Author Topic: Servo Control  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Jobefx

Servo Control
« on: November 18, 2010, »
Will the MR16 control servos? I just looking at controlling standard rc type servos.  If so do you need to modify the mr16 in anyway?

Alternately will the LOR servo dog work with a freestyle and vixen?

Does anybody have any better solutions to control a servo?

Thanks for your help

Offline ponddude

Re: Servo Control
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, »
The MR16 controller will not control servos.  Servos are not just on and off.  They are controlled by pulse widths and need to get that somewhere to move.  This is why they have 3 wires.  You need a servo controller to control servos.  You can use the ServoDog with the Lynx equipment.  You just need the latest firmware on the ServoDog so it supports DMX.  It is very easy to use though and what I used to control my animated Frosty.  I believe there is also someone on DIYC who created a DMX based servo controller, but I am not 100% sure who it was.
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, »
I believe there is also someone on DIYC who created a DMX based servo controller, but I am not 100% sure who it was.

Frank made a board - he has them on his store at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. I have two of these but haven't built them yet (they were going to be for *this* Halloween... oh well...).

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, »
Ponddude,

Have you used the ServoDog with DMX or with LOR software?
It looks like it has servo range limits which you can set on the board (which is an important feature for me) but I'm curious if you need to LOR software in order to set these limits?
The only other DMX servo controller with adjustable limits I know of is the "Board of Chuckie" and it was around $150 (not even sure if it is available anymore).

Bob

The MR16 controller will not control servos.  Servos are not just on and off.  They are controlled by pulse widths and need to get that somewhere to move.  This is why they have 3 wires.  You need a servo controller to control servos.  You can use the ServoDog with the Lynx equipment.  You just need the latest firmware on the ServoDog so it supports DMX.  It is very easy to use though and what I used to control my animated Frosty.  I believe there is also someone on DIYC who created a DMX based servo controller, but I am not 100% sure who it was.
zappedmyself.com

Offline Jobefx

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am ordering a couple of the renard boards from kostyun. I found the board of chuckie on a site called SkullTronix but it has a hefty price tag $190 for a complete board.  For now I will try the renard boards as they are the cheaper option and I need to operate 32 servos. I am making a Bellagio fountain out of light up candy canes. They will dance and move back and forth as well as do the blinky flashy thing. It unfortunately wont move this year but should look cool next year.

Offline rcouto

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, »
Hi Jobefx

I too have been looking into this however I have not yet executed upon my research.  I have not inquired about the cost however it does look like a neat solution.

Here's some links that might be of interest;

For details on the board;

Here' s a video of what it is;

Just thought I would share
Ricardo

Offline ponddude

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, »
Ponddude,

Have you used the ServoDog with DMX or with LOR software?
It looks like it has servo range limits which you can set on the board (which is an important feature for me) but I'm curious if you need to LOR software in order to set these limits?
The only other DMX servo controller with adjustable limits I know of is the "Board of Chuckie" and it was around $150 (not even sure if it is available anymore).

Bob

In order to use the limits on the ServoDog you need to use the ServoDog utility.  I am not 100% sure if that is included in the demo version of the software though.  In it you can select all 8 ports and tell the control where to start, stop and where you want the center to be...than program that into the controller.  You can also change the servo ports to be used as inputs or outputs...blah blah blah.  I would check on the LOR forums to see if it is included in the demo software...or better yet just download the demo.
Greg

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, »

He was selling them for $90.00 back in May...
I thought about it but really want something with range limits as this really saves your project from distruction if your control software goes south or you make a mistake in programming it.. Not needed if your project makes use of the full use of the servio range but most of mine don't...

Bob

Hi Jobefx

I too have been looking into this however I have not yet executed upon my research.  I have not inquired about the cost however it does look like a neat solution.

Here's some links that might be of interest;

For details on the board;

Here' s a video of what it is;

Just thought I would share
Ricardo
zappedmyself.com

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am ordering a couple of the renard boards from kostyun.

Just to clarify - Frank's servo boards are pure DMX - no Renard protocol at all there. He based it off Henne's work (and says so) here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.