Author Topic: Dongle issue?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline mitch09

Dongle issue?
« on: December 24, 2010, »
I am getting no lights when I run a sequence

I have recently built a dongle and LE. The express appears to be running correctly. Runs through test mode and led's light up as well as light strands when plugged in. Board shows dmx in as well.

Running Windows XP SP3
Installed all FTDI drivers
Dongle is ver 1

I am using Lighshow Pro
I have set the output options to --->DMX PRO(Lynx)

Could this be a dongle issue or am I missing some setup option in LSP?

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline Randy_A

• Lockport Lights
Re: Dongle issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, »
Does Windows recognize the Dongle?

Do you have the com port set up??

Just a few things to check...

Randy

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, »
LSP can be fun to figure out all that you need to do to get lights to run.

You could have everything working hardware and be like me the first time I tried to use it. I could getting nothing to work.

I would suggest you start by downloading the Lynx DMX deck. Once you get it install start it and go to setting and pick your com port. Then above the first slider drop down the list and pick a channel on the controller. Likely it is set to start channel #1 So choose #1 one on the drop down. This will make that slider controll channel #1.

Then slide it up and down to see if you get anything. If so you have a setup issue in LSP if not then start from there.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mitch09

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, »
Downloaded and installed Lynx Deck, set my com port to 4
and get nothing when moving the sliders.  I will try and upload some pics of the dongle. Could it be a PIC issue?  KyleC programmed it for me(Not blaming Kyle)

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline mitch09

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, »
Found it!  After the Lynx deck not working I decided to take some pics of the dongle. When I was taking a picture of the solder joints I noticed a joint that did not have much solder on it (pic holder). I added a little solder and lo and behold everything is working. What an idiot I am....

Thanks for everyone's help.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Found it!  After the Lynx deck not working I decided to take some pics of the dongle. When I was taking a picture of the solder joints I noticed a joint that did not have much solder on it (pic holder). I added a little solder and lo and behold everything is working. What an idiot I am....

Not an idiot!

Just a person really learning about lighting. Your not an appliance operator but a real lighting engineer wiht the ability to not plug stuff together but to troubleshoot and repair issue. Be proud of yourself.

And merry christmas.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline warspyder

• My Black Jeep
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Found it!  After the Lynx deck not working I decided to take some pics of the dongle. When I was taking a picture of the solder joints I noticed a joint that did not have much solder on it (pic holder). I added a little solder and lo and behold everything is working. What an idiot I am....

From one idiot to another.  >:D Welcome to the club, I had a bad solder joint on a leg of the transformer of a SSR4. The lights would work until I turned around then they stopped. Drove me nuts until I pull the board out of the box.
Mark Coulter
Oak Harbor, WA