Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 175794 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2010, »

It is simply guys but some of you are saying it backwards.

The unit works like individual pixel mode all the time in Hybird mode and a 50 node string would have 153 channels assigned to it instead of 150 channels. The first three would be assigned to 1 - Full string red, 2 - Full string blue, 3 - Full String Green.

The next 150 channels would control the 50 nodes individually as pixels.

If you set the first three to anything but zero the string reacts in String mode and turns all the nodes on to match.

If you leave the first three zero then it operates as a 150 channel pixel string. This means once programmed in Hybird you can do it all, swap back and forth live time.

Turn all blue on 50% with one channel and then turn on every other channels red by setting each channel you want on you get it?

So if the start channel for the string in HyBird was #100 then this is what its like :

Channel      

100 - controls all Red on the string
101 - controls all Green on the string
102 - controls all Blue on the string
103 - controls the red of the first node
104 - controls the green of the first node
105 - controls the blue of node one
106 - controls the red of node two

RJ
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2010, »
Yep... I get it now and it's close to what I suggested and much more clear now.  My question would be if you set channel 100 in your example to full on but you wanted node 2 to be all blue and no red could you do it and how?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2010, »
This has now become the Weber mega tree with a very minimum number of strings of lights. I think it is a great idea. And the new version of LSP cut sequencing 5000 channels to minutes not years.
RJ where is the end???????

Thanks Mike 

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2010, »
The mention of Galaxia made me wonder. What I remember about Galaxia's "calibration" mode made it look like your display needed to be fairly flat (2 dimensional, otherwise known as a plane).

Spiral trees rely on being 3 dimensional (otherwise known as a cone).

So I'm not sure that the Galaxia method would help. (but, I'm not a Galaxia owner, so I'm speculating)

Offline batdive

« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2010, »
RJ I like the idea of the 3 Hybrid channels.  Also makes it easier to do whole colors instead of turning on 150 grids you just turn on 1.

Work smarter not harder  ;D.

Offline monkey141

« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2010, »
I think it is a great option to have the hybrid capability. Great idea RJ.

Mike
Mike
Fair Lawn, NJ

Offline JerryPlak

« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2010, »
 >.d9  ;D ;D  <pop..
What can I say  <res. to RJ

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
RJ I like the idea of the 3 Hybrid channels.  Also makes it easier to do whole colors instead of turning on 150 grids you just turn on 1.

Work smarter not harder  ;D.

Jerry Plak

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2010, »
Hybrid mode seems like a workaround until software can make it easier.  I just wonder if a few years down the road we'll be looking back at the 24 extra bits being sent with each frame remembering how it used to be necessary.

Not saying that it won't simplify things right now, but in the spirit of simplification, it might make sense to be able to remove this functionality somewhere down the road (read: jumper on the board?).

Offline sakone1

« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2010, »
RJ. could the mega tree your planning be powered by a 12 battery with a solar charger?
Scott

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2010, »
I really like the hybrid mode idea. Don't stop now RJ what else do you have for us?  <pop..  <;d

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2010, »
Hybrid mode seems like a workaround until software can make it easier.  I just wonder if a few years down the road we'll be looking back at the 24 extra bits being sent with each frame remembering how it used to be necessary.

Not saying that it won't simplify things right now, but in the spirit of simplification, it might make sense to be able to remove this functionality somewhere down the road (read: jumper on the board?).

No Jumper, your not understanding.

In the video you see me pick the mode with the utility and program the SSC. The choices were
Individual Pixels           
and           
3 Channel String

Now we would have a third choice
Hybird mode.

If you do not need it then you simply do set the SSC for it there is no permanant impact of having it avaliable as a choice.

RJ

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2010, »
I'll throw my 2 cents in here.  To me it sounds like the point RJ is trying to make is not that a change to the SSC is in the works but to the SCC programming application he developed.  Instead of the two options to select 3 channels for the entire string or 3 channels for each node you would have a third option called "Hybrid" which would program the SSC with all the individual node channels plus the 3 additional phantom channels on the front end. 

It would be the user getting to choose String Mode, Node Mode, or Hybrid Mode.

If I've got this wrong my apologies but that's how it sounds like this would work to me.

Alan T

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2010, »
I think Alan has it and that is very cool RJ.  Nice innovation and the strings aren't even out yet.

As far as Galaxia, I do not think they needed to be in a plain.  If I remember correctly one of their videos they showed a pile of Galaxia strings on the floor that they calibrated and sequenced.

Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2010, »
If the intention is to put the "smarts" in the string and not in the sequencer, then it makes more sense to do what LOR has done - a whole group of macros instead of one simple macro that just turns on each color.  Fades, jumps, chases, etc.  Then you just pull up the macros from channels 128+ (since it seems they don't support above 128 per SSC).

Thats not the intent to the level you are talking of I just think it will help until the software catches up and then you do not use Hybird mode any longer.

RJ

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2010, »
No Jumper, your not understanding.
Now we would have a third choice
Hybird mode.

If you do not need it then you simply do set the SSC for it there is no permanant impact of having it avaliable as a choice.

Ah - got it.  That makes sense:  A or B or A&B - just set the SSC to use whatever makes sense for the software you're using.