Author Topic: DMX Status Panel  (Read 23892 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: DMX Status Panel
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2012, »
Thanks for pointing that out. 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2012, »
Still... :)  I think that a software implementation (simulation) of a dongle, and a simulator/visualizer for DMX and the lights would be a very handy thing.  If it allowed packet capture/viewing at each layer to aid in troubleshooting -- that much better.

The visualizer in LSP is so rough due to size limitations that it has very limited value in visualizing.  I can understand the reason for the limitation -- you don't want your computer to get bogged down visualizing a show when its resources need to be prioritized at getting packets out to the dongles.

But even a visualizer that requires editing and placement can be overkill... having a single indicator to show that a channel has been turned on would help address a number of problems to avoid problem solving in the field.

imho
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline FireMedic4Christ

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2012, »
Still... :)   . . . The visualizer in LSP is so rough due to size limitations that it has very limited value in visualizing.  I can understand the reason for the limitation -- you don't want your computer to get bogged down visualizing a show when its resources need to be prioritized at getting packets out to the dongles. . .

I feel the same way about the LOR2 visualizer. I got to where I did not even bother drawing things out as it was too time consuming and a hassle at best. I upgraded to LOR3 late in the season and did not try the new vizualizer.  I will start looking at it soon as I am hopefully expanding to whole cul-de-sac next year. I would see value in a software version and / or a hardware version.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2012, »
Trying not to get off topic most professional lighting consoles like the HOG3 and several others don't have built in visualizers they have you use 3rd party visualizer to see what your lighting layout will look like.  So making a stand alone visualizer that could read in XML files and display the results according to your "light plan" is something that could be done, of course not being a programmer I have not idea the complexities of creating such a program.  I am beginning to think the future of "Christmas" light shows will be using SMPTE time code versus the current grid/time time we are using today. That way syncing up sound, video and lights will be much easier.
Jeff Squires

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2012, »
And for me, a 512 channel visualizer doesn't help much in world with 4096 - 16k channels may be become fairly common.

To me, I'm planning on bringing in my star toppers (into my office) to view, because this year I discovered that the RGB SS items
really fade a lot different than incand. lights ... and some of the fades I've used previously are ineffective ... and you really have to see how they look to grasp the non-linear fading characteristics properly.  In fact, I copied from sequencing from my traditional Holdman star into my RGB SS Node star and a of the sequencing disappeared, because they were basically "off" at some of the lower fade intensities ... and looked different at the others.

So to me, I agree that a lot of visualizers are just not worth the time anymore and there nothing like seeing something perform in person to know how it will look.  I think for me, bringing in a star topper into my office will the best visualizer I can use.  Perhaps I could also bring in a SS Flex string arch to visualize how the arch looks and behaves. 

Yes, this is a bit of a pain, but I don't think any software or device is going to show how these items will truly look or behave.

I understand from the testing / diagnostic perspective they would still be nice ... but I test the entire show several times each year when I hook it up, so thats worked for me ... so I"m more interesting in know what looks good and what doesn't.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, »
While I like the idea of software to display what is going on, and I understand the limitations of the visualizers.  I see this hardware unit as a sanity/help tool.

When building dongle's etc. a display like this would be a great first check to make sure everything is working.
I also like who R.J. puts certain sequences on it to see how it is working.

Yes for multi-thousand channel systems it would have limited use, but there are many that are not quite there yet.

just my .02

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, »
admit it, some of you want it, b/c it's a gadget that blinks and flashes   >:D
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2012, »
admit it, some of you want it, b/c it's a gadget that blinks and flashes

of course !!!

Offline FireMedic4Christ

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2012, »
Why else would I want one? It goes blinky and flashes, I don't need a practical use for it do I!

admit it, some of you want it, b/c it's a gadget that blinks and flashes   >:D

Offline tng5737

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2012, »
I'd buy such a device - esp. if you could switch select the universe and they plugged together like building blocks.  If the the uni addr didn't match it would simply send the sig to the next block of 512. 

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2012, »
dmx and pixelnet legos

Offline caretaker

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2012, »
Just a note: Professional visualizers take into account every fixture and light type including fades and hot spots. Although I don't think as hobbyists were going to spend $500 to $1000 on visualizer software the pro stuff does take light type into account.

Yep in my earlier post I also wished for a Pixelnet versions that could show RGB on 4096 channels like the DMX version.

And of course who wouldn't want a blinky flashy toy!   >.d9
Jeff Squires

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2012, »
Of course the reason I want this is it is blinky flashy!  Do we really need another reason:)

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2012, »
Of course the reason I want this is it is blinky flashy!  Do we really need another reason:)

Mike.

No Mike that is reason enough, everyone including me likes "blinky flashy"!!!!!   >.d9

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2012, »
well, if you love blinky flashy, then stay tuned!