Author Topic: Dongle Issues  (Read 2219 times)

Offline L8teron

Dongle Issues
« on: December 17, 2010, »
Hi guys,

I just completed building a new V2 dongle and windows has recognized the new hardware and the drivers are installed and seem to be running.  My problem is that I get the green light but no red.  When I plug it into my LE, it does not indicate DMX singnal.  From looking at the other posts on this site, it seems that both LEDs should be on.  My main concern is that I have a non-compatable part that I had subsituted. Mouser was out of the MOSFET and would not get them till March.  So I ordered this part (512-FQPF11P06 60V P-Channel QFET) as a compatable replacement (I hope). 

Any ideas on troubleshooting this?

Thanks,
Robert
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, by L8teron »

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Re: Dongle Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, »
Try using the Channel Testers in the wiki and see if your LE will work.  My first guess is you placed the LED in Backwards.  Just an idea.

Offline L8teron

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, »
I was hoping it was something that simple too.  The test does not show DMX or data link lights on LE. 

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, »
I think RJ said there was not issue with that replacement.

Here is the link and I think this is what you have. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Check your soldering, but before you do that take some HD pics of it in a well lighted area.  These guys on here have eagle eyes for bad solder joints. 

That is all I have for now.

Kevin

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, »
Do you have the jumper on it goes were it says remove for wireless I assumeing you are not wireless ig you are the jumper has to be removed
Jeff

Offline L8teron

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, »
I have gone back through everything and doublecheck (triple checked) the parts and re-touched my solder joints.  I pulled the chips and checked pins and reflashed the PIC.  I also went through with my multimeter and checked continuity, voltage and resistances (that I knew/read about).  I have not been able to find any bad solder joints and everything "seems" to check out but still no green LED.  The red LED does not come on.  So, it seems I have power (computer recognizes the dongle) but no DMX still.  I have tried it with the test jumper on and off.  I thought I read that this does not do anything as yet.  One question, ther is supposed to be a 4.7 ohm resistor in line with the jumper.  that did not come in the kit.  I assumed that this was not needed since it is in line with the jumper and if the jumper is pulled, it wouldnt matter about the resistor.  Is this correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Robert

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, »
Please post some photos so we can help you. I think you mistyped but I want to ask to be sure. You did mean to say the red LED is on correct?

So you have a red led when the dongle is plugged into the usb port and no green.

Do you have vixen or something running to generate any data?

I would always include all parts on a pcb even if you think it is not needed. it is just one more possible problem you can create yourself.

Once we get some pictures we can hopefully help. If that does not work then we will need to meet in Team Speak to troubleshoot with you.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying