Author Topic: WOOHOO My First Aether Built  (Read 2939 times)

Offline batdive

WOOHOO My First Aether Built
« on: November 10, 2010, »
Well after working up the nerve to try SMT, thinking I must of messed something up along the way (or put to much goop or what not) I had the following experience.

Cooking the Aether for the newbie is a fun experience (and a little worrisome for the SMT newbie), but to see the goop turn to solder is really cool.

After that I just went full steam, worried a little with the LEDs, just for the simple fact of their replacement value if I screw up.  But got them on and did a little different technique then RJ (I didn't have a flux pen).  So I used the method of heating the pin of the LED while pushing it down against the copper of the board.  Gave it a couple of seconds and then put some solder on the LED lead and kind of wicked it over to the point where the end of the lead is at the copper.  Added some more solder there and the two joined seamlessly.

The rest well that was a big relief as it was through the hole from there on out and allowed me time to catch my breath, slow my heart rate, and dump some adrenaline   ;D.

After that the first point of check for me was if the Pic would take the program.  The power light lit up with the Pickit 3 supplying power and programmed and verified the chip.  My first point I think you could hear an audible sigh of relief.

Finished up the board and buttoned it up with one major issue that I found.  I will detail the issue in a separate post for others safety to make sure they check before closing the case.

Ultimately after troubleshooting the above issue, I had a working Aether.  This was just the manual switch test as I need to take it back out and wire up the wireless.

On a side note, I didn't see it mentioned in the video, RJ thanks for including the through the holes for the EX/RX wires to attach to the board.  I was hoping not to have to order more parts from mouser and that design saved me.

Here is the first of 5 (If they all go this smooth (cross fingers...knock on wood)) Aethers ...

Thanks to RJ for the design, the challenge, and always raising the bar that a common man (or woman) can obtain to make their blinky light show better for cheaper.

-JS

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, by batdive »

Offline castortiu

Re: WOOHOO First Aether Built
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, »
Awesome and congrats!!!!

My Aether is built but the programmer doesn't see the PIC at all, I'm letting the PICKit supply the voltage, I'm not sure if I fried the PIC but I never went over 375 degrees for less than a minute. So still I’m troubleshooting.

I'm wonder what's the max temperature the components can take before they break.

Cas.

Offline batdive

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, »
Thanks Cas, I know I read your post and with the "first time jitters" and reading your experience it sent me for a little bit of a up and down roller coaster effect.  But thankfully it is done (and 4 more of those fun rides to go).

Do you have a good magnifying glass to look at all the parts of the pic?  Usually its pretty straight shot shot from the ICSP to the pic, so I would double check for solder bridges at various angles to see if you might have another one some place.

Hope you find the problem and able to get it up and running.  When you do remember to wear shades  ;D

Offline batdive

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here is the first of 5 (If they all go this smooth (cross fingers...knock on wood)) Aethers ...
-JS

Congrats on the accomplishment. It looks very good and I hope it gives you good service and much happiness in the years to come.

You have to admit once you get over the nerves it is pretty striaght forward. Is it as bright as you expect?

Just continue on with the same concern as I see people do well on the first of something and then get cocky and hurry and have issues with the next ones.

RJ

Thanks RJ, and yes I agree.  Thankfully since its SMD and I am no where near "comfortable" with doing it, I go very slow.  So I hope the 2nd through 5th go as smooth and I'll avoid the electrified copper backing this time  from the start ;D.

I agree the nerves of basically doing like 20 parts and soldering them at once and obviously something I have never done before was the hardest part, but it was a fun challenge also and well worth it.

Is it bright enough?  All I can say is oh yes the Aether is pretty bright and I had to reenact your move when your blinded your dad when he was filming you build it, except I did it to my wife. LOL

So bright i have to wear shades...

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, »
Well after working up the nerve to try SMT, thinking I must of messed something up along the way (or put to much goop or what not) I had the following experience.

Cooking the Aether for the newbie is a fun experience (and a little worrisome for the SMT newbie), but to see the goop turn to solder is really cool.

After that I just went full steam, worried a little with the LEDs, just for the simple fact of their replacement value if I screw up.  But got them on and did a little different technique then RJ (I didn't have a flux pen).  So I used the method of heating the pin of the LED while pushing it down against the copper of the board.  Gave it a couple of seconds and then put some solder on the LED lead and kind of wicked it over to the point where the end of the lead is at the copper.  Added some more solder there and the two joined seamlessly.

The rest well that was a big relief as it was through the hole from there on out and allowed me time to catch my breath, slow my heart rate, and dump some adrenaline   ;D.

After that the first point of check for me was if the Pic would take the program.  The power light lit up with the Pickit 3 supplying power and programmed and verified the chip.  My first point I think you could hear an audible sigh of relief.

Finished up the board and buttoned it up with one major issue that I found.  I will detail the issue in a separate post for others safety to make sure they check before closing the case.

Ultimately after troubleshooting the above issue, I had a working Aether.  This was just the manual switch test as I need to take it back out and wire up the wireless.

On a side note, I didn't see it mentioned in the video, RJ thanks for including the through the holes for the EX/RX wires to attach to the board.  I was hoping not to have to order more parts from mouser and that design saved me.

Thanks to RJ for the design, the challenge, and always raising the bar that a common man (or woman) can obtain to make their blinky light show better for cheaper.

-JS

Did you not get a flux pen in your box of parts?
There should have been one pen with every SMD kit.  If it is missing let me know and I will get one to you.

Bill

Offline batdive

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, »
Did you not get a flux pen in your box of parts?
There should have been one pen with every SMD kit.  If it is missing let me know and I will get one to you.

Bill

I didn't see it but their is a chance it got buried someplace and I didnt see it.  I will double check when I get home and let you know.

Thanks Bill, btw again awesome job and kudos for the coop.

-JS

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, »
OK let me know if you can not find it and I will get one sent out to you.

Bill

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, by batdive »

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, »
Congratulations on your first Aether.  I have been waiting to hear success stories like you. 

How much time did it take you to complete the baking the board?  I am thinking of starting tonight, but want to ensure I allocate enough time.

Offline batdive

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, »
Baking the actual board was only like 10 mins or so.  The longest part of that stretch is just putting the goop on and placing the small "dots" on.

I had a netbook with me so I could play the videos as I did each part which made it easier to see exactly what RJ was doing or what I should be looking for.  I had to push parts down of the board to aid in the cooking on the two boards I have done.

It was fun, take your first slow and steady.

Offline batdive

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, »
OK let me know if you can not find it and I will get one sent out to you.

Bill

Bill I checked and there was no pen anywhere in the box.  So if you have a spare I'll take it, if not no worries.  My method seemed to work pretty good also.

Thanks

JS

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
Re: WOOHOO My First Aether Built
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, »
I will send you one.

Bill