Author Topic: Need some advice on a design plain  (Read 4043 times)

Offline scottmc70

• Kell Christmas Lights
Need some advice on a design plain
« on: December 06, 2010, »
Hello all,
I have been cruising the board for a bit trying to learn as much as I can, and come up with what I want to try for 2011. This will be my first display so any advice would be apprecated. I want to use 2 LE that I will get on the next coop and will need the dongle that will give me 32 channels. Now the display I have drawn out is all clear bulbs, a 12 foot mega tree 24 100 light strands on 8 channels, a star on top of the tree on 1 channel, 7 mini trees 1 channel for each, 3 arches 8 channel all 3 will run on the same 8 channels, 4 wreaths on the front windows 1 channel for each, and the front roof line 1 channel for each top bottom left and right. I am not sure a bout the mega tree with using a single color can I get away with just 8 channels and do you see any other flaws or problems with the setup?

Scott
The little lights aren't twinkling Clark
[img width= height= alt=channel count]http://www.planetchristmas.com/signatures/img/vix_48_lightgray_blue.gif[/img]

Offline memphislights

Re: Need some advice on a design plain
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, »
Mega Tree 8
Star 1
Mini Trees 7
Arches 8
Wreath 4
Roof 4
----------

Total 32 channels

Looks like it is completely doable. 

Remember assume about .33A per 100 string incandescent bulbs.  If you are going LED, you can run several more strings per channel.

As always don't forget about the max 4amps per channel limit and the 15 or 20amp input current limit.

RJ's dongle can handle a 512 channel universe.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, »
If you want to spin your mega tree 8 channels work fine, that's what I use.  I had planned to have 16 strands per color, but weight was making my pole bend so I took half of the strings off and am only running 8 strings per color (4 colors) and it looks ok.  My height is about 17 ft.  I guess what I am saying is that 24 strands of one color on a 12 ft tree may not be needed.  Being your first, you might find that you could forego the spinning and put up 3 colors.  Then use color changes / combinations and fades for more variety.  If my mind is working ok this morning using 3 colors with four strings per channel will use less than 1.5 amp per channel and only use 6 channels giving you two more to play with.  So you would have two channels each of red, green, and white.  But that would take away any spin options.  I use more color changes / combinations than spins in my sequences.  Just a thought.

One more thing since this will be your first year.  PUT THE TREE UP IN JULY IN THE BACKYARD.  You will find out a ton of stuff on building, securing, and sequencing it by doing it way ahead of time.  Ask me how I know (I did not do that).
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, »
Hope this helps. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I built this and live in FL. , we have had some rain and winds and no problems so far
Jeff

Offline batdive

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, »
Looks good.. What I tell people is start slow as it can get real expensive really quickly  ;D.

My thoughts would be to take a pic of your house and draw what your thoughts are in the adjustable preview in Vixen and start playing with a song or two that you have in mind (you can also download predone ones to get an idea) and see what your design looks like virtually with what music you have.  You will then find the postives and negatives, if any, of the design and what its short comings are.

Welcome to the addiction   ;D

-JS
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, by batdive »

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, »
Scott,
My advice would be to design a plan and stick to it. Don't be tempted to add features and then have to scramble to get more lights, more controllers and have to redo your sequences.
As a first year newbie, that was the biggest mistake I made. You will have enough work to do. Don't create more work for yourself.  You will be totally surprised at how much time it takes to set up your display for the first time and how much time it takes to sequence your songs.
Have fun and enjoy yourself.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline scottmc70

• Kell Christmas Lights
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, »
Thank you all for the responces.
memphislights that is good to know on the .33amp per 100 lights I was thinking of going incandescent because the led cost is so much more.
jnealand I had not even thought about multi color with just 8 channels but that is a great idea and only 6 channels awesome, but the spin is so cool. lol
lineman that is exactly what I want to do great design thanks for sharing.
batdive I can see how this can get expensive, I have started to play with Vixen just haven't figured it out yet.
Rainlover Oh my the song sequence I think is going to be the biggest job I am not doing good with Vixen LOL

Thanks so much for all the advice and encouragement I need as much as I can get. Everyone has been so nice.
Scott
The little lights aren't twinkling Clark
[img width= height= alt=channel count]http://www.planetchristmas.com/signatures/img/vix_48_lightgray_blue.gif[/img]

Offline batdive

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thank you all for the responces.

batdive I can see how this can get expensive, I have started to play with Vixen just haven't figured it out yet.

Your welcome and have fun.

Here is a place where you can get some predone sequences to help you see how/why people did something to a particular song (you just need to get the MP3 file) and a lot of them can have the previews already done.

If you need help with vixen I would head to the vixen forum under DLA and cruise there and if you dont see what you need help on feel free to ask.

-JS

Edit: 12/13/10.. Hmm forgot the link to getting some predone sequences. Doh...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, by batdive »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, »
Even though LED's are more expensive than incandescents, I would really consider going that way, especially if you are just starting out.  LED's have a very different type of light output when compared to incandescents which can make it more difficult to convert later if you begin to build up a large number incandecent strings.  They also use much less power than incandecent strings which makes them much easier both on the controllers and the electrical system of your house.  My current static display pulls around 100A and it's not massive by any means.  If all the strings were LED the power requirements would be much less (probably around 30A) and much easier to get into the yard. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline warspyder

• My Black Jeep
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, »
LED's maybe expensive to purchase, but you have to consider the power requirement for incandescenct.  I have almost 5000 LED's on one 20amp breaker. My home only has 100 amp service, I would have to upgrade the service and add a sub-panel if I used incandescent lights.
Mark Coulter
Oak Harbor, WA