Author Topic: First Aether Built... But it has the Blues :(  (Read 2830 times)

Offline thshadow

First Aether Built... But it has the Blues :(
« on: November 17, 2010, »
Okay so first.. AWESOME JOB to RJ... So now I just finished putting the first aether together... Then well didn't work... read and re-read and realized I put the diodes reversed (left-right)... okay so fixed that... All good... Programmed the pic... Looks good... Turn it on and it flashes purple... Then go to program it with the Express utility and well... It doesn't flash/cycle through the colors; I just end up on all 6 in Blue... Thus why my aether got the blues...

Thinking maybe recheck the re-solder on the diodes or ? Any thoughts on where to begin after that?

-Mike

Offline Trike

Re: First Aether Built... But it has the Blues :(
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, »
Are you using a lynx dongle to program it? Have you tried another program to send channels 1-4 to it? I'm guessing you're using the new firmware that was just released.

I'm having the same problem as you and i'm using a enttec dongle. But I can use another program and send channels 1-4 to it and it works.

Offline thshadow

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, »
Hmm... Yes I am using a Lynx Dongle and I have tried to program via the Express Utility to change to a start channel of 33... I have tried Vixen to send data to channels 1-40 to see if I can a response but don't seem to.. I haven't tried the new firmware that just got posted.. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow with the new firmware... Also going to test the dongle just in case...

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, »
First step is to flash it with the current firmware and try it. do not program channels and curves. Just use the settings as they are channel 1 with the curves for the Aether already loaded as it is in the current firmare posted tonight. 

If it does not work it is time then to begin troubleshooting. If it works on channel 1 then you can go ahead and set the start channel.

Let me know.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline thshadow

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, »
Okay well with the firmware update I went from all Blue to what seems normal operation until I plug in the ethernet cable and then I go to blinking red on a LEDs. It seems to blink along with the GREEN LED give or take... So I went from the steady BLUEs to now BLINK ALONG REDs... I was thinking hmm maybe the issue would be a bridge around the LED or DMX ports but for the life of me I can't seem to find one...

Any other thoughts as to what may be the issue?

- Mike

Offline CW

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, »
I have the same issue as this post so I hope it is OK post my problem here.
This is my second Aether built, first one I was not able to program the pic.  We worked on the problem but I failed at de-soldering.
This one programed successful.  But only blue lights up.  I use a iDMX dongle and chanels 1 are blue (sb white) and 4 is blue when I use the LOR console, no red or green.  I just loaded the Aether Diag.hex file dated 12/1 and it only flashes blue.  In time, it is off for 3 seconds then on for 1 second with blue.  I have looked and re-looked for bridged circuits, even took it to work today so that I could use a microscope.  I especially looked under the pic and drivers.  At the magnafication I used, I could see flux and tiny specks of solder, but for the life of me I could not find anything wrong as in grounding or bridged circuits.  I have touched up the pic and drivers with my soldering iron.  I have flashed the pic several times.  I really don't want to be 0 and 2 on these.  I am going to take it to work tomorrow and use our camera there to take pictures of both sides and post them all to see if anyone can see something wrong.

Craig

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, »
I will wait for the pictures and maybe we can see something.

RJ

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, »
I built 2 Aethers and one had no blue LED's working, and one had no green LED's working. What I did was ohm out between the pins for the constant current drivers and the pad for that particular pin, and found one leg on each driver (same as the LED color that wasn't working in that particular Aether) showing an open, no solder joint. I resoldered those particular legs on the driver chips and the LED's work like a charm. I've attached a picture with the drivers circled with the letter for the color also showing. If only certain colors are not working, I would start at the drivers. One very important thing I learned from soldering these boards, in worrying about putting too much solder paste on the boards, I put too little, I'll know better next time. Hope this helps,

Bill

Offline CW

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, »
Bill, I was worried about using too much solder paste also, maybe I am lean on solder. 

When you say you used a ohm meter, are you checking continuity or resistance? But I now read that you found a open circuit so continuity is waht you are checking for open circuit.  Tracing the circuits back is little difficuilt for me not being a electronics guy, but I am learning and enjoy the challange.  I will examine when I get home.  Thanks for posting your picture, that helps.

Here are some pictures of the board.  The battery went dead before I saw them.  I will check back before I go home and see if more or better pictures are needed.
Craig

Offline CW

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, »
Got it!! Thank you thank you thank you gentlemen!  The diag program made it easy RJ, thanks for making it.  I did the red circuit first, touched up the driver and other components around the red driver and no luck. Touched up red at the pic and no luck.  Touched up all the red on the leds and success.  Red and blue worked.  Then I worked on the green side, drivers and components, no luck, then the pic pin 4 and walla!  RED GREEN BLUE!! Am I typing ok cus i has spots in my eyes, which never flet sooo good.

Thanks again,
Craig

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, »
Glad to hear it!

We are getting the last few fixed so making progress.

RJ

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, »
Awesome