Author Topic: CSF XLights Plan / Ideas / Vision  (Read 1724 times)

Offline csf

CSF XLights Plan / Ideas / Vision
« on: November 29, 2010, »
Currently there are three main components to xlights
  • xlights Menu (common program for all other program in xlights, allows you to configure your networks and  location for file storage) 
  • xlights Tester (gives multiple test for testing you network and hardware)
  • xlights scheduler (sets up you show, a schedule for your show, and runs your show)

Then there is also a common library that sends the outputs the the hardware.

My ideas would add two more main components to xlights

• xlights console (will allow you to create channel groups, effects, and run a live light show)
  • xlights scheduler (will allow you to place groups and effects on a time line to music to create a sequenced show)

My goal to go about this is as follows:

1) update xlights menu  I want to add
  • A button to launch console
  • A short cut section (allows the user to define other programs they want to accesses from the xlights menu, such as LOR, Vixien, Light show pro, Prancer, audacity, ect)

2) Create lights console. (full plan will be coming soon)

3) Createx lights sequencer. (full plan will be coming soon)

Future ideas for xlights (these are not  ideas I have a plan for creating at this time, but are things that I think would be nice to be included in xlights and maybe some one else would like to code and contribute)

• 2D Visualizer (think of the LOR visualizer but with more advanced  drawing options)
  • 3D Visualizer (allow you to create 3d primitives, import 3d models, and map out a lights show in a 3D space. )
  • Music to Lights (real time analyzes of audio waves, creating a show on the fly)
  •   Power Calculator (help you calculate how much power your display will need and how to map out you power needs)
  • Light Inventory (how many lights / controlers do you really have in you display?)
  • Coast calculator (how many channels will you need for your display / new idea for you display, and how much will it coast you to make) 

Fell free to give feed back on the ideas, and to give your own ideas.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: CSF XLights Plan / Ideas / Vision
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, »
Hi Csf,

Menu seems to be fine.

Lighting Test works fine for me.

Scheduler I think needs a few more features:
1 - A select all / deselect all button on the playlist
2 - A restart of the playlist on the toolbar - next to the Stop button?
3 - To be able to select/use  a seq without audio attached
4 - Scheduler should default to opening up in Calendar mode (seems to open in playlist)
5 - Show length of runtime on the selected playlist
6 - Save the size of the window (ie: calendar showing the whole month instead of 3 rows)

Can the Audio and Sequences be in a separate folder - an option for either separate or combined folder?

Thanks for asking

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline csf

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, »
Hey Guys I just want to let you all know that I may not post much about ideas until DEC 26th. Right now between final project, final exams, and my own light show I don't really have any free rime.  But I am really itching to start coding this  ;D

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, »
Hey Guys I just want to let you all know that I may not post much about ideas until DEC 26th. Right now between final project, final exams, and my own light show I don't really have any free rime.  But I am really itching to start coding this  ;D

You know I know this guy, um! lets say I know a "friend" that understands!   ;D

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, »

You know I know this guy, um! lets say I know a "friend" that understands!   ;D

RJ

is that person JJ?????

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required