Author Topic: xLights Updates  (Read 2311 times)

Offline csf

xLights Updates
« on: December 29, 2010, »
So for the past three days I have been working hard on stuff for xlights and this is how things are looking so far. (btw I ditched the idea of making a command line program for testing it was starting to get more cumbersome to work with then just making a simple GUI to test with)

I updated xMenue to hold spots for channel Mappings, and Launch xConsole.

Channel Mapping will auto generate default values for you based off networks.
All networks on on a droop down so you can only select networks loaded in the system.
Channels and names can be made what ever the use decides to enter
All the data is stored in an XML file like network data is in the users working directory.

At this point unless some one finds bugs in the changes to xMenue I would call the changes complete for now (I can see a few usability improvements being made to channel mappings down the road but I don't see it being worth it to make those additions now since they will actually only limit our ability to test the system (I just feel the system may just be a bit to open ended and may confusion some people))

xConsole is the newest program to xLights. This program will be used at first for setting up groups, and effects, testing groups, effects, and virtual channels. Eventually I would like to see xConsole be turned in a to a software console capable of controlling a live light show.

Currently xConsole has an interface and the base code for controlling the hardware in place.

My next project will be getting xConsole to make use of the virtual channel mappings.

Out side of my work Matt  is working on making improvements to the scheduler. 

Matt is going to try to have his changes committed by Jan 1st and then I will try to have all my changes merged in by Jan5th with a working console for testing virtual channels.

Also Matt and I are in talks about how we can make the API more useful.

So 2011 is not even here yet and looks like we already have allot of stuff in devlopment for xlights for 2011 :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, by csf »

Offline mmais68569

Re: xLights Updates
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, »
Are the updates on the website yet?
     Mike

Offline ptone

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Out side of my work Matt  is working on making improvements to the sequencer.

Wha?

When you say "improvements" had Matt already had a sequencer started?

I've been doing some refactoring and flushing out the concepts of overlaying multiple effects.  Stuff gets hairy fast.

For some inspiration on what some target effects might be, check out this video - haven't downloaded the software to play with:

-Preston
--
budding channel wrangler

Offline csf

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, »
Are the updates on the website yet?
     Mike

Right now none of the updates are in the SVN or the downloads from source forge. In about a week they should be though.

Wha?

When you say "improvements" had Matt already had a sequencer started?

And this is why I need to stop posting at 2AM....

I meat the scheduler... No we have not started the sequencer yet... Sorry for any confusion.

When I get to effects chase effects will definitely be included.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, by csf »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, »
Hi Csf and Matt

Happy to hear progress is being made.

Hoping some improvements to the scheduler is also done

One problem I had was on Christmas eve I like to run a seq after the show is over. So like at 11:30 to 2pm the next day it runs my Nativity seq but I couldn't figure out how to do that. Like If I pick 11:30pm to 2pm it states the end time has to be later than the start time.

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, »
Hey Guys

Anything new to report or released?

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline csf

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, »
At this point I am working mostly on mapping out the structure of groups.

The more I developed the ideas the more the power of the program really relies of groups. I want to make sure I get this right. I want to keep over head down, so it's not resource intensive, I don't want to drive the user crazy having to set up 6,000 things to get groups working right, but I want it to  be as powerful as possible.

Also I am trying to figure out the best GUI for setting up groups.

That being said at this point once the groups are nailed the rest of the pieces I mapped out should fall in to place.

I rather take it slow and steady developing the groups since if something needs to be changed in them down the road it going to be a real pain, so I rather get it right the first time.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, »
Hi Csf,

Thanks for the update

Cheers

Rick R.