Author Topic: WIRELESS DMX PROJECT UPDATE  (Read 60430 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: WIRELESS DMX PROJECT UPDATE
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, »
Progress on the Express wireless modules is still progress well. I am a ways away from the biggy which is the range testing. I expect that to be very important to verify the range is within my design specs. I am requiring a minimum of 200 ft line of sight but hoping for more than 300ft.   

These would handle a fairly large yard at that.  The other Long Range Wifi unit will fill in the longer range "down the street" part of the equation.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ElectricCraft1

• Dimming for the first time in '09.
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, »
I am an Adminstrator for the Sheriff's office. I am in charge of number of the Civilian units including I.T.  I started out as a network admin before being promoted a number of times. Work 12 hours most days but normally 4 days a week.  This is my stress relief from my real job.

RJ

Now I understand.  You not only have an extra day, but also the background to help ease the burden.  Thanks for all you do.  Can't wait for wireless!!!! 
Branden

"If you can't go big, why do it?"

Offline Snowmizer

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2009, »

[/quote]

I am an Adminstrator for the Sheriff's office. I am in charge of number of the Civilian units including I.T.  I started out as a network admin before being promoted a number of times. Work 12 hours most days but normally 4 days a week.  This is my stress relief from my real job.

RJ
[/quote]

That's too cool, I am the communications supervisor and general computer guru for the Sheriff's Office here!!! We do have two official IT guys, but I end up doing most of the "basic stuff" so they can tackle the big stuff.

So you have talked about a range for "line of sight".....but what about wall penatration? Having the PC in the garage or the front room without a single wire having to go outside, I would think that is the goal for most of us. Also the other thing that has crossed my mind on this is what kind of protocol are you using, for those of us with wireless networks at home is this going to present a problem??  Heck I can do a search right now on my laptop and see 6 wireless networks from my living room and 3 of those are unencrypted!!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So you have talked about a range for "line of sight".....but what about wall penatration? Having the PC in the garage or the front room without a single wire having to go outside, I would think that is the goal for most of us. Also the other thing that has crossed my mind on this is what kind of protocol are you using, for those of us with wireless networks at home is this going to present a problem??  Heck I can do a search right now on my laptop and see 6 wireless networks from my living room and 3 of those are unencrypted!!!!

No it should not present any issues under normal operation.
RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2009, »
A little video to show some progress on the wireless DMX front. This is a express wired to the protoboard with the receiver on it.  So the DMX is coming from the receiver which is getting the data from the transmitter which is a few inches apart from it. The transmitter is getting DMX from my Lynx dongle and vixen is playing my show from this last year.

In the video I say the range is only a few inches, this means that is the distance it is running not the range it will run. I have to get the receiver made up on a pcb to put in the express so I can begin range testing as soon as the fine tuning is done.

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2009, »
Hi RJ

Looks good

You are making great progress

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2009, »
Awesome! :D
Excess is Success

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2009, »
Sweet!  Thanks for keeping us in the loop on your progress.

Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2009, »
I believe our complete 16 channel, DMX, Internal SSR controller with built in wireless for under $80 is very close indeed.  The module for the express should run about $20 to build so with the normalization and wireless it should be a very capable system for the $$.  Looking forward to almost no cat5 this year!  Setup should be much easier and faster. Plug in the power and plug in the lights.

Now if we can get it to write the seqences for us, we would be set!  ;D

RJ

Offline scharbon

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2009, »

Now if we can get it to write the seqences for us, we would be set!  ;D

RJ

So is that your next project?    ;)

Steve

Offline tpctech

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2009, »
Question:

Great new on the wireless project.  Being you have made the DIY stuff so flexible and multi-purpose (SSR4-dmx).  Is there any thought of having a option of  "DMX in" on the transmitter.  The tranmitter could then be put anywhere on the DMX line and out of the basement!  Then they would have even more range to wirelessly extend to other controllers.  It would basically be a wireless DMX "wire"  What goes in comes out.

Just a thought.

KEN

PS What wireless frequency range and or system is this using 900mhz, 2.400ghz, 5.8ghz, 802.11B, Zigbee, ect  just wondering.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2009, »
Question:

Great new on the wireless project.  Being you have made the DIY stuff so flexible and multi-purpose (SSR4-dmx).  Is there any thought of having a option of  "DMX in" on the transmitter.  The tranmitter could then be put anywhere on the DMX line and out of the basement!  Then they would have even more range to wirelessly extend to other controllers.  It would basically be a wireless DMX "wire"  What goes in comes out.

Just a thought.

KEN

PS What wireless frequency range and or system is this using 900mhz, 2.400ghz, 5.8ghz, 802.11B, Zigbee, ect  just wondering.

Hi Ken

I believe that RJ has already answered these type of questions. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Rick R.

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tpctech

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2009, »
Yep!  I just stumbled on that.  I guess I should read deeper then post :)

Thanks.

KEN

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2009, »
OMG RJ, any chance you will have this ready for the Florida meet... I would love to see it in person...

Brad

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2009, »
We will see.

RJ