Author Topic: Issue with SSR4 IDing  (Read 4914 times)

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
Issue with SSR4 IDing
« on: November 29, 2010, »
Call it weary at this point, but I have attempted to ID 2 SSR4s and both are not acting like they should. I have attempted to follow the Manual and the post down a ways: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

So here is my set up. SSR4s for DMX. Wanting to set the ID to 301. No jumpers is on "S" or Terminate. Move Jumper to "C".

I know the dongle is active, I have checked a LE with it.

After trying both ways, moving the jumper with power off, or power on, then using the Lynx Deck to check, nothing on Channel 1. I have attempted this on 2 SSR4s at this point. I am wanting to slave these and make them both ID 301.

I am purty dang sure I programmed the PIC back when I assembled the unit this summer, but I will re-flash it tomorrow just in case.

I know something is happening, cause when I have a light string plugged into CH1, when programming, they light. Maybe I am missing something obvious. See anything?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, by zman »
I have the CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do you?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
LOR - Lynx - Sandevice - J1Sys - Madrix - Advatek
~ Christmas is not a time, it's a state of mind ~

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
Re: Issue with SSR4 IDing
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, »
Hey Mark....

This might help  :D

Kyle
Excess is Success

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, »
Hi Mark,

Not sure if it makes a difference but use Lynx Address Utility instead of the DMX deck

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, »
Sorry guys I was exhausted writing this. Long day yesterday.

I did use the Lynx Utility to attempt to assign the ID (I didn't know there is another way), then attempted to check it with the Lynx Deck.

Oh wait, I just see that there are 2 programs. The Lynx Config Utility and the Lynx Addressing Utility. I just attempted to install the Addressing Util and it bombed trying to load it. "An Error occured attempting to load Lynx Addressing Utility" and then it tosses me out of the install. This was on a Win 7 machine. I can try my XP job in the garage.

What is the difference between the 2?

I will be checking the PICs this morning as well.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, »
Sorry guys I was exhausted writing this. Long day yesterday.

I did use the Lynx Utility to attempt to assign the ID (I didn't know there is another way), then attempted to check it with the Lynx Deck.

Oh wait, I just see that there are 2 programs. The Lynx Config Utility and the Lynx Addressing Utility. I just attempted to install the Addressing Util and it bombed trying to load it. "An Error occured attempting to load Lynx Addressing Utility" and then it tosses me out of the install. This was on a Win 7 machine. I can try my XP job in the garage.

What is the difference between the 2?

I will be checking the PICs this morning as well.

The Lynx Address Utility is for programming Non Lynx Expresses - lynx controllers (ie: SSR4-DMX, Freestyle, MR-16)
The Lynx Express Configuration Utility is only for Lynx Express and Aether

Both program should install on Win7, you might have a privilege problem - Try right clicking on the setup and choose run as administrator

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, »
Well, no good news.

I have reflashed 2 PICs, and attempted the same proceedure same results.  I know the PICS are flashed as that ISP20A has the jumpers all set for the PIC18f1220. I know it is not ID dependent, but I tried 1 and 301.

I am getting a lot of Unhandled exception errors it seems when I disconnect power. The error message is this:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click quit, the application will close immediately.

A device attached to the system is not functioning

This seems to scramble the Comport where I have to unplug it, replug it in and re-assign it in both utilities. I am getting the above error at times in both the Program and Deck it seems. I know the dongle is fucntioning, as I can check it on a LE.

I would say I have a bad SSR somehow, but this is happening on 2 of them. I guess I could go grab a third to try.

Oh I tried to install the util on Win 7 with Admin and am still getting it to fail.

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, »
OK, something is not kosher.

On unit 3. I actually got it to program. Instead of mucking with the slider, just did ID 1. It worked. I then attempted to change the ID to 301, and, bang, nothing. I am now getting the unhandled exception error with unit 3 and can not get it assigned to and ID 1 or otherwise.

The unhandled exception seems to start with the removal of power, this time it was after the 2 assignment to ID 301.

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, »
Further update. On unit 4 I went straight to ID 301. Nothing. So I backed up, undid everything (unplugged dongle, Cat5 to SSR4, power, lights, shutdown Utility). Then programmed unit 4 to ID 1. Bang, it worked. So I undid everything, tried to program it to to ID301, nothing. I undid everything to try to go back to ID 1 and now I am getting the unexpected exception error.

Input on this? I am now completely baffled.

I have 8 SSR4s built. I am only needing 2 this year, and they will be slaved if I can ever get them IDd and working with the wireless.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, »
How about try a different address

like 250, to see if there is something up with your firmware

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline rdohanyos

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, »
New here but saw this on another post hopefully this helps:

I have no experience with ssr4s but from that post since your Id is over 255 you need to split it up, I think.

Hope that helps!

Rob

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, »
New here but saw this on another post hopefully this helps:

I have no experience with ssr4s but from that post since your Id is over 255 you need to split it up, I think.

Hope that helps!

Rob

That is correct if you are using Vixen to send the start address. One channel can only go up to 255.
Lynx Address Utility takes care of that for you.

Zman

I would suggest to reflash the pics (get the firmware from the wiki). In the past after so many tries the pic would get corrupted. I reflash it and it worked just fine.

You can't use the Lynx Express Configure Utility on the SSR4-DMX. It sends a different code and won't program it
If you can't get the Lynx Address program to install, Try my StartPattern program in the wiki
Or use Vixen
Create a new sequence
Set Channel one to 255
Set Channel two to 46
Make sure you are in Level mode and not percentage mode

Hope that helps

RIck R.

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, »
Mark,

I had the same thing happen to me last night while attempting to program an SSR4xDMX.  I am using XP though,  What I found out was that if Vixen was up and running that I would have issues every onece in awhile with the programming.  I finally shut vixen off completely, rebooted PC. Unplugged Dongle, plugged dongle back in  and then everything worked okay.  Don't know if this will help but it did for me.  I have 2 spare SS4xDMX if you get in a pinch and need them ASAP.

Freebird
One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, »
In the worst case let me know you can manually set it with a pickit. You read the chip and edit two memory location to store the hex value of the addresses and then write it back out. Does the same thing the address program mode does.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, »
I am outside on other things while Mother Nature is giving me a break in the weather. I HAVE to get my roof buttoned up before a deluge tomorrow.

I will work on this tonight.

I did use the Lynx Address Utility today after I saw that. So all efforts today were with the Address Utility. I also DID re-flash 2 of the PICS, and the problem persisted. I will however try these suggestions. Thanks.

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, »
Hey Mark,

Give me a call when you come inside, I'll be up all night.  I have had addressing issues with a couple SSR4s in the past and might have an idea.

Kyle
Excess is Success