Author Topic: Troubleshoot LE v5  (Read 1693 times)

Offline aERonAUtical96

Troubleshoot LE v5
« on: December 05, 2010, »
Hey all... having problems with one LE v5.

I'm getting channel cross talk.  When I turn on channel any channel other than 1, 5, 9 and 13 I'm getting some sort of cross channel chatter (other lights come on for a brief second and then shut off).  It appears to occur between 15-70%.  If I stay outside that range, then no problems.

I'm checked for the obvious... ensure all components are in their proper location, chips inserted proper direction and properly seeded (reseeded some to make sure),  reflashed pic and checked for solder bridges.

When I turned the board over, there was one area that somehow got damaged (scraped).  There are 2 copper traces exposed, but nothing around it that would provide a jump/short.  What can I use to seal/protect those exposures?

I'll try to post pics and the locations of the exposed traces.

thanks

Rob

Offline memphislights

Re: Troubleshoot LE v5
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, »
If these are the V5, then they are pre-snubbered, so led vs incan shouldn't matter.
If you have any pre v5 le's in your setup, any led only channels NEED to be snubbered.

Check to make sure that the terminiation jumpers are correct

Try a different ethernet cable

Try a different circuit to power the le, we got misfires on a v3 le from a v5 le on the same trunk power input

If the temps are cold sub 37f, try adding 2x c7 or c9s to keep the case warm

Try your sequence with only the problem le, and add controllers one at a time until you see a possible cause.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, »
Hi Rob,

Some basic questions
1 - Is this wireless or wired?
2 - Do you have the termination jumper properly set?
3 - Are you using the Lynx Splitter?

btw: Many thanks for your lor to vixen converter program

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, »
This LE isn't even in the show yet.  This is all bench testing.

This is a wired LE.  The only LE currently connected.  Channel 1 address.  Termination is set.  I tested with a different LE v5 and that LE works perfectly on the same lights/load.  no splitter in play.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, »
Did you try swapping a pic from a working LE to this LE?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline memphislights

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, »
don't forget the obvious... cold joints on the triacs...
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, »
No dice on the pic.  Problem persisted.  So it is board related.  I will rehit the triacs.

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, »
So, it appears to be working now.  I only retouched triacs 1-4.  But I also cleaned the board a little also.  So the combination of hitting one of the triacs along w/ cleaning the board and redoing the connections, one of those items looks like it fixed my problem ... or at least it looks like it works on my bench.  I'll throw it into action tomorrow and we'll find out.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I still have a question on the exposed traced.  Tried to take a pic, but no luck on the zoom.  Any suggestions on what to use to seal the exposure if anything?

Offline egenoup

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, »
The exposed trace should not be a problem, but if you really want to seal it up, use some 5 or 10 minute epoxy and cover it lightly.

Charles