Author Topic: Odd Freestyle Issue  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Odd Freestyle Issue
« on: December 26, 2010, »
I've experienced and odd Freestyle issue a couple of times this year.  I wanted to share it with the collective just to get it out there and see if anyone else has seen a similar issue.

I've had two instances of power failure to my 2 Freestyles this year.  One was brought on by a short in an attached SSR that caused the power strip the FS and SSR were plugged into to reset.  The other was brought on my a severe rain storm that caused the GFCI to fire that the 2nd FS was plugged into.  I've been using these 2 FS in my show for three years and I can't remember having a similar issue before but since it has happened to each FS once this year I thought I'd share.

What basically happens after the power reset is the FS comes back online after power up with a different address that it was originally programmed with.  In my case one is set to channel 1 and one is set to 197 (I think).  I'm not exactly sure what address they come back with, but my show was running wrong without any other changes so I reset them to the address I knew they were supposed to be and the show looked correct again.  They were responding to DMX before I reset the address, just not the channels they were supposed to be on.  In each case I used the Lynx Address Utility and the reset without issue.  It just seems like an odd issue.

Looking back through the forum it seems like somebody might have seen a similar issue before.

I guess I just wanted people to be aware that I think the issue is the FS seems to sometimes get a corrupted or changed start address when the power is interrupted.  I'm running the most recent HEX files on these as I reflashed them before I put them out in the yard this year just to be sure.  They also reset to the correct address on the first attempt at reprogramming so no problems there.  It just made my show look odd or a few minutes.

RJ, any thoughts?

Ron

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Re: Odd Freestyle Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, »
Thanks for the info Ron...as an appreciative "individual" not part of a "collective"!
Leesburg, FL

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Odd Freestyle Issue
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, »
If power did not just go off cleanly but instead was on and off a few times very fast I guess it is possible the unit entered into program mode and picked up what ever is on channel one and two as a new address.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying