Author Topic: Max CAT5 length to Tx  (Read 2084 times)

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
Max CAT5 length to Tx
« on: November 30, 2010, »
OK I had a DOH moment just a few minutes ago. Another story for another post. But that did jog my brain for a wireless question.

I am running from a iDMX to Lynx Splitter. One branch is driving my traditional DMX Universe. The other is going out to a standalone V2 Tx unit. Is there a max length of Cat 5 from the spitter to the Tx? I have mine at about 50' right, it is on the upper level of my house with good line of sight to the whole yard.

I did the same with the LOR ELL and realized my Cat5 was only about 50' too long. (that was the DOH!)
I have the CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do you?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
LOR - Lynx - Sandevice - J1Sys - Madrix - Advatek
~ Christmas is not a time, it's a state of mind ~

Offline ponddude

Re: Max CAT5 length to Tx
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, »
Well the issue with the LOR ELL's is the ELLs are powered over the cat-5 cable.  The length needs to be kept under 15ft (I think, its in the manual) to not cause too much voltage drop.

I don't think there is a maximum length for the TX as the only thing transmitted on the cable is the data....but that is a guess.
Greg

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, »
Since the splitter is using RS485 to send data, IIRC the max lenght is around 4000 feet so your 50' lenght will not be any problem.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, »
Ah, I forgot about the splitter boosting the power again. Cool that length is OK

Greg, according to the ELL manual, 25'. I am about to test the new cable length. The old one was about that, but is now out in the yard <;d

Offline ponddude

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, »
Ah, I forgot about the splitter boosting the power again. Cool that length is OK

Greg, according to the ELL manual, 25'. I am about to test the new cable length. The old one was about that, but is now out in the yard <;d

Makes sense.  Like I said, I would of had to check the manual.  Glad somebody wasn't as lazy as me  :P

I use the cables that come with the ELL's to power mine.  I am assuming they are 25ft or less. 
Greg

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, »

Makes sense.  Like I said, I would of had to check the manual.  Glad somebody wasn't as lazy as me  :P

I use the cables that come with the ELL's to power mine.  I am assuming they are 25ft or less. 

Well, um, I did hook i tUP with out consulitng the manual, so I knew I had a problem when the HE did not see ELL