Author Topic: WIRELESS DMX PROJECT UPDATE  (Read 60425 times)

Offline claytor1999

• Patron Member
Re: WIRELESS DMX PROJECT UPDATE
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2009, »
I second Greg. Nothing wrong with all of us funding R&D while still staying with the initial intent of the site.

Thanks RJ,
Robb

Offline BryanV

« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2009, »
no doubt about it.  I don't know how RJ finds the time but it's worth getting rewarded for.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2009, »
Well,

It's been a long last few days. But I made an executive decision I hope you all can live with.

I decided that since the wireless was pushing the limits of my limited knowledge of electronics (not being an EE but more a high tech redneck) I decided as they like to say in my neck of the woods:

Go BIG or go HOME!

I have finished the design of the transmitter pcb for the Lynx Wireless DMX. As you know I had intended to come out with two designs. One that was short range and cheap for each controller and one that was more expensive and had long range for doing shows in other yards etc.

Well as I got this project for the cheap short range going well I started on the Transmitter and as you know one of the last big hurdles is the range test and seeing if the range will be long enough.

Well I don't think that will be an issue with the transmitter pcb's I just ordered. They include a power amplifier on board that can provide up to 50MW output if needed. This make the wireless system for the express about as powerful as the normal Wifi wireless access point. But on a small spread frequency like a xbee module. I intend to run it at much lower power so you should get about 1/2 mile line of site range out of them at least and maybe more.  Unlike the xbees ect instead of 250kb rf data rate and 70kb thoughput I have well over 400Kb of thoughtput and a much higher RF data rate. This is why we can handle DMX on it.

I am afraid this means they will be more expensive than the receivers. About $50 total to build including the wall wart to power it, the external antenna, case, etc.

I feel it will be a bargain at this and hope you all agree. They should penetrate better and have range to spare.

It fits into the same case as the DMX dongle. I also made the transmitter accept DMX from the dongle instead of being a computer dongle of it's own. This will allow you to remote it if needed to a convenient place outside on in a window.

Of course this is all in the air for testing. Many issues could come up yet and the firmware is not bug free yet.

This is going to mean if it works out as expected the Long range version of the Wireless may not get done. It would not have any more range than this should and would cost more.

The system has jumpers on it that allow you to run up to 3 universes in the same area. The receivers have the same choice so you set the receiver on the universe it needs to see and you are set. The Default is universe #1 with no jumper installed.

The system is a full speed full channel count DMX universe of 25ms at 512 channels. I am not counting my chickens yet but If I was a betting man, Forget that I just spent about $300 on proto boards! I guess I am a betting man! LOL

Hope I am headed in the right direction.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2009, »
Thats Fantastic news RJ!!!
You're more than heading in the right direction. Thanks for all the hard work and dedication. Congradulations!

I'll never sleep tonight now.    ;D ;D ;D

Leon
Leon

Offline claytor1999

• Patron Member
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2009, »
From the comments on this board I'd say your finished designs have hit home runs. Your decision process so far has made a lot of people happy!

As a wise man once said:
"You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when youre sittin at the work bench
Therell be time enough for countin when the PCBs are done"

Sorry... the morning coffee just kicked in.

Robb

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2009, »
  Certainly sounds like the right direction.  I don't mind paying a little more for the transmitter; I only need one...  I'm curious to see what  band you chose and whose chipset.
/mike

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2009, »
WOW, Fantastic does not describe that accomplishment, but I can’t think of a word that does. That device sounds perfect for my use. Why design two devices when RJ can do it in one. For $50 and I never have to worry about being a little out of range. Robb may have the coffee jitters but I spilled my coffee when I read this and the coffee burned me, so I know I am not dreaming.  I will bet on a RJ design any time. It sounds like I am going to be running Lynx Wireless this year.  I am so happy, I think I will take the wife out to breakfast.

Offline wjt3

« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2009, »
You're definitely moving in the right direction. This is great news. I think the range and price are right on target...Bill

Offline ElectricCraft1

• Dimming for the first time in '09.
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2009, »
The question is not if it will be too expensive; the question should be where else can you buy wireless for that pricing?  I'm very glad to have found this group to associate with.  RJ, you make all of our lives (and time) worth it. 

Wireless transmitter:  $50.
Lynx Express:  $67.
RJ:  Priceless.

Thanks for all your hard work!!!!!!!
Branden

"If you can't go big, why do it?"

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2009, »
I concur that your decisions in the past have been superb and I have no reason to believe this one isn't either.

Besides, one DMX wireless system rather than two means you can work on something else this summer!

\dmc

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2009, »
I am assuming that if the transmitter will accept DMX from the dongle that it could accept DMX from other sources as well. That would be a great feature.

Good Job.

Tom

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2009, »
Nice Work

Bill

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member