Author Topic: COMM PORT [NEED HELP]  (Read 2315 times)

Offline wbbb1

COMM PORT [NEED HELP]
« on: December 14, 2010, »
I have a problem, Houston! I bought a older lap top off E-Bay for $53 that I plan on using for my display. I have two Lynx Dongles that work on my newer lap top, as dongle one uses comm port 3 or 4 and dongle two uses comm port 3 or 5, the problem is the older E-Bay computer only has comm port 1.

Is there a way I can tell the computer that comm port 3 is equal to comm port 1 on the E-Bay laytop?

Thanks, I should have 95% working tonight, better late that never.....

Offline Made2Rock

Re: COMM PORT [NEED HELP]
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, »
I not sure I really understand your problem but I'll take a stab at it.

It looks like you have 2 dongles but my guess us you only use one for your show? Is this correct?

The Lynx Dongle recieves information from your comm port but does not know what port number it is hook up to. If it is vixen you are running then it will be the profile in vixen that will need to have it's port changed. So what I am going to do is give you instructions on how you can change the comm port in vixen.

1) Fire up Vixen and click on Profiles
2) Select Manage from the pulldown
3) Now click on the name of the profile you are using then click on the middle button on the side (looks like =)
4) Click on Output plugins then select "Enttec DMX USB Pro" in the plugins in Use
5) Click on Plugin Setup in the Serial port pulldown select the comm port you want and then select "OK", "Done" and "OK' to save your changes
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline wbbb1

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, »
You were right on, I did not explain myself as well as you did.

IT DID NOT WORK, No lights blinked on the Lynx Express, what now?

Offline wbbb1

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, »
When I clicked on Plugin Setup, Com1, Com2, and Com3 all came up. I tried each of them. Do I need to re-boot any anything else?

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR HELPING.....

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, »
Did you install the FTDI drivers on this other computer?

I wrote a simple little program that looks for the FTDI com port and display which one.

If it doesn't work then I would bet the drivers are not installed.

here is the link for the program

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline wbbb1

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, »
Ricky this opened up a whole new can of worms.....
Ran your program, shows a usb serial converter (I assume this is my mouse) and USB Serial Port (Com4) FTDIBUS\vid (Assume is the dongle ).

Next I go into Vixen, open Profiles, mine, Output Plugs, Exttec DMX USB Pro, and set to com4, ok, done, done..... when I click on button to test lights, says Entec DMX USB Pro (Router - startup_ access to port \com4 is denied.

also if I go into profiles to get to the serial port setup and change to say com3 and then I go into attached plugins to get to the serial port set up, it has not changed from when I just when into the 1st setup..... what's with this?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, »
If you are using a profile you must made the changes to the com port in the profile. Otherwise it won't be saved

Hope that makes sense

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required