but I am sort of invested now and hate to lose all that investment.

Mike

I think the biggest issue, would be the fact the LOR software only talks "LOR" and not DMX, so trying to run PixelNet from that software would be your issue.  Sounds like the easiest fix is to jump over to Vixen or LSP and convert your sequences.  Using Vixen or LSP you might be able to just use a Lynx Dongle modified for Pixelnet send that to the controller and use the DMX out of the controller to your LOR equipment, since they will see DMX.

Hope that helps and I am sure someone with LOR will jump in and give you the exact set up needed.  My neighbor has LOR and Lynx stuff and had no issues integrating them together.

-JS
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, by batdive »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2010, »
I think that the issue that many seem to be missing is that Pixelnet is a seperate protocol.  It is NOT DMX.  Because of that, the IDMX controllers would be useless.  I don't see any easy way to integrate Pixelnet into a LOR network but that doesn't make it impossible either.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline monkey141

« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2010, »
I think that the issue that many seem to be missing is that Pixelnet is a seperate protocol.  It is NOT DMX.  Because of that, the IDMX controllers would be useless.  I don't see any easy way to integrate Pixelnet into a LOR network but that doesn't make it impossible either.

I guess I should have posed this question better. What I was looking for is if anyone had any ideas on how to go about doing the protocol conversion (LOR -> PixelNet). I think I remember earlier in this thread that RJ said the protocol would be open, so maybe I will be able to figure out a way when that is released. Or maybe I am better off switching ti LSP or Vixen, but I would loose my LOR investment. I will have to wait and see what details and ideas come out. Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

Mike
Mike
Fair Lawn, NJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2010, »

I guess I should have posed this question better. What I was looking for is if anyone had any ideas on how to go about doing the protocol conversion (LOR -> PixelNet). I think I remember earlier in this thread that RJ said the protocol would be open, so maybe I will be able to figure out a way when that is released. Or maybe I am better off switching ti LSP or Vixen, but I would loose my LOR investment. I will have to wait and see what details and ideas come out. Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

Mike

It is not hard for me to make a box that converts LOR to PixelNet, Just as it is possible to make firmware for the Expresses that would run either DMX or LOR protocol.

The issue is LOR is not an open protocol and so without Dan and his people saying it is OK I do not believe it is right to do so. They are in business and this is their lively hood. I do it as a hobby and so it is done for the enjoyment for me. I doubt they would ever tell me it is OK so the flip is the protocol to run it will be published shortly and they will be more than welcome to include it into their software to run my smart strings. I do not expect this either because it would then compete with the Cosmic Color Ribbons which they likely do not want.

They are a great company and people, but that is the point they are a company, when you sell finished products or make profits from them it is a business you are not here to give stuff away like we are but instead to make money on it and get as many people to use it as you can.

Getting as many people to use our stuff as possible is a pride thing for us. For them it is about paying their people and putting food on the table.

If I could have made it LOR compatible I would is the point, but I can not mess with businesses like LOR, What if they decided I was infringing on the protocol? Then they sue me and the hobby that I have no income from cost me lots of money. Then I have to stop designing stuff.

Right now we are small enough I doubt they pay any attention to us at all. I know who Dan at LOR is but I seriously doubt he knows who RJ is?

Now if lots of users like our stuff enough that they move from Lor S2 to LSP just because they can not run our stuff in LOR software. They may take notice and be more open to adding the protocols into S2 or allowing use to make our stuff work with it. Again this is likely not going to happen.

Sorry,
All this ramboling was just to explain why it is not compatible with LOR.  <fp.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline batdive

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2010, »

It is not hard for me to make a box that converts LOR to PixelNet, Just as it is possible to make firmware for the Expresses that would run either DMX or LOR protocol.

Sorry,
All this ramboling was just to explain why it is not compatible with LOR.  <fp.

RJ

RJ, Am I correct under the assumption that LOR boxes can run DMX so if a person with LOR Hardware (not software since that only sends out the LOR protocol) and Vixen or LSP can run the modified dongle to send Pixelnet to the controller and you said there is a DMX out to give you 512 channels of DMX.  You can then run that to the LOR boxes and Cat 5 daisy chain from there.  That should work correct?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2010, »
Yes, When I say LOR compatible I mean with their software. Anyone can use LOR boxes as DMX devices with Vixen or LSP using Lynx hardware along side it.

RJ

Offline castortiu

« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2010, »
WOW… I have been so busy preparing my display that I missed the whole topic :).

This is amazing and I’d love using them for 2011.

This year I did all my sequences with Prancer but still is far from be released to the public, you bet that in the release candidate I will include support for SS, I’m already have in mind hundred of things you can do with these beasts and the kind of effects you could create when synchronizing multiple strings.

RJ, since Prancer does not work with a grid and the effects are base on the total effect duration, Prancer can produce very smooth fades since uses the max DMX resolution at 25ms (40 FPS), enough to play animations and videos per pixel level at real time, so the question is what is the minimum period resolution SSs can provide? or really if I understand property the question is what is the minimum period PixelNet protocol can handle?

Cas.

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2010, »
RJ, I know you have mentioned a computer power supply for use with these.  What ratings in the power supply are you looking at to cover everything.  Reason, I ask is I used one of these during another project this year and are nice and think and fit in the standard Express enclosure, which obviously a computer one would not and am curious if it would power these nicely (or what limits to powering them).

Thanks in advance

Is it a good idea to put the power supply into a standard Express case?  Looking at the specs of that PS, it relies on air flow to keep the unit cool (no fan).  The Express case has no holes.  So you would have to mount a fan and cut holes into the case.  Which is both possible, but then how do you address weather resistance.

Actually, that's an interesting thought.  Is the idea to put the injector/splitter in the yard with the power supply?  Or would you put this in the house/garage and run cat 5 cables all over?

Nice looking PS BTW. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2010, »
Ok I think the thread is getting a little hijacked with all the "this is what I am going to do ect".

This thread in about the Lynx Smart Strings lets try to keep it on track please. not gripping it's just as much my fault but we need to get back to the topic.

RJ

Offline batdive

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2010, »
RJ - I know you are getting ready for your show and busy as can be (I assume there will be some video of your Smart String Mega tree to wet our appetite)

>.d9

But any chance to get a chase / fading to colors demo video to wet our whistle before then?  IE Chasing like 2 or 3 pixals down and back the strand, fading from colors.  I have a vision of using these on rooflines and window outling and just want to see a little more so I can start measuring for what I will need.

Also do you foresee a wireless option somewhere in 2011?  We are doing a neighborhood display (Xmas 2010 is 4 houses) and I am not sure about running the CAT5 across the street for 2011 Pixelnet updates  ;D  I assuming the wireless would just be the pixelnet protocol as each house would need its own controller to inject the power.

Thanks in advance and keep up the awesome work.   <res.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, by batdive »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2010, »
Where can you buy those diffuser covers?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2010, »
RJ - I know you are getting ready for your show and busy as can be (I assume there will be some video of your Smart String Mega tree to wet our appetite)

>.d9

But any chance to get a chase / fading to colors demo video to wet our whistle before then?  IE Chasing like 2 or 3 pixals down and back the strand, fading from colors.  I have a vision of using these on rooflines and window outling and just want to see a little more so I can start measuring for what I will need.

Also do you foresee a wireless option somewhere in 2011?  We are doing a neighborhood display (Xmas 2010 is 4 houses) and I am not sure about running the CAT5 across the street for 2011 Pixelnet updates  ;D  I assuming the wireless would just be the pixelnet protocol as each house would need its own controller to inject the power.

Thanks in advance and keep up the awesome work.   <res.

There is no wireless option for the PixelNet. Since I can not say there will be I would not plan on it for 2011. 

There will be a much more in depth demo of the smart strings and what they can do and how you program them in the next video in a day or two.

Thats what I meant by "More information will be out in about a week" in my early post. I have been fininshing the software utility to program them and cleaning up some on the firmware so they would be 100% user ready.

RJ

Offline ptone

« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2010, »
You say pixelnet is an open protocol - do you have a rough spec somewhere?

Also, could you envision a different version of the hub that communicates directly via ethernet?

What I'm thinking is something that combines some of the features of the EthConGateway with the existing hub, and skips the dongle all together.  Yes it would be a more expensive hub, but would it be more than dongle+hub?

This would allow SS to work without a dongle, and allow for even greater topography flexibility.  By using E1.31 as a standard - you would stay compatible with all DMX software, but not be limited to the channel limit of dongles.

I believe the whole EthConGateway project is open source.

I just got my EthConGateway and have been working on some custom DMX software.  While I could probably build in support for pixelnet, seems it would be possible to stick with current standards instead of having to create a new one.  The world is bigger than just LSP and Vixen...

-Preston
--
budding channel wrangler