Author Topic: Is there a group buy  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Sabre03

Is there a group buy
« on: December 30, 2010, »
I did a quick search to no avail.  do you guys do a group buy on the dongle thingy, and the case and everything involed with it,  Or do I just order the parts.
Thanks
Jason

Offline tstewart

• Global Moderator
Re: Is there a group buy
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, »
For the Dongle contact RJ (send PM) for a PCB and then order the parts.  The COOP price for the Dongle does not really result in much savings so they are no COOPs for the Dongle parts.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Todd

I did a quick search to no avail.  do you guys do a group buy on the dongle thingy, and the case and everything involed with it,  Or do I just order the parts.
Thanks
Jason
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, by tstewart »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, »
Although there are currently no coop buys for the dongle perhaps this year that may need to change.  Due to the new tax law changes that will force paypal to report income over $10,000 and 200 payments, we need more coop managers.  Due the small size, low cost, and small number of components for the dongle I can't think of a better device to use to train new coop managers.   Another issue that we had this past season was Mouser running out of some components for he dongle and ordering one or two items from other supply houses brings high shipping costs for small orders that can add a significant cost increase to the dongle.  A coop manager ordering large quantities of these single components from multiple vendors can bring in the cost savings by reduced shipping charges that can make doing a dongle coop worth while.  I would consider applying to be a coop manager next year and I think that I would feel much more comfortable with my first attempt being something that is a little easier to sort and ship like the dongle. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, »
Your comment on the new tax law is intriguing I didn't look at it in the aspect of coops. Does anyone know how this will affect orders such as the current express coop which is well over 10K atm.

Offline ponddude

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, »
You are close, but not exact on the tax laws.  The actual amount is $20,000 dollars.  If I am not mistaken, the current COOP for the Express's will be grossly over that amount.  I really don't know how RJ plans on getting around this but Paypal has to report him to the IRS.  I don't blame Paypal though, this isn't their doing. These new laws were passed during the Bush tax cuts back in 2004.  We all knew it was coming.

RJ started a discussion about but nothing ever came from it.  It can be found here:

Greg

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, »
My mistake on the amount and thanks for the correction.  However both conditions have to be met or exceeded so if he gets less than I believe it to be 200 payments, they don't have to report him.  However, with the smart string coop comming up next, he will easily go way over both.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, »
For the manager: You need to report the money you receive in a coop as income on your tax return, then report the costs for all of the parts as a deduction.  Make sure you include the shipping.  Keep your receipts just in case.  You can't deduct costs for parts you use yourself.  If you have any money left over that you didn't specifically use for the coop then that portion will be the left over income on your tax return.

You do all of this on schedule C on your tax return (for the U.S. of course).  Other countries will vary but the principles will be the same.

All paypal is doing is letting the IRS know how much you got paid.  You just need to claim the expenses as deductions then you are fine.