Author Topic: LOR/Lynx question...  (Read 6202 times)

Offline ponddude

Re: LOR/Lynx question...
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, »
Mike,

Don't get entirely confused.  If you want to use the "LOR" effects, you will need the iDMX.  The iDMX takes the LOR effects and converts them into something that a DMX controller understands.  There are 128 intelligent channels built into the iDMX which can do those conversions.  So, for example, you could have 128 channels twinkling at the same time.  Now LOR has announced a new DMX dongle, which is going to be less than 50 bucks.  I can pretty much guarantee that it will not be supporting all those intelligent channels, however LOR has not said anything about.

I use a mix of LOR and Lynx equipment (primarily LOR ) in my display, and have done so for the last 2 years.  I use twinkle and shimmer on all my Lynx equipment with no issues.  I will say that it does not match the same effect that the LOR controllers produce, but that is to be expected.  So, you will certainly be able to mix your controllers without changing software, if you wish.

Greg
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, »
Here is an email thread between Dan and I below.  From what Dan said, I take it as the new DMX adapter will support all the features.  Now I understand, "it",  the adapter, will only send what the software tells it.  This will mean that the software will be able to generate this logic, fades, twinkles etc and send it as DMX output.

As far as the iDMX, they will only be truly useful if you have a current DC MP3 player, using older software, or a PC that is under powered.

"Dan,

Will the new DMX adapter support the full features for all 512 channels. i.e fades"

"Hi Jeff,

Yes the new adapter will support effects on all 512 DMX addresses.

Best regards,
Dan
Light O Rama, Inc."

Offline ponddude

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, »
See...I was wrong..haha
Greg

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, »
See...I was wrong..haha

Not yet.  Until we can test it, it's all speculations.  This year is going to be exciting!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, »
And it does appear that in Xlights, you can run to BOTH LOR and a Lynx DMX dongle ... at the same time ... and someone earlier said you could do both, but said DMX only was easier.  I'm thinking that it might be easiest to run LOR and DMX from xlights, then you would not need the LOR to Lynx conversion cable.  Would the LOR unit still do the tinkle,shimmer ...  if its talking via. the LOR RS485 connection from xlights?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, »
Thank you for this thread. I currently have 64 lor channels and have jumped in to the lynx world in the latest coops. With the amount of money I have invested in lor I really dont want to dump it. Thankyou for the mega minds that figure out all the PFM (pure fing magic) stuff so all us low level types can have a blinky christmas too.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, »
.... then you would not need the LOR to Lynx conversion cable.  Would the LOR unit still do the tinkle,shimmer ...  if its talking via. the LOR RS485 connection from xlights?

I sure am confused by what all you folks are talking about.  Vixen does twinkle, shimmer, etc and the Lor to DMX converter cable is trivial.  It looks to me that you are looking for a solution to a problem that does not exist.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline ponddude

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, »
In a DMX universe twinkle, shimmer and fades are not supported.  True DMX only supports on and off.  Anything else that is created is done via another device, such as a fader.  In an LOR environment the iDMX converts those LOR commands to some that a DMX controller can understand.  For instance, with twinkling, the iDMX just turns those channels on and off randomly.  Shimmer turns those channels on and off extremely fast.  Remember what a DMX universe was designed for...the theater industry.  A DMX universe has 256 different intensities.  With a true DMX fader, those intensities are "blended" together within the controller.  Something with a DMX moving light, an intensity of 192 will put the light in one position.  An intensity of 49 will put it in another position.  Same thing with colors and gobos and strobe speed.

I would believe, and do not quote me here, that the DMX plugin for Vixen does this same thing.  However, I have never,  used Vixen so I really can't be sure.
Greg

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, »
ponddude really got to the crux of my concern.  Having worked exclusively in the LOR world for both hardware and software, I wanted to make sure I knew all of the potential issues of converting my LOR hardware over to run in DMX mode. I now understand that non-LOR sequencing software like Vixen (and probably LSP) can support twinkle and shimmer effects by sending appropriate DMX level commands.  Once I get my LE's in and built I'll do some side by side comparisons and see what works best for me.  Of course, incorporating the Smart Strings may affect my decision too.

-Mike