Author Topic: WIRELESS DMX PROJECT UPDATE  (Read 60449 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: WIRELESS DMX PROJECT UPDATE
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2009, »
OK here is a short wireless 101.

The problem is there are millions of combonations possible so I can only do generals.

First the TX,  for each dongle you will be using that you want to send the DMX out of it wirelessly you need a TX. This is because just like a dongle each TX can handle one universe or 512 channels in otherwords. 

1 Universe =   512 channels
One Dongle = One TX
Two Dongle = Two TX

You can have a maximum of 3 TX in your show or 1536 channels. This is because they are setup to been on one of three Freqencies handling a single universe on it. 

Ok now,

For each Express you do not want to run a Cat5 cable to the DMX in on, you need 1 EX/RX. 

EX/RX =  Lynx Wireless Express Module  (Receiver)

This unit is really cheap at about $20 a piece. It's job is to make it cheap to add wireless to every Express unit.

This express can be stand alone with no cat5 hooked to it and work all by itself wirelessly with the module inside providing it the DMX data.

-OR -

It can have no DMX input and if it is a Version 3 unit it can have a cat5 cable coming out of the DMX 2 output to hook to other DMX devices to send them DMX within the same 512 channels it is on.

In other words - One RX can do multiple device if they are cabled to the one with the receiver in a daisy chain.

This leaves just the RX unit :

This is a standalone Receiver that does not need an Express. It is a box like a dongle and has an antenna and a wall wart for power. It has one DMX output on it. Think of it as a remote DMX dongle. it works just like a dongle except it has no USB cable to hook to anything as the usb cable was replaced with an antenna and it has a wal wart for power.

You plug a cat5 cable from it to any DMX device you need to make wireless. and then you can daisy chain from the first device on to others just like a dongle.

This unit cost almost 2 1/2 time the cost of an EX/RX do to the power needs ect. It's job is to work on things not designed to have a RX module in them which currently is everything but the Express.

In the future any new items with the space to host it will have a Wireless slot like the Express for wireless so you can use the cheap module on it.

For example the redesign of the Freestyle to include the Express firmware with LNT will have a slot for it.

I hope this clears it up some for those I have put in a wireless fog.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline abell

« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2009, »
Thank you for the detailed description. Do you have any pictures to accompany it?

Just kidding, great detail I understand now.

Adam

Offline deplanche

« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2009, »
So if one is using the TX with either the EX/RX or the RX, does they need a dongle still?

Offline abell

« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2009, »
Yes, I remember reading in a previous post RJ said he wanted to do that, but beta users said it would lower the signal strength, or that we would have to run a longer USB cable to get the RF signal outside. Something along those lines...

RJ - when you read this, I think we are going to need a picture diagram thingy... I am starting to question my understanding now...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, by abell »

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2009, »
I believe RJ has already answered this in either the beta test thread or the question thread started by Sloanhaus. Sorry,.. I'd look it up / post but I'm currently posting from my phone.
Leon

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2009, »
The short answer is yes, you need the dongle and the transmitter.  RJ discusses this in the following thread:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2009, »
This is correct the Transmitter (TX) does not create DMX. It was going to in the original design but this setup gives us a lot of flexibility to get the TX where we want it to have the best coverage since the dongle is usb and has to stay close to the computer the dmx can be run from it to the TX 1000's of feet to put it where you need it to be.

RJ

Offline scorpia

« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2009, »
RJ / whoever,

first of all this is not about the express receiver. its about the standalone box.

im wondering if we need/want to have 3 different devices, doing a little bit of guessing here but isnt the RX device similar in hardware to the TX device but running different firmware? Is there a reason these couldnt be combinded into 1 device with maybe a firmware change depending on its job in life.

as i said i am guessing a little bit here as i have not seen pics of the RX but im figureing they will have the same basic hardware in them.

anyway im sure you have thought of this and have reasons for different devices .

Peter

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2009, »
RJ / whoever,

first of all this is not about the express receiver. its about the standalone box.

im wondering if we need/want to have 3 different devices, doing a little bit of guessing here but isnt the RX device similar in hardware to the TX device but running different firmware? Is there a reason these couldnt be combinded into 1 device with maybe a firmware change depending on its job in life.

as i said i am guessing a little bit here as i have not seen pics of the RX but im figureing they will have the same basic hardware in them.

anyway im sure you have thought of this and have reasons for different devices .

Peter

No,

The hardware is similar but not the same.

RJ

Offline scorpia

« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2009, »
ok

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2009, »
The new transmitter proto boards came in today. I have assembled one and posted a draft assembly manual for the beta testers. The Beat testers pcb's will go out in the mail tommorrow to them.

Just did not want everyone to think we fell asleep. We do all the beta testing in a seperate area for beta testers. This is to prevent people from jumping the gun and trynig to order parts ect before the beta testing is finished. If changes need to be made I prefer no one but the beta testers and I have spent money on the parts. They sign on for this when the except the job.  LOL

(BTW, We have always had awesome beta testers. These guys will throw away hardware to start over if it means having something better in the end for our users. Check out the Freestyle threads where they did this once.)

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2009, »
The standalone Proto Wireless RX boards came in today. I rushed one together to take with me to the GA mini. Works great! I would post a picture but the batteries are out of the camera charging at the moment for the trip.

Will be leave 6 am in the morning and driving all day to be there.

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2009, »
I thought you were taking your Plane?

Either way have a safe and fun trip

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #178 on: April 23, 2009, »
I thought you were taking your Plane?

Either way have a safe and fun trip

Cheers

Rick R.

Maybe the luckiest guys in Florida thread scared him off that for a while.  :0)
Leon

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: April 23, 2009, »
No I have intended to drive all along. The wife and I are leaveing there and doing a little vacationing.

Sorry to ruin the rumor.

RJ