Author Topic: Flickering on old freestyle  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Maniac

Flickering on old freestyle
« on: December 15, 2010, »
Just a quick question to check on my theory / plan.

I'm getting flickering while dimming on strings of LED lights controlled from a freestyle. Only channels that have more than 1 string of LED's exhibit this flickering. Multiple SSR's involved. My freestyle was a v1 with the 27K resistor.

Is this the problem that was corrected with the 15K resistor change? Could it be temperature related (it's been 0 here for a while).

Since I don't want to take the freestyle down now that it's connected, can I parallel a 33K resistor with the existing 27K resistor as a temporary fix? It's been a while since I've done that math, but I think that gets me close to 15K equivalent resistance.

Thanks!
Mike

Offline memphislights

Re: Flickering on old freestyle
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, »
are you using a snubber resistor on every channel that is LED only, regardless of the number of strings?

to test for a temperature issue, when you see misfiring, and it is cold outside, then try heating up components with a heat gun or hair dryer and see if things seem to get better.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline Maniac

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, »
No snubber resistors anywhere.

Same Freestyle as used past years with same LED strings.

Will try the heat gun / hairdryer idea to see if that helps.

Offline memphislights

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, »
Did you add any "new" LED strings to your display?  Some LED strings seem to cause more flickering than others in the display, and can feed back to other channels and to other controllers on the same circuit.  We literally have every LED channel on the V3 and V4s snubbered, and the V5s are pre-snubbered.  We do still get an occasional misfire, but it is more temp related for us, and primarily on the v3 and v4 units.  At least from what we are seeing, the feedback flicker also seems to get worse with temp.
It's not about more, it's about enough.