Author Topic: Wireless distance problem  (Read 1405 times)

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
Wireless distance problem
« on: November 18, 2010, »
Let others learn from my mistakes. I built a new EX/RX version 2. When I tested it, it would work OK but only for about 150 feet and any obstacle would get in its way. Had this been my first EX/RX I would have said, OK wireless works but not very good. But I had built other EX/RX and knew I could reach anywhere on my property. I knew I could transmit from the front yard, thru my house and still receive it anywhere in my back yard. So I knew something was wrong. After much rework and careful inspection I found, when I built it, I had put the jumpers on for both unit 2 and unit 3 (for storage). Removed the jumpers and it worked anywhere perfectly. 
Point being, had I not known wireless worked better than that, I may have just thought it was not very good. People having distance problems, check your jumpers and for bridges on those pins.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: Wireless distance problem
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, »
I just need to make sure as I fit this category.  On  the transmitter I have one jumper set on the TX side.  On the receivers I don't have no jumpers at all.  Is this correct?

Thanks Jeff

Offline i1uhrace

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just need to make sure as I fit this category.  On  the transmitter I have one jumper set on the TX side.  On the receivers I don't have no jumpers at all.  Is this correct?

Thanks Jeff

If you only have one wireless universe than you would be correct.
Carnation Christmas

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks Jeff

That depends.  The version 2 transmitter is actually a transceiver and it always needs that jumper in place to tell it what to do, either transmitt or receive.  The other set of jumpers are used to tell it what channel to transmit or receive on and no jumpers in place means channel 1.  The depends part is what you are using on the receiving end.  If you are using another Ver 2 TX/RX unit, then it also needs the jumper on the TX/RX pins placed in the RX position to make it a receiver.  If it is a Ver 1 stand alone receiver or any version of the EX/RX receiver then they have no TX/RX jumper as they are receive only devices  and only have jumpers to set the channel they are receiving on.  No jumpers in place sets them to channel 1 which is what you have your transmitter set to so if that is the configuration that you are using then that would be correct.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, »
This explains thing better.  My setup was correct.  The only thing I didn't check was trying channel 2 or 3.  I will try that next.