Author Topic: Aether troubles  (Read 8332 times)

Offline egenoup

Re: Aether troubles
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, »
No can doey.... I get a white flash when I plug it the aether in with the last diag hex file, but no LEDs flashing

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, »
Ok I will dig my Aether out and work on it tommorrow night.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, »
Same here, just the normal flash on power up but nothing else.

Bill

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, »
Ok this will work.  Load this firmware if you are having issues and it will cycle Red, Green, Blue to test the Pic , Leds, power and Drivers.

If it senses a Temp sensor showing out of range it will flash Red only quickly.

Let me know what you find.

RJ
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, by RJ »

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, »
Works, just fine

Colors Cycle RED, GREEN, BLUE
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, by wbuehler »

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, »
Looks good!
Excess is Success
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, »
I was able to test this on one of my Aethers where I cannot set the channel.  The diag firmware works perfectly. 

I then flashed it back to the original firmware.  When I move the oper/prg jumper, the LED lights do not turn blue like the first one I built.  Where does the middle pin of the oper/prg go?  Maybe its an issue with these solder points? 

Thanks RJ!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was able to test this on one of my Aethers where I cannot set the channel.  The diag firmware works perfectly. 

I then flashed it back to the original firmware.  When I move the oper/prg jumper, the LED lights do not turn blue like the first one I built.  Where does the middle pin of the oper/prg go?  Maybe its an issue with these solder points? 

Thanks RJ!

Ok so we know the pic, Leds, drivers and power is working now. We also ruled out the temp sensor so this diag software has been helpful.

The left pin should have 3.3 Volts on it. The right pin should be hooked to ground, and the middle connects to the pics pin # 14 which is the bottom, all the way to the right.

If yuo flash from the working one you remove this as you have it set as the same start address and same curves.

RJ

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, »
Okay, I will try flashing from the first one again and see if it responds.  I will also verify the pins.  Thanks.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, »
I have had a little more time to examine the board.  On the oper pins, left has 3.3 v, center goes to pin 14 and right is ground.  I have retouched all of the solder points. I examined the working board with this one and all parts look right.   Diag hex works fine.  When I power the unit, LEDs flash, but nothing happens when I change the jumper from oper to prog.  Odd.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, »
Swap your st485 chip from a good board.  Check solder joints on the Rj45 jacks and st485 chip. You are running wired correct. Make sure you are jumpered to cable. makes sure the connections are good on that jumper.

RJ

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, »
Cable jumper, check.  Connector, check.  Swapped chips, check.  No joy.  :(

On the working one, if I power the unit up with the prog jumper set, the LEDs stay light blue.  I don't get this behavior with this #3 Aether. 

I am thinking one of the pins of the pic isn't making contact, but I tested every pin by touching the top of the pin to copper on the board.  If the pin wasn't soldered correctly, the meter shouldn't read.  I am not sure I put enough paste on the pads before I baked the board.

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, »
The pressure from the meter probe may be enough to temporarily make contact and fool the meter.  If you think that there isn't enough solder, just add a bit more.  The PIC is in a SOIC package; that's easy to hand solder with a fine tip on an iron and some thin solder.
/mike

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, »
I retouched all of the pins on the pic and I believe it is working.  :)  I was able to set the channel using the utility and the LEDs flash like the first one does.  I havent had a chance to test it with LSP yet, but looks promising. 

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, »
I was able to verify #2 is now working!  Yea.  Thanks RJ and Mike for your help.  Now on to #3 which I believe has the same issue as #2.