Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 175805 times)

Offline JerryPlak

Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2010, »
RJ ,
More Wow  I like all the reading  <pop..  <pop..
Jerry Plak

Offline csf

« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The new dongle will not be out by the coop. I have other things that must be tested and presented before the coop so you know what you are ordering and The new dongle will take a lot of testing. There will be a full beta of it using users.

Your only answer would be two dongles. I have tested this in Vixen and it is possible.

RJ

Okay thanks for the info, now I can plan accordingly.

I like the sound of the hints your drooping... some thing tells me where in for a big year next year  ;D

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2010, »
Long Demo video of programming the Smart Strings and how it connects ect.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2010, »
Hi RJ,

Thank you for the extended video. I was going to reply sooner but dinner and son's homework came first :)

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2010, »
During the COOP will we be able to order strings that are the length we need or are they all going to be a standard length. Example; lets say I need 2strings 10', 6 strings 25' & 25 30' can we order this way?

I can not wait to change to these.

Mike

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2010, »
If these are like other similar pixel strings, the length doesnt matter as you can cut these at any length and join others together. Due to the fact that each pixel gets its address from the previous pixel this means you can cut down to individual pixels. If you have a string that is too long, then cut it down to size. Use the remainder somewhere else or join them to a shorter string or keep a few as spares that can just be cut and put in line if a pixel fails
Pixel strings are very versitile in that way

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2010, »
During the COOP will we be able to order strings that are the length we need or are they all going to be a standard length. Example; lets say I need 2strings 10', 6 strings 25' & 25 30' can we order this way?

I can not wait to change to these.

Mike

Dad and I talked about this and the issue is sorting once they arrive. We decided to compromise. I orignally was going to just say any length  like  1 - 28 pixels long and one 32 pixels long.

Now image the work to count each string to make sure it is the 32 and not a 28.  <md..

So we are going to have a number of different lenghts.

10 , 20, 35, 50, 70, 100, 128

That way you will be able to order fairly close to what you think you want.

Then as Eddy said you can cut and put them back together all you want.  so if you wanted 90 order a 70 and a 20 and put them together. It will cost the same.

Since they come bundled already there would be enought difference we can sort them by weight for size this way.

Make sense to everyone.

RJ

Offline batdive

« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2010, »
Awesome video RJ, let the  >.d9 begin.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2010, »
Hi RJ,

Is there a way to calculate the required amps (size of pc power supply) needed to all of the nodes we want?

Example: 16 SSC with 100 nodes each

or is there a handy dandy Lynx amp calculator built into the SSC program utility

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2010, »
Hi RJ,

Is there a way to calculate the required amps (size of pc power supply) needed to all of the nodes we want?

Example: 16 SSC with 100 nodes each

or is there a handy dandy Lynx amp calculator built into the SSC program utility

Cheers

Rick R.

Let me get back to you on it Rick. I will be posting a formula but not ready for that yet.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2010, »
Got prices on pcb's and parts for the Smart String Controller and looks like the coop price if we do 250 (should be easy to do this I would think) is about $7.89 each not including paypal/coop fee and shipping.  I checked and even at 1000 qty the parts are all in stock for it at mouser.

Even at 10 qty it is only like $10 - $11 

I am still working on the hub's DMX output so do not have it yet will not be very costly either.

Looks like the cat5 cables will also be a good deal if we get even a small amount.

RJ

Offline ponddude

« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2010, »
RJ,

Will the price per pixel vary depending on the length?  Say if we got a string of 70, would it be different than a string of 128?

Greg
Greg

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2010, »
RJ,

Will the price per pixel vary depending on the length?  Say if we got a string of 70, would it be different than a string of 128?

Greg

Nope! 

All the same so mine were all 100 long and I made them what I wanted. The price is by the node so it is $.xx times x many nodes.
Then we will divide the shipping up by how many nodes were ordered and add that to your total.

Lets say the nodes are $.63 each and we get 5000 of them, And the shipping comes to $100.

You ordered 200 of them so :

$100 shipping / 5000 =   $.02

So you owe $.63 for pixel + .02 for shipping so $.65 per pixel total * 200 = $130

plus of course all the other great stuff your going to order on the coop like hardware, cat5 cables, power supplys, Led strips, ect.   <;d

Hope this makes sense.

RJ

Offline ponddude

« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2010, »
OK, now I really am thinking here...

Dan over at LOR said that LOR will be releasing an ethernet gateway within the next year.  There is also mention of the fact that the iDMX is going away, which leads me to believe that whatever this ethernet gateway is will also support DMX. Of course I am just speculating here.  This most likely means that there may be a way to cross over the LOR ethernet gateway with the upcoming Smart String gateway.

Hmmmmmm..........
Greg

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2010, »
Responding to several previous posts...

Using xLights allows you to sequence in LOR and output to DMX without an iDMX *today* (one of many combinations that xLights supports). Adding support to xLights for RJ's enhanced dongle should be straight forward. So that would theoretically give you a path to use LOR to sequence and output to Smart Strings. Furthermore, we plan to add 1.31 support next spring, which would give you another path (via the next gen 1.31 dongle).

Matt
Matt Brown