Author Topic: Are you using more then 1 Dongle  (Read 2418 times)

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
Are you using more then 1 Dongle
« on: December 12, 2010, »
I am faily new to this binkie blinke thing. I have 1 dongle and want to know if anyone out there is using more then one and how you are using it. Also would I be a goog idea to have a backup one?

Thanks
Scott
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Are you using more then 1 Dongle
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, »
Hi Scott,

So far just one dongle. I keep saying that I am going to build my backup dongle but so far its just talk. To be honest I think a backup unit is a good idea. Here is my reason, While the show is going and you are working on a spare controller there is no way to test it. Now for me I like to write hobby program once in a while where a spare would be very useful. Now next year with the SS I can see for myself a big need for a backup since I won't be able to use the main dongle once it setup for pixelnet (of course I could reprogram the pic but..)

Sorry for going on so long

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, »
I have two dongles and two TX units.  One on the show computer and one set up for use on the bench or with my laptop out in the yard.  I have a battery setup to power the tx.  This also gives me backup since having a single dongle or a single TX would be a single point of failure and kill my show.  When I am out in the yard testing I unpower the TX on the show computer.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, »
I'm running 3 universes with 3 dongles -- over 1000 channels. I find the indicator lights on the v2 dongles really help when something isn't working (thank you RJ for that design innovation). I have one spare dongle (v1). I'm using xLights to run my show.

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline Lucas

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, »
Rick: As I understand it if you are using a SS hub you get a DMX output if you are prepared to lose 512 channels of pixelnet data :)

I am getting my first dongle in the current coop, so I got a spare and will get spare parts to make a backup as well.

Offline rm357

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, »
I have two - about a week into my show this year, the first one quit. I was able to swap it out and had the show running again. A week later I started troubleshooting and found the cold solder joint. They are both working now.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA