Author Topic: WIRELESS DMX PROJECT UPDATE  (Read 60427 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: WIRELESS DMX PROJECT UPDATE
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2009, »
Ok, Since I just finished a channel by channel test of the wireless to insure all 512 channels work and it passed that its time to say we have a working solution.

Time for an accountability meeting on where we are compared to the goals set for the wireless. In one of the first post of this thread I outlined my goals so lets review them and compare the outcome :

Goals
Outcome

Single Full DMX Universe over wireless at 50ms.
  Single Full DMX Universe over wireless at 25ms

Cheap enough recievers to afford enough to do away with cat5 in a show
    Receivers for about $20

Transmitter that connects USB and is under $70 to build.  
Hooks to DMX and cost about $50

Range of a least 500 ft to insure it is a usable system in the real world.
At Least this in open line of sight operation

Works with Vixen (Of Course).
Works with any DMX application

Could run the shows we already have with no changes.
Does this

Average DLA user can build with little effort.
Believe we meet this easy

Backwards compatable to be used on current equipment.
     No Problem

Able to be incorporated into a Lynx cheaply.
    Yes

And of course the most important one: "Be Cool enough that everyone wants them!"   
Only you can tell me this but I think it is pretty darn cool!

I think we did well on this one.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline grossg

« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2009, »
It's cool I want one...uh 12...! ;D
"Westward leading, still proceeding
Guide us to thy Perfect Light"

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2009, »
You are amazing RJ
Pretty sure we all agree to the above statement

Brad

2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2009, »
...alright, alright, alright it IS cool!!! Let's go, Let's go.

-Paul

Fantastic RJ!
Leesburg, FL

Offline solidmodeler

« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2009, »
Looks and reads great. So far looks like your are exceeding expectations.

thanks
Michael

Lights, more lights, more controllers, more, more, more

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok, Since I just finished a channel by channel test of the wireless to insure all 512 channels work and it passed that its time to say we have a working solution.

Time for an accountability meeting on where we are compared to the goals set for the wireless. In one of the first post of this thread I outlined my goals so lets review them and compare the outcome :

Goals
Outcome

Single Full DMX Universe over wireless at 50ms.
  Single Full DMX Universe over wireless at 25ms

Cheap enough recievers to afford enough to do away with cat5 in a show
    Receivers for about $20

Transmitter that connects USB and is under $70 to build.  
Hooks to DMX and cost about $50

Range of a least 500 ft to insure it is a usable system in the real world.
At Least this in open line of sight operation

Works with Vixen (Of Course).
Works with any DMX application

Could run the shows we already have with no changes.
Does this

Average DLA user can build with little effort.
Believe we meet this easy

Backwards compatable to be used on current equipment.
     No Problem

Able to be incorporated into a Lynx cheaply.
    Yes

And of course the most important one: "Be Cool enough that everyone wants them!"   
Only you can tell me this but I think it is pretty darn cool!

I think we did well on this one.

RJ

Really GREAT RJ!

Forgive me as I'm positive I've not read this entire thread. In your testing so far,.. any interference between your FM transmitter and your LYNX Wireless DMX Transmitter? I think I already know the answer to this but thought I'd be consistent and ask. My appologies in advance.   :-[

Leon
Leon

Offline scorpia

« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2009, »
I must say im pretty impressed. nice work RJ.

i just hope the RF modules from microchip dont have a stock problem. should be ok but you never know.

have you done any interferance testing with other things? (cordless phones, wireless networks, bluetooth etc etc.)

hopefully the released version of the receiver module ends up being a but smaller. but overall nice job.

Peter

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2009, »
I just reread the entire thread, and didn't see any reference to my question I'm going to ask, but it's early in the morning, so here goes.....

I think this is amazing, so amazing that people who see my display may want to do this also. After all, I started getting hooked on this due to word of eye (can't use word of mouth here because I saw this on the internet, not heard it). If I do well enough, word of mouth is a source of bringing in new users also. Although I live on a fairly large piece of land, I could see the potential problem of conflicts if a nearby neighbor decides to use this system. Each of us could supposedly use a different universe, providing what I think is 3 possible solutions to the conflict with the universe-select jumper. But am I wrong in assuming this is the only solution right now?

With the simplicity of the RJ-developed stuff out there, they could really become the standard for home designed light displays. In a community like mine, I could see many users once they see the results of RJ's magnificent mind. If I were to see a display, I know I would ask how it was done and probably want to use the same equipment.

steve

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2009, »
Hi Peter

Just curious why you think the module should be smaller? The board is designed to fit into the solder pads that is already on the LE pcb.

Thanks

Rick

i just hope the RF modules from microchip dont have a stock problem. should be ok but you never know.

have you done any interferance testing with other things? (cordless phones, wireless networks, bluetooth etc etc.)

hopefully the released version of the receiver module ends up being a but smaller. but overall nice job.

Peter
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline wjgiles50

« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2009, »
All I can say is when does the COOP start?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2009, »

After the beta testers get to test it. Hopefully all goes well and the coops would start right after that.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2009, »
Really GREAT RJ!

Forgive me as I'm positive I've not read this entire thread. In your testing so far,.. any interference between your FM transmitter and your LYNX Wireless DMX Transmitter? I think I already know the answer to this but thought I'd be consistent and ask. My appologies in advance.   :-[
Leon

Since it is on 2.4GHz and the FM is on about 100 Mhz no the two will not be an issue

Peter

They have not had any problems each distributor has been keeping a few hundred in stock and the leads have been much shorter than they say on them. I can also get them from Microchip direct.

The modules will not get smaller as the limit is not just the connectors for the express but the size of the Ground plane needed on the bottom layer of the pcb. Any smaller it would be too small and range will suffer greatly.

I just reread the entire thread, and didn't see any reference to my question I'm going to ask, but it's early in the morning, so here goes.....

I think this is amazing, so amazing that people who see my display may want to do this also. After all, I started getting hooked on this due to word of eye (can't use word of mouth here because I saw this on the internet, not heard it). If I do well enough, word of mouth is a source of bringing in new users also. Although I live on a fairly large piece of land, I could see the potential problem of conflicts if a nearby neighbor decides to use this system. Each of us could supposedly use a different universe, providing what I think is 3 possible solutions to the conflict with the universe-select jumper. But am I wrong in assuming this is the only solution right now?

With the simplicity of the RJ-developed stuff out there, they could really become the standard for home designed light displays. In a community like mine, I could see many users once they see the results of RJ's magnificent mind. If I were to see a display, I know I would ask how it was done and probably want to use the same equipment.

steve

The unit could be designed to handle 26 different channels that do not overlap each other. The issue and the reason for the three is most would overlap 802.11 channels and could be interfered with by wifi. The first two channel uni1 & uni2 is not part of the 802.11 band and uni3 barely at the edge of channel 11 of 802.11. This means the chance of interference from 802.11 is almost non existent on these channels. I am working at the bench with it next to my Wifi client unit and it has not been a problem 1 foot away.

As far as other shows near by, rotate through the three channels and by the forth house you should be out of range of the first so start over at uni1.

It could be an issue but it is something that would be on a case by case issue.  I can always program you pics with a different set of channels if needed but it would need to be a channel  not in use by 802.11 near you.

As said when there has been a successful beta test program run. If it is a failure // never. Not likely but I have to say it as who knows what we find under the microscope. I am upbeat on it at this time.

RJ

Offline scorpia

« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2009, »
Hi Peter

Just curious why you think the module should be smaller? The board is designed to fit into the solder pads that is already on the LE pcb.
Thanks
Rick

Rick,

well even though RJ has allready answered my question and explained that the ground plain basicly requires the board to be the size it is i thought i would explain anyway.

the board as i saw it had/has 1 flaw , that being the fact that it hangs over the top of the expressboard causing the space requried by the board to expanded dramaticly. being as most people will be placing the boards into the enclosure that RJ has recommended i dont see it being a huge problem but it would make a difference to some people. Also the fact that it hangs over the top means its easier to knock etc Now i understand that there are probably design considerations for having the board sit that high above the express but i thought it was worth mentioning.

ALso another thing to consider is that fact that any extra pcb that is not required is money out of our pockets and into the PCB house's pocket. so its generally worth making something smaller if possible.

overall nice design

regards

Peter

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2009, »
The over hang is required. The Ground plane size and over hang requirement is outlined in the microchip data sheet for the RF module if you are curious about it.

Page 8 is what you are looking for.

As far as cases go that is why I posted a couple of warning about useing different cases if they wanted the wireless.

RJ

Offline scorpia

« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2009, »
yep,

thanks for the info RJ, the initial command was only a casual remark so don't take it to seriously . Looking at the pic in the manual you linked my guess is you have exceeded the minimums setout by microchip by quiet a margin, not a bad thing i guess. i guess my only comment would be that it seems that the antenna is the only part that needs to overhand not the entire wireless module.

Also i noticed that it looks like the antenna would have a much more uniform reception and probably better range if mounted vertically. something to keep in mind when doing the final max range tests.

thanks again for the info RJ, allways good.

Peter