Author Topic: Lynx Manual  (Read 11660 times)

Offline Admin

Lynx Manual
« on: February 02, 2008, »
If you are not familiar with the Lynx DMX Dimmer the best way to get up to speed it to read the first few pages of the Manual.

Here it is :

Lynx Manual pdf has been removed - Please see the Wiki Equipment page for the manual
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Rick R.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, by rrowan »

Offline jwells

Re: Lynx Manual
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, »
RJ Thanks my 4 Lynx showed up today. I just need a DMX converter now to test with LOL

Thanks

Jim

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, »
Glad they got there.  Do the packing do OK. I will busy this weekend getting the rest sent on their way to there rightful owners. Then my bench will be empty of Lynx Coop parts for the first time in a month and I can get some work done on a Dongle. I hope you enjoy the Lynx as much as I have I have 19 of them at the moment.
RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline sfour

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, »
RJ,

Thanks for the additional parts.  I have finished building all 4 Lynx'i, but can't really test it yet. I am going to wait on your DMX addition.

In the meantime, can you clear a few things up for me.

If I DID NOT seperate the "board" from the "load", I guess the light strings are getting AC 120?

What could I have used in way of low voltage to power the "load", and would this have been any advantage? i.e. Less amps on the fuse box?

I also understand that "each" Lynx has a max amp --( forget what it is now) 16 or 18 max.. My question is, if I have 4 Lynx running, would the combined draw cause my house circuit to trip?
I know nothing about "electrical math" ...

Best way to ask is this...  How many Lynx do YOU plug into 1 15 amp house circuit?
How many Lynx do YOU plug into 1 20 amp house circuit?

Should I buy one nice low voltage transformer to run the lights load?

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who replies to these questions,

Steve

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, »
You add up the amount of total load of lites on each Lynx and then you can tell how many you can put on a circuit. If you put two stings on every channel of one lynx then you would look like this:

100 mini lights are about .33 amps

So 2 strings per channel = .66 amps X 16 channels = 10.56  so if you had two lynx loaded the same you could not get away with one 20 amp circuit. I recommend each lynx be on its on circuit unless you are lightly loadin them. For example my Mega tree had 48 channels (3 lynx) each channel had one string so I ran all three from one 20 amp circuit.

The Load/Board setup is for our friends over seas who cannot run high voltage lights. They have to create 24 volts and use this. so It lets them use Lynxs.

Hope this helps
RJ

Offline scharbon

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, »
sfour,
   Here is where RJ and I see things differently on loading a circuit.  He is using a safe and conservative assumption of all channels on simultaneously.  If that is how you run your lights, then you have no choice but to use the safe method described by RJ.  When it comes to tripping circuits, I am a little more risk seeking.  Not because I am a thrill seeker, but because I only have access to 2 20 AMP circuits for my show.  Using RJs calculations, that means I could only run two Lynx (32 channels for my enitre show).  Instead, I calculate the likely load or the peak load I will pull during my show and allocate my controllers to circuits that way.

The way my show is set up, I will never intentionally run (important to notice the word intentionally) more than 4 Channels at a time on a single Lynx.  In fact on my show I always only have one of 4 channels running (I run RED, GREEN, WHITE, and MULTI lights in my show) so I only have one color at a time on for any given tree or shrub.  I also never pull more than 1 amp per channel so I could conceivably run up to 4 Lynx on a single 20 AMP circuit (4 X 4 = 16 AMPs).  I could sneak a fifth Lynx in there, but conventional wisdom states you would prefer to not pull more than  85% of the load on a circuit for extended periods of time (Some people will argue that point - and in fact over at DIYC, I think it is DynamoBen who has a standing challenge to anyone to find that in writing - so far no one has - but I think it is a good rule anyway).   The way my current show is set up and planned for 2008 and with planned growth for 2009 (yes I know - I am an addict) I can run 160 channels on 2 20 amp circuits (not all channels have 3 strings on them).

RJ's counter to this method is valid.  Vixen (or Windows - not sure which) has a tendency to sometimes send a signal out when no show is running and it turns on lights.  Conceivably, I could pull about 100 AMPs on my 2 circuits.  An obvious tripping situation.  And in fact when I have failed to implement my safeguards - I have woken up in the morning to find 4 channels on when nothing was supposed to be on.  The only way to turn it off was to do it through VIXEN.  So this is a real concern.  What do I do to compensate for this? I have my power cords on timers to turn off after the last show and I disconnect my controller from the computer before I go to bed.  So no power to lights, and no signal to controllers.  No problems, all lights off, no circuits tripped.  Is this a fool proof solution?  Hardly, Vixen (or Windows) could lock up in the middle of the show and may turn on all lights - this has never happened to me but like a said., I am not as risk averse (maybe becasue I do not know better).  I also only run my shows when I am home so I can intervene if something happens.

My way isn't the only way, and may not be the right way for you, but it does work for me.  It is just an option I thought you should be aware of.  Hope this helped a little.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, by scharbon »

Offline sfour

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, »
Thanks for the input.  I think I have a grip on it.

But I didn't get the nickname Macgyver for nothing.

I will use a chewing gum wrapper to bypass the fuse and run everything on 15 amps.
: )

I knew I should have rewired my house when I had all the sheetrock out.

*&@^# <  kicking myself

Offline sfour

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, »
RJ,

Is a computer power cord sufficient for the load connection of the Lynx ?

I'd  hate to cut the end off of my heavy duty extention cords.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, »
It needs to be able to handle what every load you are going to put on the Lynx. The limit is 16 amps so most heavy power cords are 15 amp. This is ok even if you have 16 amps on the Lynx for many reasons.

Just make sure it is at least rated for 15 amps. We are talking power cords not lamp cords here. Teh jacket on the wire should have printing or be etched with the rating on it.

RJ

Offline skygodtj

• A pirate I was meant ta be!
    • My profile at Hauntspace.com.....
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, »
Ok, a question, I hope one the everyone's got.. My first Lynx is finished(yeaaayyy!)  I'm trying to wire my plug for the Pro dongle..  I took a Cat5 cable, plugged on end into the board, cut off the other end to wire into the dongle..  I found pin 2, 3 on the dongle's XLR plug, but which are pins 1, 2 on the Cat5 end?  Is it the first pins on the Ethernet plug, or does Cat start in the center and work out? I cant remember.. I'm stuck at this point..   Does the Cat5 cable go to the DMX IN or DMX OUT?   The Pro manual say the OUT connects to lightin fixtures, dimmmers.. IN connects to a DMX512 Lighting Controller. 

Also.. in drilling the holes for the strain reliefs, the manual say 3/8" and 3/4" holes, but they are 3/4" and 1" holes (ID) for the reliefs to screw into.. just thot i had to mention that.. I couldnt find my 3/4 bit so I had to use a 5/8 and round/file it to 3/4"

teege

Updated 4/23:  Got an answer from jwells(thanks Jim) on the Cat5(RJ45) end.. Pins 1, 2 is the Orange/White-Orange pair..  White-Orange is pin 1, solid Orange is pin 2.  Now I just have to get if it goes to DMX IN or OUT.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, by skygodtj »
====================================================
Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air, as if any other time isn't worth noting....
                  Michael Rarfit

Offline Greg

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, »
Okay, so just to beat this thing a little more, here is a newbie question I haven't seen answered directly:

If most channels are lightly loaded, say one string of mini-lights on 12 channels and the total (all lights on) load for the 16 channel controller is to be 15 amps or less, then what is the maximum permissible ampere load on any one given channel?

Not having physically seen the Lynx, I'm assuming from the component ratings that the prime limiter would be the pcb traces in the above scenario?
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, »
If I'm not mistaken, I believe RJ answered that here. I'm just takin a stab in the dark here but if the max is 16 them there would be no more than 3 per channel or 1 amp.  RJ?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It needs to be able to handle what every load you are going to put on the Lynx. The limit is 16 amps so most heavy power cords are 15 amp. This is ok even if you have 16 amps on the Lynx for many reasons.

Just make sure it is at least rated for 15 amps. We are talking power cords not lamp cords here. Teh jacket on the wire should have printing or be etched with the rating on it.

RJ
Leon

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, »
Lynx Manual page 24 first paragraph :

"Do not load the LYNX with more than 2 amps (six strings of 100 mini lights typical) on any channel and no more than 18 amps total (5400 mini lights). It is fused at 20 amps but we need some headroom and we don’t want any blown fuses at critical parts of shows ruining our good time do we."

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, »
In the Lynx Manual BOM there is a 4.7K resistor listed but the pn is wrong and it is a 4.7 ohm. Do not use a 4.7 ohm use a 4.7K as in 4700 ohm resistor.

RJ