Author Topic: How to ramp a pattern  (Read 2186 times)

Offline zwiller

How to ramp a pattern
« on: November 13, 2010, »
Not sure of the correct terminology, but say I have a cool little pattern (or portion of a sequence) that utilizes 4 channels and I want to continue the pattern but fade/ramp it down, much like fade out of a song.  Obviously, selecting ramping will overwrite the cells.  Tried boolean AND with ramping (which I thought would work) no dice. 

Any ideas, vixen pros?  Thanks in advance.

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Re: How to ramp a pattern
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, »
Hello Z.  I hope there is an answer.  I also would like to be able to do that.  The only thing I know to do is ramp down from a solid.  I have manually did it but is takes a lot of time.
I will be watching this thread.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, »
The boolean AND should do the trick for you.

Create a ramp off that uses 4 channels, copy it, select the area to fade down, boolean paste.

I ramp off most of my songs, and it works great.

Kyle
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, by kylec »
Excess is Success
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jap813

• if you believe it, you can achieve it
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, »
The way I do it is select the cells you want to ramp down and use the fade or f button.

Offline prof

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, »
Using the Boolean AND paste function to apply a ramp-off to a sequence will only work reliably if the the section of the sequence to be faded has cells at either 100% intensity or 0%. Applying the Boolean AND method to fade cells with intermediate intensities will give unwanted results.

The technique given below uses the shortcut key combination Ctrl-Dn (hold down the control key and press the down arrow key). It is a roundabout method but I do not know of any current one-click method of doing this.

The default for Ctrl-Dn I think is to decrease all selected cells by 10%. This value can be set from Tools – Preferences – Sequence editing. Enter a new value in “Intensity adjust large change (% points)".

Select the cells of the sequence that you want to start fading out. Then use the  Ctrl-Dn key combination to drop the intensity level.

Then move a few cells to the Right, reselecting the remainder of the sequence to be faded. Once again use Ctrl-Dn to decrease intensity.

Keep repeating this process. Eventually you will get to the point where the sequence has entirely faded to 0% and you can stop.

Depending on the type of sequence you wish to fade  it may make the section shorter than you want so you will need to select more cells to the right of your desired end point to compensate for this.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, by prof »

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, »
Thanks guys. 

After kylec said boolean AND should work I tried it a few different ways.  Figured out my problem.  I thought the boolean paste dropdown defaulted to the last used type.  Or in other words I was just hitting the boolean paste button and nothing was working.  One time I used the dropdown to the right and selected AND and bingo! all my channels are fading to the sequence.   8)

Actual way I do it now: highlight area, hit copy, hit ramp off, select boolean paste AND from the dropdown of the boolean button. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline prof

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, »
Oops just gone back and edited my post as I just realised that I left out why I use the technique I described as an alternate to Boolean AND (which I do use at times).

Offline theavguy99

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, »
Wow! that seems to work perfectly... wish I had know how to do this last year.  Would have made life a lot easier!  Very effective to have a pattern established and be able to fade the pattern out at the end of a song.