Author Topic: At first there was only 1 green LED out... After my "fix" there are two out!  (Read 2491 times)

Offline tlh

• Patron Member
Built four Aethers and three are working great!  The fourth Aether had one Green LED (the top left LED under ICSP header) that would not light.  All other colors on all LEDs worked just fine.  Thinking there was an issue with my soldering, I retouched each lead on LED 1 and powered up the unit.  Still no Green LED.  Without thinking  <fp.  (and without powering down the unit), I touched one of the leads on LED 2 (top middle) with the tip of the soldering iron and all LEDs flashed.  Now, all six blue lights work fine.  Only five red lights work (# 1 is out), but start flashing on and off after about 6 seconds of full intensity.  Two greens are out (#1 - top left and #3 - top right), and the other four are barely lit - about the intensity of 30/255.  At this point, I am at a loss how to proceed.  Any and all assistance is appreciated.  Thanks.
Terry

Offline RJ

• Administrator
I am sorry you are having issues.

I have been up all night had to go into work for a network issue. so not a very clear head but I think this was a big oops.

I will have to re read after I sleep and think about the symptoms but I would guess you damaged some leds and at least the Red driver since it is flashing now under load.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline batdive

Let RJ sleep and i would do the following, so when he wakes up he can see a better picture of the situation.

Post pics of the board front and back in hi res and make sure the pics are not fuzzy, so we can see what the board looks like.

Have you loaded the Aether Test firmware to see the situation better, which will help as you touch up some solder and test in between touch ups.

-JS
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, by batdive »

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Touching a soldering iron (hot or cold) to a unit with power is not a good idea. The soldering iron tips are grounded on many irons, the tip will make a ground on your circuit baord that should not be there, that causes failures. 

Yes you probably damaged components on the board, driver IC's and LED's.

I have done that when someone distracts me and forget to remove power first.

In the business of electronics, that is called "The walking wounded" and you never know after fixing a problem what else will go bad in the future.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tlh

• Patron Member
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am sorry you are having issues.

I have been up all night had to go into work for a network issue. so not a very clear head but I think this was a big oops.

No worries, RJ.  I know you have a lot on your plate, and I appreciate all you have done to make our displays a reality. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes you probably damaged components on the board, driver IC's and LED's.

I have done that when someone distracts me and forget to remove power first.

In the business of electronics, that is called "The walking wounded" and you never know after fixing a problem what else will go bad in the future.

Dennis, yes, that's what I was afraid to hear.  My first battle scar in two years after 20+ wireless LEs.  Lesson learned about taking your time and not rushing to get finished.  Will load the Aether Test firmware when I get home this evening.  Hopefully, I'll be able to salvage something.  At the very least, I have blue, slow-flashing red, and a lovely mauve masquerading for white to work with.  Thanks to everyone for a quick response.
tlh

Offline batdive

It might be fixable with some finding of the damaged componets.  The Lynx line from what I have seen and hmm put it through seems pretty durable.

Break out the Ohm meter =) as I am sure their will be some readings in your future.

-JS

Offline tlh

• Patron Member
Got the diagnostic firmware loaded, and the results are much similar too the traditional firmware.   Cycles through all three colors with the following qualifications:

BLUE:    000
All lights work at full intensity.

RED:      X00
All but top left work at full intensity.

GREEN:  ooX
             ooo
Top right LED is out.  Others barely lit, i.e., very dim.

Will try to take and post pics of the board.  
Terry

UPDATE:  Upon closer inspection, I found the original solder bridge on the first green LED and fixed it.  Now it works at the dim intensity of the others.  Bummer in that if I had been more observant last night, I could have avoided the blown LEDs, red driver, and who knows what else. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, by tlh »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Ok,

I thought about it some.

There is a possiblilty that the drive is ok. They have built in overload and temp protection so if the red is flashing it means the driver is having to drop to much voltage. It gets hot and start protecting itself by shutting down until it cools which takes a fraction of a second then it cycles on.

So I would say we have a shorted out red led or two.

Seeing what is going on with the Green I think i would recommend you order two new leds and replace the top right and top left.

This could be the only issue. I cannot promise it but it might be all you need.

RJ

Offline tlh

• Patron Member
Thanks, RJ. I hope a couple LEDs are all that will be required.  Given that I got the original green LED back on line (see edited post above) and they are still barely lit, is there anything I need to check before I place an order for LEDs? 
tlh

Offline RJ

• Administrator
I think we need to schedule some time on Teamspeak to troubleshoot.

RJ