Author Topic: first time for everything  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Jugster

first time for everything
« on: December 11, 2010, »
This weekend I decided to try and solder for the first time. I am creating a Dongle this weekend and see if I can continue with my blinky light ideas.

Well I think I got the idea down. I was just going and everything was fine. I ended up completing the board and all I had to do was pit the chips in and then wait for the last part from Mouser. BTW the WIKI doesn't math the new boards. The parts are not the same and there are more componant locations on the board I have compared to the manual.

Well I started looking at the board and was happy until I looked closed and then read the instructions better. Only then did I notice that I soldered 2 pieces incorrectly.
Two sockets going the wrong way. So now I am $30-40 into my first componant only to find out the board is a distroyed board.

Lessons learned I guess.. now my wife wont be very happy.

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
Re: first time for everything
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, »
The board is not destroyed (yet)..      If you are talking about the sockets for the RS485  and the pic...    just insert the chips correctly...  no harm done.   

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline Jugster

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, »
hmmm.. Looks like I screwed up the sockets listed on teh board as

18F2450 and 6N137

can I put those in correctly and have it still work? That will make my day if so.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, »
Yes the chips do not know which way you put the sockets in. The notch on the socket is to help you remember to put the chips in the correct way. So don't forget to ignore them and put the chips in the right way and there is no harm.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Jugster

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, »
I have had some people who know how to solder and they all said that it looks good however one person did notice that I put the capisitor in wrong.
I will have to remove the piece (if possible) and either buy a new one or try again with the same one. 

Didn't your parents tell you to read the instructions first? Well mine did but I didn't listen to them it seems.

Live and learn :)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, »
We have all done it!!

If you lay your soldering iron across both leads if it is the can capacitor you can heat them both and remove it. then clean the holes out with a solder sucker or solder braid and put it back.

If it is the little one just heat the bottom on one joint at a time and on the top put very little pull on it when it is hot enough it will slide out. Repeat the other side.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying