Author Topic: Cranking down the brightness  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
Cranking down the brightness
« on: November 13, 2010, »
RJ, since this is the first year I'm doing a light display, I don't want my Aethers to be too bright and scare/shock my neighbors too much.

I know that I can lower the brightness of the lights using software, but do you imagine any harm to covering a lens with a square of electrical tape to cut down the brightness by 1/6th for example? I suppose there wouldn't be any issues with heat and melting, considering that I live up North where it actually gets cold in December, unlike warm sunny Winter destinations such as Arizona or Florida?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Cranking down the brightness
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, »
I would worry the tape would melt and damage the lens of the led. also the pattern would be funny as in a dim spot in the lighted area I expect. 
RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline batdive

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, »
I don't want my Aethers to be too bright

Blasphemy  :D.

RJ, think he means putting tape on the added 6 degree/15 degree /30 degree  lenses and not directly on the LED lens.

My preference would be to just dim it through the sequence  If you are using vixen you can make a limit pretty easy that any "on" or "ramp on" command will go to that max that way you get the intensity the way you want it and not messing with the light spread.

-JS

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, »
How about using the gels they use for stage lighting - they probably have frosted versions and they are made to take the heat. Something along the lines of: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. These would help blend the colors a bit better as well.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, »
Well the good side of it is this:

How many DIY LED floodlights have users trying to figure ways to make them dimmer!   ;D

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline batdive

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, »
Well the good side of it is this:

How many DIY LED floodlights have users trying to figure ways to make them dimmer!   ;D

RJ

<la..   <la..   <la..

That gave me a good chuckle.  Very true