Author Topic: SSR4 Cases  (Read 5018 times)

Offline Jobefx

SSR4 Cases
« on: November 26, 2010, »
I tried to order the suggested case for ssr4s from yourbroadbandstore several weeks ago, I dont have them yet. I thought it was just slow shipping but they never charged my credit card either. I tried to call them with no answer. Now I am in desperate need of cases and I need them quick. Does anybody know where I can get cases quickly? I would be happy with anything that would fit the ssr4 it doesn't have to be the suggested case. I have 8 ssr4s that I cant put in the yard because I cant get cases for them.

Thanks for your help

Offline scharbon

Re: SSR4 Cases
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, »
Go to Bed Bath and Beyond or one of those kitchen stores (or maybe even a dollar store).  Get the plastic food containers with the four locking tabs and the seal ring on the lid.  They are very weather proof.  I know because I have been using them for about 3 years and have had no problems )they are now in service for their fourth year).  They cost anywhere between $1 (at the dollar store) up to about $2.50 each.  You can drill them and file them to get the openings you need.  Not the prettiest things in the world, but they will definitely work.

Steve

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, »
See my long dissertation on SSR4 cases

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

\dmc

Offline castortiu

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, »
How many do you need?

I have 10 extras, where r u located?

Cas.

Offline castortiu

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, »
dmc,

I just saw your link, pretty cool, everything is in the box...

Cas.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, »
I just saw your link, pretty cool, everything is in the box...

Cas:

Yes, as I say on the page, it's a riff on Sean Bowf's idea, posted at ComputerChristmas.com years ago ...

\dmc

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, »
I found a supplier for what looks like a very similar and hopefully compatible enclosure. They will gladly provide small quantities at a price of $3.75/unit. I added 2 of these to my LE case order (see my topic in the LE forum for CG-1500: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ).

Once I get my SSR4 PCBs and the enclosures, I will post back on how well this combo works.

Here is the supplier:

DF Countryman
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (I could find no provisions for ordering on the web site, had to call)
612-724-4400
Sale Manager: Duke McNaughton

Here is the Manufacturer's link for the enclosure: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Cheers,
Dave

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, »
Here is the Manufacturer's link for the enclosure: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Dave:

The Lynx SSR4 board is 2 7/8" x 3 1/8", so it *should* fit inside that enclosure.

The mounting holes are all wrong, though. Your product's copper threaded posts will have to be cut off and insulated (unless you figure out a way to pull them out) and you'll have to add two mounting posts where the SSR4 board has holes.

Not a huge amount of work but it won't be a slide-in replacement. For those who want a demark-style enclosure, it is probably a good substitute.

\dmc

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, »
Thanks.

I knew I'd have to pull the studs. We'll see how easy that is. I'm hopeful they'll screw out. I figured at worst I'd have to fill two bosses with epoxy and redrill for the PCB mount screws.

By the way, DF Countryman can get the TA200s, but the minimum quantity is 45 pieces. Might be good for a coop.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, by dlhoppe »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, »
How did this work out for you?

and what is the model of the enclosures that are supposed to be used?   the link to yourbroadbandstore doesnt seem to work anymore.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, »
Ok,

I finally got around to my SSR4 cases. These are the ones from DF Countryman for $3.75 each. I uploaded a series of  pics to show how I modified them to work. It really only took about 15 minutes for each enclosure. Very easy to do. Here are the steps I took to make them usable:

1. Pull the studs out with vice grips by twisting first them working them out.
2. I took an old 1" wood bit and ground the point off of it.
3. Chucked the wood bit in my drill press and ground the stud mounts down flush with the floor of the enclosure.
4. Laid the SSR4 board in the enclosure and marked the holes.
5. Drilled holes to be tapped for 8-32 screws.
6. Installed the nylon stand-offs.
7. Mounted the SSR4 with 8-32 nylon screws.

By the way, I have a bunch of the nylon stand-offs and screws if anyone would like to try this. I bought 50 of each from Amazon for I think just under $9. That comes out to .09 each.

Cheers,
Dave

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, »
Here's the remaining pics...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline gophergrove

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, »
Thanks for the write-up and pics - it looks good.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, »
By the way, I have a bunch of the nylon stand-offs and screws if anyone would like to try this. I bought 50 of each from Amazon for I think just under $9. That comes out to .09 each.

Dave:

Being arithmetically challenged myself, I can understand how you would think that 50 dimes was something like $9 ... ;-) ...

\dmc

PS: Great job nonetheless. Pictures very good.

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, »
Ha!  Good catch!   :-[