Author Topic: Eprom on the clock  (Read 3566 times)

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Eprom on the clock
« on: December 16, 2010, »
My wife bought the clock for me for Christmas.  I have been very busy with my show but I did follow along somewhat and I thought it looked like all had to re-flash the chip?  Were they all bad or just some?  I do not have a pickit.  When I get the box back at Christmas and I build my clock will I have to get the pic chip reprogrammed in order for it to work?

Thanks

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline batdive

Re: Eprom on the clock
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, »
Yes they were all bad as in they need to be reflashed, but did have a nice oops feature which was basically it lit all the LEDs so you know they all  work before setting the clock.

If you cant find anyone local to you I can PM my address to you and I would be happy to flash the pic for you.

Im in Arizona.

-JS

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, »
I can help flash a pic and send it your way as well, if you need.

Bill

Offline cpnbnanamn

• Patron Member
  • I blame Jack for getting me hooked....
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, »
I need to get two flashed...  I was hoping to find a programmer kit that supports the PIC 24F's. but no joy.... ( I like building kits)..  Thought about getting a pickit 2 or 3.. 
  Bill, can you PM me your email?  It appears that you're very close to me...

-Roger
-Roger

I'm hoping to go NUTS this year!

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, »

Oh well I will own a programmer very soon.  I ordered this today and 3 hours I got a "It Shipped" email.  NOW, I have to figure out how to use it.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline batdive

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, »

Oh well I will own a programmer very soon.  I ordered this today and 3 hours I got a "It Shipped" email.  NOW, I have to figure out how to use it.

Ron

Ron you will like that programmer and the seller.  Exact same set up I use by the same seller.

Use this to program (a lot easier than the MPLAb version)

If you have issues running the program some people had to install the full MPLab to use that version.

With the above program all you do is choose the type of chip then import the hex you want to use, match up the white arrow on the PicKit 3 to the white arrow on the PCB and hit write.

It is pretty easy to use after you do it once or twice.

Hope that helps

-JS

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, by batdive »

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, »
Thank you JS.  So I build the clock and then program the chip while it is on the clock pcb.  Do you have the clock powered on to do this or off?  I assume I will have enough info to choose the type of pic like you say.  Well I have over a week to learn it.  I get the clock on Christmas day to build.  Although I would like to run off to my room and build it, I will have to wait till probably the day after Christmas to build it.

Thanks again for the help!

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline batdive

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, »
Well to be honest with the current flash of the chip the best way is to build the clock then power it up with the power supply.

The current firmware that is on the chip will light all the LEDs at once and easy way to make sure they all work and are in the right direction (since there is a lot of LEDs  ;D).

All checks out then unplug the power supply and do the steps I mentioned above.

The pic is the same as most of RJ's stuff... First top drop down of "Device family" choose Pic 24 or something like that.  Then the device drop down in the middle of the window allows you to pick the actual pic which from memory if I recall it will be a FJ32GA002.

The Pickit 3 will provide the power to program the chip fine.

After it is done, I always as a course of habit hit "verify" (Next button over from write) and after it is done, pull the Pickit 3 and then power up the clock and you should be good to go.

-JS
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, by batdive »

Offline trekster

• My 2010 Videos
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, »
Thank you JS!

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, »
As I haven't built my Aeon yet, can someone post the "bad" hex file. I like the idea of testing all the LED's at one time, and if no other harm is done by using that file, it would sure be a time saver. Thanks,

Bill

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, »
Hey dude watts up
Jeff

Offline batdive

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, »
As I haven't built my Aeon yet, can someone post the "bad" hex file. I like the idea of testing all the LED's at one time, and if no other harm is done by using that file, it would sure be a time saver. Thanks,

Bill

Bill if you have the Aeon from the COOP the chip will have that Hex file on it, it was a "correct hex" but the chips took a bad write causing the issue.

I didnt see any issues, I plugged mine in for a few seconds verified all the LEDs worked, unplugged and then reflashed the pic and works like a champ.

Love my new computer room clock.  Fits in well.

-JS