Author Topic: Possible wireless glitch  (Read 16591 times)

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Possible wireless glitch
« on: November 18, 2010, »
Tonight I did some testing of my Lynx system using the wireless.

Let me explain my configuration.

Computer to IDMX > wireless & direct connect.

Turning on a few channels in both wireless and direct connect controllers, I noticed the wireless controllers occasionally would see a flash but not the direct connect controllers.

Looking closer at the flash I noticed that the channel that was on would go off for a fraction of a second and the channel number below would flash on during that time. It happened on all the wireless channels that where steady on.

I have 2 RX's running. one with a single LE5 and the other with 2 LE5s', all did the flash at the same time but no flash on the direct connect controllers.

With all channels off there is no problems, only when channels are turned on.

I need some suggestions, Tomorrow night will try the Lynx Dongle but do not think that will make any difference as the direct connect controllers do not have the flash problem.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Possible wireless glitch
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, »
I have a somewhat similar problem.  V4 LE  no problems in wired mode.  In wireless mode, using V2 transmitter either a V1 or V2 EXRX I get occasional flashes.  This is how I can see them consistently.  LE set for 001.  Bring up vixen and invoke test channels.  all on and all off show everything ok.  I click on chan 1 only and then use my keyboard down arrow to walk thru the channels one at a time.  some of the channels flassh flash after going to the next higher channel.  ie. move from 8 to 9 and 8 flashes.  move from 12 to 13 and 12 flashes, etc.  I have updated all my LEs and all my wireless to the latest firmware, but maybe I should do it again, but in wired mode everything works with no problems.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, »
I noticed something similar but I only seen the LED on channel  ( I think 16)  flash.  Wired I have not seen any ill effects.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, »
Something I will have to look at but not able to right away.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ron d

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, »
I had a similar issue last year and it was also in the standalone receivers. only one transmitter did it and luckily i had a backup.
The version 2 standalones  all worked perfect as  tx and rx.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, »
I will also try my second transmitter, forgot that in my testing last night.

My flash just comes on the lower channel even if I did not previously turned it on.  

It is definitely being transmitted.

RX 1 has channels 001-032

RX 2 has 81-96

And I see the same flash in sync on both receivers.

Update:

I just thought of another item to try. In 2008 LOR had an issue like this even on direct connection and it turned out to be the USB cable.  Many users had to find a better quality USB cable with ferrite beads.  I am using one with a single ferrite bead and will try a different cable tonight .
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, by Dennis Cherry »

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, »
More testing today.

Started the test again using the same equipment again, Flashing started a few seconds after turning on one or various channels.

No pattern could be established.  Wiggled, bumped, and shaked everything to no avail.

Put the second transmitter in and still the same flashing.

All direct connect units where rock solid during all the testing.

It looks like the DMX output from the transmitter is going out of sync.

Could it be a power supply problem?  using a 6 volt DC  360ma Wall wort.

Did notice the more the TX was on it looked like the flashing would  be less random.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, »
I was having some flashing and flickering with wireless until I moved the transmitter to a higher spot.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
More testing today.

Started the test again using the same equipment again, Flashing started a few seconds after turning on one or various channels.

No pattern could be established.  Wiggled, bumped, and shaked everything to no avail.

Did notice the more the TX was on it looked like the flashing would  be less random.

Any chance you have interference from other transmitters like wifi. Try a different universe and see what you find.

RJ

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, »
More testing today.

Any chance you have interference from other transmitters like wifi. Try a different universe and see what you find.

RJ

Do you mean change the TX & RX to channel 2 or 3?

The TX is 6 feet off the ground and the RX's are only 50-75 feet away 2 feet off the ground, they are in direct line of site with the TX.

Offline rm357

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, »
My megatree went up today (yea) and I ran into some similar problems. I put a receiver in the DMX SSR4 that I used in the top of the tree for the star/strobes and it had all kinds of issues. I pulled out the RX unit and ran a wire from the express below and it seems to have solved the issues. I'm wondering if the version 2 receiver draws too much power to be used with the DMX SSR4...  ???

Issues:
 - Lower channel flashing (like the DMX transmission lost the first byte of the DMX packet)
 - All Channels blinking off for a bit then coming back on
 - After a while, the DMX SSR4 would just quit responding at all

Right now everything seems to be fine running with the DMX RX in the express.

RM

Also - all my TX and RX are V2.
RM
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, »
I had the same basic problem but got it fixed.

I have 1 Tx and 2 Rx all v2. One Rx was having major issues with Random Hiccups (flashes, freezing, jumping display). I was also on uni3. The computer was in the back of the house and the Rx were 30' and 60' away with the further one having 90% of the issues. I moved the computer to the front of the house and it seemed to help. I then moved the Tx to a window and that seemed to also help. A little while later the Tx fell to the floor without my knowledge and I again had problems. Fustrated I went and changed to Uni1 and switched the Rx furthest way and the Tx (now I found it on the floor). The Tx was now hung up over a Surround speaker so I would see it if something happened to it!!! My problem was now solved and I have sat thru an hour or so watching it and did not see any problems. One other issue here is both my wife and I do use AT&T cell phones which can do interfer with electronics and 2 laptops and a router running wifi
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, by Made2Rock »
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, »
Been out of town and just go back this afternoon.

Disappointed in the replies about mine and others problem with the shift of the DMX occasionally get.

I really did not see a resolution worth trying.

So with that, the wireless will be pulled from the system.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, »
Been out of town and just go back this afternoon.

Disappointed in the replies about mine and others problem with the shift of the DMX occasionally get.

I really did not see a resolution worth trying.

So with that, the wireless will be pulled from the system.

Sorry you are unhappy.

I am unable to look at it at this time. I have units that did not show this issue and I have checked with a number of users to see if this is a global issue. The users I checked with have them running and are not having this. so I have users with issue and users without.

Wireless can have Enviromental issues effect them so it might be impossible for me to duplicate your problem.

This is why I recommended you try the other channels (Universes) to see if you are delaing with local interference from a RF source.

I might have missed it but I did not catch you saying you had tried this. I did miss the question you posted if that is what I meant.

Yes I meant for you to try uni2 and uni3 to see if the problem goes away.

RJ

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, »
I have had my hands full with other issues but I think three things are important with this.

1).  The transmitter works best when it's mounted up high and away from other objects of interference.

2).  The receiver works best when mounted up high.

3). Keep everything in line of sight of transmitter and receiver.

Number one is easy to fix.  Number two just isn't that easy to correct because you want them to be out of site.