Author Topic: Freestyle issues? HELP!!!  (Read 2661 times)

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Freestyle issues? HELP!!!
« on: November 15, 2010, »
Hello all, I could sure use some help.

I  have been reading and testing my Freestyle.  Here is the history:  SSR4 connected to Freestyle and no response to the lights on the SSR4 during test. I know Vixen and the Dongle are working ,I have 3 LE connected, they are starting at address 130.  I could not get a start channel to program using all methods I have found on the subject for the Freestyle.  I reprogram the PIC and now there is a change.  When I start Vixen  sequence I get a com error, I have always had this happen however. I unplug the usb and plug back in, run a sequence and the LE take off and when I connect an SSR4 to any port, the lights come on and stay on. They are not doing a sequence or responding to a test.  they are full on only.  Before I unplug the usb they are off.    I have check every solder joint and verified every chip direction with the silkscreen and checked every socket for bent legs on the chips.  I am using Vixen 2.5.0.8.  Thanks for the help.  I am just in tunnel brain and cant get out.  Kevin

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Freestyle issues? HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, »
I would say check the solder joints and reflow them around the RJ-45 jack and the RS-485

the FS is seeing all channels on going by your statement

OR

The SSR4 has a problem

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, »
I have re-touch all joints and check all chips.  All the SSR4 are reacting the same.  I have done all the voltage checks in the trouble shooting at the end of the manual in the wiki and they are fine.  I am guessing it is either a bad load on the pic or Vixen is having issues.  To clarify a little. The lights will be off when I start a Vixen sequence and FS and LE do not respond.  I get a com port error. When I stop the sequence, remove the usb for a count of 3 and plug it back in Vixen starts fine the LE's work fine and the FS sends a signal to the SSR4's and all light are on 100% with no control. I have Vixen running a random pattern so all lights should not  be 100%.  In the test mode of the sequence I get nothing from the FS or SSR4's and the LE's respond fine.  Any other ideas?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, »
Try RJ's DMX Deck program or my startpattern program. Both are in the Wiki in the software section.

The idea is just try to see if a hardware or software problem.

Not sure why you need to start and stop a seq along with pulling the usb cable. Is the usb cable being plugged directly into the computer or in a hub?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, »
The usb is direct to the computer.  This is a consistent problem since moving to this version of Vixen.  I have the dongle tied to a profile. I will keep hitting it tonight.  I have used RJ's start address utility and the one through vixen.  I do appreciate your help. Kevin

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, »
KC the programmer of Vixen has stated that 2.5 is a beta version and 2.1 is the stable version. I tried 2.5 last year but moved back to 2.1 for it reliability

Hope the info helps

Rick R.

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, »
I think that is the path I will take. thanks again for the help. Kevin

Offline jap813

• if you believe it, you can achieve it
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, »
I have had the same issue with the com port, I have to go into vixen and change it in my profile then all works great

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, »
First I would like to thank Rick R. for the sugeestions of using RJ's DMX Deck and Rick Start pattern Program.  I learned it was really not a software, but kinda hardware problem.  I must say it was a definite human problem.  Between the Pink eye and cold medicine I had flashed the PIC with MR16 Firmware.  It realy is amazing how wel the fS works when it has the correct firmware. All 128 are working just fine.  Thanks to everyone for making this hobbie fun.

I moved back to an earlier version of Vixen and the port issue is also no longer a problem for me.  Time to go eat crow and hope someone learns from my mistake.

Kevin