Author Topic: Turn off power between shows?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline crazybob

Turn off power between shows?
« on: November 04, 2010, »
Hey all-

I'm starting to wire our show for this year, and am way excited about using the Expresses for the first time. I was wondering... do the majority of people here leave power to them all month, or use a timer to cut the power to them between shows? Are they meant to be left on all the time? Does it do any good to give them a fresh restart every day?

Thanks!

Offline basis21b

Re: Turn off power between shows?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, »
In my display, they are powered on as each is added to the network and are powered down a minute or two before the lights are unplugged for the season.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, by basis21b »
Tom B

Offline batdive

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, »
I think this depends on the situation.  Some might have them turn on 30 minutes prior to the show to make sure the boot up is up and ready, while others leave them on to retain the heat and make sure they dont freeze (even adding C9's to keep the babies warm).

So I go with personally preference.  During the halloween season I left my 2 expresses for the show on full time and did not have any adverse side effects or heat issues (even being in the AZ sun where it got to 90+ several days).

Hope that helps.

JS

Offline crazybob

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, »
Do many people have problems with freezing? I'm using a v5 board, and I know it had some updates over the past versions... did the freezing problems get fixed?

Offline batdive

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do many people have problems with freezing? I'm using a v5 board, and I know it had some updates over the past versions... did the freezing problems get fixed?

I think it is more a problem with the overall temp.  RJ, designs his stuff to go like -40 degrees or some ludicrously cold amount that no one hope to get to or let alone go outside during =).  But on a side note, not me as I live on the other side of the temperature scale in Phoenix, I still think some people like to keep their electronics warm.

My outlook is try it out and if you dont see any issues then either leave them on or power them up like 5 minutes prior to the show.  Not sure where you are at in the world, but I again think it falls on personal preference.

Mine worked great left on, so most likely I will do the same for the Christmas season along with the two LE 5's i'll add in the mix.

Also for me I prefer to have them fired up so I can just take my laptop outside and do some testing /modifing of a sequence while sitting in front of the house at anytime and not have to chase down timers or climb back up on the roof.

-JS
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, by batdive »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yes a part change on the V4 and design change on V5 took care of it. They can operate down to -40C now as a few members did not get that cold but got down there last season.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tpctech

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, »
Always on!

I turn mine on about week before Thanksgiving and off after the first of the year.  My show runs from basically from Thanksgiving weekend till just after the first of the year.  Up here in Michigan it keeps then toasty warn and dry.  Typically moisture is the bigest problem with outdoor electronics. 

My 2 cents :)

KEN   

Offline Greg

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, »
I leave them on through the entire season unless I'm performing maintenance.  The LE's circuitry only consumes about 2 watts of power which is insignificant in the scope of things.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, »
Always on.  To much of a bother to turn them on and off to save a few pennies.  If you do it manually you always have to be home and go outside in the weather.  If you automate it using something else you spend more than you save imho.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA