Author Topic: How to tell if Dongle installed correctly.  (Read 2451 times)

Offline rogerwh

How to tell if Dongle installed correctly.
« on: December 03, 2010, »
OK, I downloaded and installed the drivers.   When I plug in the dongle it gets recognized and appears to install.  Both red and green LED's are on.  How do I know which Com Port is installed?  Should it have told me?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: How to tell if Dongle installed correctly.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, »
Hi Roger,

Sounds like its working just fine

You need to look at the windows hardware device manager

Which version of windows are you using?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, »
XP.  The red LED is very bright but the green is dimly lit.  Is that normal?

Offline batdive

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
XP.  The red LED is very bright but the green is dimly lit.  Is that normal?

Yes...

Reference your Com Port questions...

Open up Control Panel and click on "System" icon.  Then click on Device manager and scroll down until you see "Port".  Open that section up and you should a Serial Converter and the COM Port will be paranthesis.

Then add the "Entec DMX USB Pro" as a Add in to Vixen to any sequence and set the com port and if all is good you should be up and running.

Hope that helps..

-JS
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, by batdive »

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, »
Ok - I've been posting today in the Trouble shooting thread as I thought I had an Express issue (and still may have), but I'm beginning to think it is the dongle.  To summarize, built 3 expresses and two have given me some problems but one seemed to work properly.  Installed the PIC's in the Express, set the Dongle up and plugged it in, set as Com Port 3.  Connected Dongle to the one Express I felt had no issues via CAT5 and thought everything was a go.  Put the Express in Test mode, ran through all the tests and gave me confirmation via LED 2, 3, and 4.  Thought everything was well and good and I was getting the DMX data.  In normal mode, Express is set to start channel 1.  Downloaded the DMX deck just to play, set comport to Comport 3, but no lights would come on.  The figured I would try the EXpress Configuration Utility.  Selected Comport 3 selected the light curves, said I wanted the start channel to be #1 and hit program.  Nothing happened on the Board.  NO blink, re-boot etc.  Configuration utility just says transmitting start address.

Not sure where to start troubleshooting but I think my dongle is the problem.

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, »
Well. I finally figured out my dongle problem after messing with it most of the day.  I inadvertently installed two RS 485 chips instead of one and the Octocoupler.   <fp.