Author Topic: WIRELESS DMX PROJECT UPDATE  (Read 60429 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: WIRELESS DMX PROJECT UPDATE
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
yep,

thanks for the info RJ, the initial command was only a casual remark so don't take it to seriously . Looking at the pic in the manual you linked my guess is you have exceeded the minimums setout by microchip by quiet a margin, not a bad thing i guess. i guess my only comment would be that it seems that the antenna is the only part that needs to overhand not the entire wireless module.

Also i noticed that it looks like the antenna would have a much more uniform reception and probably better range if mounted vertically. something to keep in mind when doing the final max range tests.

thanks again for the info RJ, allways good.

Peter

I guess I am missing something, The antenna is the only thing over hanging the circuit board?

Forget it as you say it does not matter.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2009, »
Peter,

The receiver module is an integrated module, it is the orange portion of the picture RJ provided.  The antenna referred to in the manual that needs to be above the PCB is just the portion of the integrated module that RJ has out above his green PCB.  He doesn't have the entire wireless module overhanging the PCB, just the antenna.  The green PCB is basically a daughter board that can be plugged into the Lynx Express.  It does overhang the top of the LE PCB, but only to get the mounting correct, the needed components on the daughter board and the ground plane configured on the daughter board per Microchips specifications.  I don't see how it could be any smaller.

Also, the way the LEs are mounted in their recommended enclosures the antennas should be vertical.

Hope that helps.

Ron

***woops RJ beat me to it***

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2009, »
If the issue is the cases you used, don't worry we already have a version of the receiver that is extenal in a small dongle sized case that has an RJ45 output to use on the Freestyle, SSR4, MR16, or other DMX device that is designed and the pcb's are being ordered for me to play with. You can use one of them and it is just a little more money as it has a AC adapter like the transmitter so it takes a few extra parts.

RJ

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2009, »
Sweet RJ!  This just keeps getting better.

Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2009, »
Ok I am going to open a coop for the wireless stuff in the next day or so. I am doing this with the understanding that if a problem comes up in the beta testing it may have to be put on hold. The idea is to give people plenty of time to get in and be ready to roll once the beta is done so that we can get it to people the fastest we can. I am going to ask everyone to start with a few of them and try them out for your use. Then I will run a second coop were you can get lots if they work for your show (area, trees, size of yard, Etc.)

I have also decided with the help of a few people beating me up on it, that I will make the wireless avaliable to any DLA member not only Lynx equipment owners.

RJ

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2009, »
Sign me up!  :)

Offline tpctech

« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2009, »
Ok, Since I just finished a channel by channel test of the wireless to insure all 512 channels work and it passed that its time to say we have a working solution.

Time for an accountability meeting on where we are compared to the goals set for the wireless. In one of the first post of this thread I outlined my goals so lets review them and compare the outcome :

Goals
Outcome

Single Full DMX Universe over wireless at 50ms.
  Single Full DMX Universe over wireless at 25ms

Cheap enough recievers to afford enough to do away with cat5 in a show
    Receivers for about $20

Transmitter that connects USB and is under $70 to build.  
Hooks to DMX and cost about $50

Confirming Transmitter is DMX in? 

Range of a least 500 ft to insure it is a usable system in the real world.
At Least this in open line of sight operation

Works with Vixen (Of Course).
Works with any DMX application

color=green]Confirming Transmitter is DMX in?  [/color]

Could run the shows we already have with no changes.
Does this

Average DLA user can build with little effort.
Believe we meet this easy

Backwards compatable to be used on current equipment.
     No Problem

Able to be incorporated into a Lynx cheaply.
    Yes

And of course the most important one: "Be Cool enough that everyone wants them!"   
Only you can tell me this but I think it is pretty darn cool!

I think we did well on this one.

RJ

So I understand this.  DMX in wireless out .....to wireless in DMX out  1 transmitter to multiple recievers.  I am ready to buy! 

Thanks for another great toy!

KEN
tpctech

Offline grossg

« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2009, »
I am going to ask everyone to start with a few of them and try them out for your use.

So...is like 12 a few?  ;D

I have also decided with the help of a few people beating me up on it, that I will make the wireless avaliable to any DLA member not only Lynx equipment owners.

Current DLA membership 04/11/09: 636 total members...

It will be interesting to see if this changes ;) any guesses?

"Westward leading, still proceeding
Guide us to thy Perfect Light"

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2009, »
Do you have one of the external units working?  I don't think I have seen it mentioned until recently.  I'd love to see a picture if you have one.

Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2009, »
I have the proto running but the pcb's are not here yet to mount in the case.

RJ

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2009, »
As I understand it, the transmitter is the dongle from the computer, the receivers go on the express and receive the signal, what is the rx board for? Also, how many express boards can I run off one Transmitter?

Thanks

Brad
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, by Sloanhaus »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2009, »
As I understand it, the transmitter is the dongle from the computer, the receivers go on the express and receive the signal, what is the rx board for? Also, how many express boards can I run off one Transmitter?

Thanks

Brad

See the answer in your other post here :

RJ

Offline abell

« Reply #162 on: April 12, 2009, »
TX - sends it got it.
EX/RX - receives it for expresses got it.
RX - Huh? So if I have a freestyle this recieves a signal to make my freestyle wireless? Or a SSR4 with DMX? Basically plug a little cat5 cable into the RX and I am receiving the DMX signal? Does the SSR have to have DMX? Or can I just use the SSR?

Adam

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: April 12, 2009, »
TX - sends it got it.
EX/RX - receives it for expresses got it.
RX - Huh? So if I have a freestyle this recieves a signal to make my freestyle wireless? Or a SSR4 with DMX? Basically plug a little cat5 cable into the RX and I am receiving the DMX signal? Does the SSR have to have DMX? Or can I just use the SSR?

Adam

Tx - yes
EX/RX - yes
RX - Yes but the SSR has to have DMX.

RJ

Offline deplanche

« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2009, »
I am confused.  I have the DMX dongle, 3 LEs, and 2 MR16 controllers currently.  If I want to go wireless what do I need to get?  And is there a difference if I wanted to daisy-chain them all together or if I wanted to run them all without wires connecting them?

If this is a stupid question, or if there is an obivous answer I am missing, blame it on me eating too much chocolate this Easter! :)