Author Topic: Weatherproofing Lynx Express  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Christmasaddict

Weatherproofing Lynx Express
« on: November 23, 2010, »
I have searched the board and have not found anything on this topic.  How weathertight are these cases?  Do I need to do something to make them  more watertight?  I have built stands to hold the LE's vertically with the wires coming out the bottom so I am not concerned about water coming in around the wires.  Just not too sure about the seal around the lid.  I thought about putting a 5 gallon bucket on them upside down but the LE is just a little too large for the bucket to fit over it.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Re: Weatherproofing Lynx Express
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, »
This is my first year doing this. I have had 4 LEs in my yard for 2 weeks of steady rain and no water has gotten in the enclosures. I was thinking about putting a trash bag over the top.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline wirekat

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Kent
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, »
I don't know if I'd worry about keeping it out so much as not keeping it in.
Make sure any moisure can get out is my motto now. Seattle area gives us
plenty of moisure and I can't keep it all out but if it gets in I let it drain out
the bottom. The Lynx enclosure will work just fine.
My buddy up north covers all his enclosures with black garbage bags just to
be sure. I'll probably do that too this year.

Good Luck!
Kevin Thomas

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, »
I would suggest NOT putting trash bags over the enclosures.  They can trap moisture in the enclosure and help cause the corrosion we are trying to avoid.  These enclosures are designed for outdoor use and if the enclosure is mounted properly they will keep water off of the board. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, »
We get some heavy winter winds usually with rain here so what I did for my free-standing controllers in the middle of the yard was to put a 2-gallon zip-loc bag (these can be harder to find than the regular 1-gallon versions) over them and partially zipped it up. This prevents a big gust from possibly opening the door up and keeps any water out. The opening of the bag which is pointing down to the ground, is still open enough for everything to breath. I usually pull out one block of foam from the CG enclosures to ensure it breaths as well. For anything mounted to a wall or tree, I don't bother with any bagging and just zip-tie the enclosure lock to keep out inquisitive hands...

Offline freak_brain

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, »
What about putting some of that "stuff", they ship with electronics, in the enclosure. The little bags of "stuff". I cant remember what its called
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, by freak_brain »

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, »
The bags of "Do Not Eat"?

Actually, they are desiccant packages.
/mike

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, »
I cover my enclosure with plastic drop clothes.....BUT like said, do not make it air tight. You want the boxes to breathe so any moisture that you get from condensation will evaporate. I just use the plastic to keep the rain/snow, sleet, ice, we get off.
Chris

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, »
This is the first year I have a unit in the yard.  I followed someone's example here on the board and vertically attached a 3/4" PVC pipe to the back of the case.  I pounded a 1/2" rebar into the ground and slid the pipe over that.  The pipe is long enough so the plugs on the bottom clear the ground.  I have a black storage tub I got from Walmart, flipped it over so it covers the unit and by a fortunate set of coincidences, the edge of the tub is about 4"-6" above the ground.  Earlier I was considering making a frame out of PVC and building a small roof on that.  But this seems to work ok so far.

I also sprayed the front and back of the circuitboard with Corrosion X before mounting it in the case.  If you cannot find it in your area, try gun stores and fishing stores.  Use the red can, not the blue "HD" Heavy Duty stuff. 

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The bags of "Do Not Eat"?

Actually, they are desiccant packages.
/mike

I thought those were Chiclets