Author Topic: MR-16 and Rainbow Floods  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Randy_A

• Lockport Lights
MR-16 and Rainbow Floods
« on: December 03, 2010, »
Case #1:

How many of the Rainbow floods are you using on the dc board? I can run one flood and as soon as I plug in a second flood, mosfets start the magic smoke!! I don't understand it. Using 12volt PC power supply.

Seems I mis-read the build manual.. <fp. Wired it in reverse order on the controller.... Thank's Greg..

Case #2:
I built the low current model of this board. I am using only 3 rgb 5050 leds per channel, when I plug the channel's in all the lights on all channels come on and cannot be controlled with Vixen. There are no solder bridges, have changed out all the chips.. re flowed all the joints.

I might have another case to figure out, but need to check on this one. (worked for two days and now doesn't).

Notes for all board's Have current firmware, re flowed, checked for bent pins, etc...

Thanks for any hints...

Randy
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, by Randy_A »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: MR-16 and Rainbow Floods
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, »
How many amps does the Rainbow floods pull?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ponddude

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, »
Randy I can step in here.

The Rainbow Floods draw 1.1 amps when they are full white.  Each bank of colors (meaning red by itself, green by itself and blue by itself) draw 360 mA.  This tends to fluctuate as the resistors heat up and as you do things with the lights.  I always tell people to say they are drawing 400mA a color to be on the safe side.

Now, the MR-16 DC controller should have absolutely no problem controlling these.  In fact, when the lights were initially being beta tested they were controlled with the V1 board.  The FETs RJ uses are rated at much higher currents than what the floods are drawing.

Are you sure you have them wired correctly?...meaning negative to negative and positive to positive.  Remember, because these run on DC voltage the lights are designed to be switched on the negative side.  Are you also sure there are no solder bridges on the modular jacks on the floods?

Also, I can look in your account but when did you purchase these?  The initial order, which went out in April-ish, had red LEDs that were manufactured backwards.  You would have received a letter stating to put them in upside down.  Did you get that letter? (All orders after that have all the correct LEDs.)

Greg
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Randy_A

• Lockport Lights
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, »
Greg,

I am almost positive that I have them wired correctly, I was using pictures from the build document.

Please don't get me wrong, I am bummed that they are not working, I would just to like to know why they are not. I have built many other boards, such as the simple i/o, d-light, le..have 6 of those with no problems...

I do not ever remembering the letter about the led's..

Unless I have a bad batch of mosfets... I can only plug one flood in at a time. I did not use the jacks, soldered cat5 cable to them.

If you need any more info please let me know..

Thank's
Randy

Offline ponddude

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, »
Randy,

That may be your issue.  Send me an email at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login with pictures of the how you wired them.  What pins did you put negative too and what pins positive?  Did you, or do you have the ability to do a continuity test with a meter?

Greg
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, »
Greg is correct the MR16 controller should be able to handle them with no problem.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying