Author Topic: Aether troubles  (Read 8337 times)

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Aether troubles
« on: November 24, 2010, »
I built 4 aethers and am having issues with 3 of them.  :(

1.  Works perfectly.  Flashed.  Channel set, tested with LSP using programmed channel.
2.  Powers up, flashed, but cannot set channel using utility.  I am using microchips softward and the fireware dated 11/22.  Moving the prog/oper jumper does nothing.  On the first Aether, the LEDS flashed.
3.  No power.  I have checked, double checked everything.  Checked fuse, checked board is getting power. 
4.  Powers on, LEDs flash (blue/red), then RED stays on, then smoke near the contant power cirucit

Its been a long, long day trouble shooting.  Any suggestions?  Thanks guys. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Aether troubles
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I built 4 aethers and am having issues with 3 of them.  :(

1.  Works perfectly.  Flashed.  Channel set, tested with LSP using programmed channel.
2.  Powers up, flashed, but cannot set channel using utility.  I am using microchips softward and the fireware dated 11/22.  Moving the prog/oper jumper does nothing.  On the first Aether, the LEDS flashed.
3.  No power.  I have checked, double checked everything.  Checked fuse, checked board is getting power. 
4.  Powers on, LEDs flash (blue/red), then RED stays on, then smoke near the contant power cirucit

Its been a long, long day trouble shooting.  Any suggestions?  Thanks guys. 

We will not be able to work on four at one time.

First thing to think about is this. What is different about these then the first?

I would plug the pickit into the 1st one that is working and read the pic. Then export it and upload it into the others to rule out firmware not issue. It's simple takes no time and rules out one issue.

#2 sounds like it is not getting DMX is the data light blinking with it plugged into the dongle and data being sent to it?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, »
Thanks RJ.  I am going to try and focus on #2 first since it appears to be mostly working.

Yes, the data light is on and pulsing when I send data from the utility.  I will try and read from the first and then write to the second. 

On the first, when using the utility to set the channel, when I start, the LEDs turns on, then flash when I move from oper to program.  On board #2, nothing happens when I start to program. I am just trying to understand what the expected behavior is.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, »
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

I reflashed the #2 Aether with the program from the working #1.  I also swapped to use the second DMX connector. I have touched up all of the connection points on the RJ45 sockets.   Same issue.  Both the red and green LEDs are on when the dongle is connected. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, »
Ok lets get some time scheduled to troubleshoot in Temspeak.

If you do not have it setup go ahead check out the how to in the Wiki on Teamspeak and get it setup.

I am kinda busy at the moment but get ready and let me know I will make some time avaliable to work with you on it.

RJ

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, »
I took yesterday off and today spent some more time looking at the boards.  I made some progress.

#1 - works  ;D
#2 - unable to set channel or control using DMX.  Green data light does flicker when using Express utility. 
#3 - had a power issue, fixed it.  Now it has the exact same issue as #2.

#4 - tested again.  After the unit powers up, the RED LEDs stay on and the center constant power chip begins to smoke.   I quickly removed power.  Using an ohm meter, there is a reading between pin 1 and pin 2.  On the two other identical chips left/right, it shows no connection.  So, maybe there is a bridge, bad chip or I somehow damaged the chip.   

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, »
I took yesterday off and today spent some more time looking at the boards.  I made some progress.

#1 - works  ;D
#2 - unable to set channel or control using DMX.  Green data light does flicker when using Express utility. 
#3 - had a power issue, fixed it.  Now it has the exact same issue as #2.

#4 - tested again.  After the unit powers up, the RED LEDs stay on and the center constant power chip begins to smoke.   I quickly removed power.  Using an ohm meter, there is a reading between pin 1 and pin 2.  On the two other identical chips left/right, it shows no connection.  So, maybe there is a bridge, bad chip or I somehow damaged the chip.   

#4 sounds like there is solder bridge under the chip.

#2 can you check the Cable / RX jumper is on the Cable side and it is solder well.

Then check that the middle pin of the Cable/ Rx jumper pins connect to the pin #17 of the pic chip

Then check that pin 15 of the pic is connected to pins 2 & 3 of the RS 485 chip.

RJ

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, »
I checked the pinouts mentioned below and both boards check out okay. Is it possible I am flashing the PIC wrong?  Are thier directions somewhere posted?  I looked through the Express programming steps and those are the steps I am using.  My one thought is this is related to the programmer vs. the board. 

I haven't tested manual operation.  I still need to connect a switch.  Would that help tell me the PIC is programmed correctly? 

On unit #4 I am still searching for the bridge.  I know the red LED pin is grounded (Lower, right LED, R- on screened on the board.  The other 5 LED don't show a ground connection.  What is the best way to remove the chips?  I was thinking of using a heat gun to remove the one chip but not sure how to replace the chip. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, »
If you programmed the first one successfully then sounds like you know how to program them.

Between everything else I am creating a diaognostic firmware to help. I believe some of the people with the issues have probems with the Temp sensor so this is one of the things it will check for us.

If the unit does not sense the temp sensor it will not function.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, »
I do not have any way to test this so I am working in the blind.

Can someone with a working Aether please load this firmware and tell me if it cycles through the three colors over and over.

If so then the ones with problems should try it and if it does this the leds and pic are working. If it turns RED on constant then the temp sensor is no working and this is your problem.

But we need it tested on a working Aether first.

RJ

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, »
I tried it RJ, and I wouldn't do anything, won't program, the LED's don't light up in the program mode, only thing I get is the red power and green data LED's, and the initial white flash in both the programming and operation mode. Going to try reflashing the pic and see if it works again,

Bill

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, »
I tried it too with the same results as Billy Bisquit.

Kyle
Excess is Success

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, »
Put everything back to normal, Aether works as advertised, tried the diagnostic hex file again and get the white flash on startup as well as the red power and green data LED's, but that's it, checksum was 7760, not sure if that's right, but got it both times I flashed the PIC.

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, »
I just tried and get no activity from any of the LED's.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, »
How about this one guys?

RJ