Author Topic: Mix LOR and DMX  (Read 4925 times)

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Mix LOR and DMX
« on: December 20, 2010, »
All of my sequences are in LOR SR 2.  I have 5 LOR controllers and 4 DMX which I would like to control using xLights.  How do I map controllers in LOR to xLight?  Currently in LOR the DMX channels are configered as seperate LOR controllers.   

In xLight, I added the two networks, but the only option I see is last channel.  I don't understand for example how to set Controller 8 which is a DMX controller to the DMX network. 

If this works, this will greatly simplify my workflow.  Thank you.

Offline csf

Re: Mix LOR and DMX
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, »
do you have a single LOR network? Or is it a LOR network and a DMX Network?

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, »
Two networks.  Lor on one network and dmx using the lynx dongle on another.

Offline csf

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, »
Okay what you need to do is count how many channels you have in each network.

Lets say you have 100 total channels
64 LOR
36 DMX

Set the LOR network to 64 channels
Set the DMX network to 36 channels

Then xlights will map the first 64 channels of the sequence to the LOR network and the next 36 channels to DMX.

If you have any issues just let us knows and we will help work them out.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, »
Okay, I will try this. 

In your example, the first DMX channel would be #65.  In LOR S2, do I need to worry about setting network type ie, Set DMX controllers to Aux A or is everything done by channel numbers?  How does xLight (or I) know the order of each network?

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Okay, I will try this. 

In your example, the first DMX channel would be #65.  In LOR S2, do I need to worry about setting network type ie, Set DMX controllers to Aux A or is everything done by channel numbers?  How does xLight (or I) know the order of each network?

In your LOR sequence, just define everything as standard 16 channel LOR controllers. The first network you defined in xLights will be mapped to the regular/default network in LOR S2. Aux A will be mapped to the second network you define in xLights. So if you are putting 36 channels of DMX on the second network, define it as 3 16-channel controllers on Aux A in LOR S2 (units 1-3).

Once you have the schedule created in xLights, you can click on a sequence in you playlist to highlight it, then click the "i" button above the playlist to get some info on how the mapping will occur for that particular sequence.

Matt
Matt Brown
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, »
Got it! Thank you. 

I was missing setting the unit number correctly and the channel number.

ie. DMX Channel 50 is Aux A, Unit 4, Channel 1.

If testing goes well this morning, I will us this tonight!

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, »
Thank you for xLights!  What a great utility.  I have been running my show now for 5+ days with no issues at all.  It just runs.  I love the fact I can continue to use LOR S2 and mix LOR and DMX.  Thank you.

Offline tennhillbilly

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, »
This is my first year trying to do animated lighting ,I have 1 lor controller and 2 lynx expresses.I got the cart before the horse, didn't think about not being able to use them together . When I read about x Lights being able to run a show with LOR and Lynx I was excited. The idmx from LOR is too expensive for me . Here is my problem, I downloaded x lights and was able to do the test function with them both hooked up. I set them up as Lor on network 1 Lynx on network 2 when I try to play a sequence I The Lor controller works, no output from the Lynx. Tried them seperately The lor worked then tried the Lynx seperately played maybe 20 to 30 seconds then it was stopped by a windows runtime error. I am using LORS2 software. I also get an error popup each time the sequence finishes and I go to play it again. It says error connecting to lor on com 5 unable to open serial port error code=-1  lor is on com 5 and lynx is on com 6 If I close x lights and unplug the dongles and reconnect them the sequence will play again only on the lor controller. Sorry about all the rambling . appreciate any help Thanks.