Author Topic: aether question  (Read 2399 times)

Offline kcmcf

aether question
« on: December 12, 2010, »
are these a stand alone system?  ie that there is music playing through a speaker and it picks it up, or do you have to run it from a pc.

i would like to build a few of these for my sons band, but i am not shure how they work.

any info would be helpful

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
Re: aether question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, »
These operate the same as all of RJ's stuf either Wireless or Cat 5 cable to dongle or daisey chained of another device they are DMX contolled. Hope this helps
Jeff

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, »
The Aether is a DMX device and in this case its a RGB flood light. You have to send it info from a dongle and pc program.

It also not UL rated meaning its only design for personal home use and not in a commercial environment as per the sign up rules.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline kcmcf

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, »
my kids band dosnt get paid for any gigs they just have fun playing, would it be posible to run it from a laptop and have a mic. hooked up to pick up the sound to make them work?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, »
Only if you have a program that takes the input from the mic and convert the information to something the dongle can understand. I really don't know if Vixen or LSP would do that. I know they have "live" input for the wii guitar, etc

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline batdive

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, »
My nieghbor said that LOR has a good software for doing this, but you would also need the iDMX device to convert the LOR commands to DMX.

You can also see this thread where they were able to make music to lights from DMXControl and WinAMP.  If I recall winamp has a way to take a line in, but you will have to figure that aspect out as my knowledge of winamp is just for basic playback and doing some testing after reading the thread below.

Hope that helps... As for stage lighting, I could see the Aether working for that put you would just have to figure out the software aspect of it.

-JS

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, »
If the room or area is small I would be concern about the kids eyes. The aether is BRIGHT so be careful

Rick R.

Offline batdive

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, »
If the room or area is small I would be concern about the kids eyes. The aether is BRIGHT so be careful

Rick R.

LOL I am hoping they would just use it to wall wash behind the band.. But Rick has a very good point they are very bright, even testing I get caught accidentally looking at them and get spots for a minute

-JS

Offline kcmcf

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, »
it would be on the wall, i am just trying to come up with something that noone else is using. i made them light boxes that thay stand on, they have 3 diffrent lights in them and on in the front that is on all the time. i am looking for i guess more of a diy dimmer pack . they have a bilt in mic that turn on light to the beat of what ever is around them.  just thought that this might be able to do the same thing.