Author Topic: Aether Fading issues  (Read 4560 times)

Offline egenoup

Aether Fading issues
« on: November 23, 2010, »
I am seeing the following oddities with the Aether.  I have three (loaded with the 11-17-10 firmware) and they are all behaving in the same manner.  They are hardwired to the dongle.  I even downloaded the 11-22-10 firmware and loaded it, but I still see the same issues.  I am using a version 1 dongle with the newest firmware/drivers and the lynx deck to control.  All aethers are at their default start channel of 1.  The issues are the following:

Both the red and blue LEDs will flicker if you set the level in between 136 and 162.  The flicker is most noticeable at 158.  You must leave it at that setting for about 30 seconds.  After it starts to flicker, it will alway flicker in that range.

The blue LEDs will "pop" to full when going from 246 to 247.  When you fade down, it will remain at the full on brightness until it reaches 132, where it will "pop" down a noticeable level.

The white channel need some curves for either the blue and red or the green LED.  The green seems to come on and get brighter before the red and blue.  The RB will catch up at about level 90 and then it is a smooth fade up to 255.... Boy are they bright (even with sunglasses on).

Has anyone seen these issues or can anyone confirm what I am seeing.  These are by no means show stoppers, but I thought I should throw them out there for future fixing...

Thanks,

Egenoup      <pop..

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
Re: Aether Fading issues
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, »
Sounds like a long term need for Light Normalization Curve application.     A bit more complicated than a single color string of lights.   

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, »
Did you apply the aether curves to the light when you set the start channel or something else?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, »
this will be my issue I have document to write when I get caught up :

Update you light list in the Express utility.

Then program your start channel and use curve Aether1, Aether2, Aether3, Aether4 as your curves.
Then set the channels like this

1  =  use 1
2 =  use 2
3 = use 3
4 = use 4

you may need to scroll up on the list to find them.

see the picture

RJ

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, »
RJ,
We have no plans for you to ever get caught up. I want new toys and I want them now.  >.d9

You can start on the documentation right after the SS are completed, tested, COOPed, and shipped.
Well I guess you have to complete the other SS toys you been hinting about too.

Then you can start on writing documents, unless it interferes with any other ideas that you have for new toys for us.

Offline egenoup

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, »
Where is the version of the LE configuration utility with the aether curves?

Offline basis21b

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, »
If you have the Lynx Express Configuration Utility, you can use it to download the new curves.  Bring up the utility and click on Settings --> Update Light List

One quirk on the utility is DEFAULT is the default curve  (Ok, so it wasn't obvious to ME).  You need to scroll up/back to see the Aether curves.
Tom B

Offline egenoup

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, »
Thanks I have now updated the LE util and will try it later...

Offline batdive

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One quirk on the utility is DEFAULT is the default curve  (Ok, so it wasn't obvious to ME).  You need to scroll up/back to see the Aether curves.

Is it the default "curve" or it leaves the curve on the unit in place?  I did Default on my Aethers just figuring that meant leave it as what it has instead of writing a curve.

If not guess I'll have to reprogram them =)

-JS

Offline basis21b

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, »

Is it the default "curve" or it leaves the curve on the unit in place?  I did Default on my Aethers just figuring that meant leave it as what it has instead of writing a curve.

If not guess I'll have to reprogram them =)

-JS

I honestly don't know what DEFAULT does.  What I do know is I scrolled through the entire list looking for Aether1, Aether2, Aether3 and Aether4 only to discover the list is in alphabetical order and they were above DEFAULT rather than below it.  (Sometimes I amaze myself with my ability to overlook the obvious).
Tom B

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, »
you don't want DEFAULT curve for the Aether

Default will make the light curve work like any regular AC  controller (Freestyle, SSR4-DMX, other light controllers without LNT)

I would guess on a Aether it wouldn't look good

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, »
Rick you are correct.

Default means there is no curve to it. It just ramps 255 steps stright.

RJ

Offline egenoup

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, »
Ok got curves loaded and they fixed the white ramp ups, but the flickers on red and blue at 150s is still there...   Again, not a real show stopper, but when you have some time, please verify.

Thanks,

Egenoup

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, »
Can someone else check this for me. I am not able to do it in my current setup and I have used the Aether a good bit as well as demoed them some for people and I just don't remember mine doing this. Maybe I just missed it.

RJ

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, »
I couldn't get mine to do that with or without the Aether curve except at the extreme low end of the scale (which I expected), but I did go back to the default curve. Using the Aether curve, my blue LED didn't come on until step 34, the green and red at step 9, and when going all white, it had a green tint for most of the scale. When I went back to the default curve, it scaled up white real nice, and the blue LED came on at step 9, the red and green at step 5. That was for the first Aether, didn't try the second yet.