Author Topic: Display design  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Asterix0

Display design
« on: December 30, 2010, »
I'm new to lighting animation and am beginning to understand the issues in lighting control, however, I don't have a clue about display design and construction.  Are there good resources that a beginner can use to get a jump start in the physical design and construction of displays?

Thanks,
Duane

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Re: Display design
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, »
"Planet Christmas" has a lot of ideas...

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, »
Check out the "Porch" section and look at all the videos from this years shows.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, by wbuehler »

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

You can also check out some of the behind the scenes videos that show what people have done.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, »
Watch videos of other shows, see what you like and want to do, then start looking into how do I do that. There are a lot of people that can help do something what you need to do is determine what you want to do. Like Bill said do to "The Porch" and check out the shows other people have listed.

Other apporach would be find songs you like and search you tube for how others did it. The problem here is you just copy what others did. I would rather use approach 1 above

Joe
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline Asterix0

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, »
I think a newbie like me needs to learn to copy first and then start creating. When I look at other people's shows, I'm overwhelmed. I need something like RJ's videos for building the Express which tell me exactly what do the first time to make soothing that works. After I build something successful, I'll be ready to springboard to something creative.

Offline batdive

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, »
Problem you are going to run into is no one can tell you how to do the right design, because it is very individual and to each users tastes and needs.

If you want to see how the whole process works then start with a basic Christmas set up, which usually is roof lines and have a controller run them.  The next thing is usually trees wrapped or bushes covered, but hard to tell because that will be up to your tastes. budget and home layout.

Start small and grow from there.

Another good thing is to check out the light shows in your area and see in person what another persons tastes/likes are.  You will find yourself saying.. oh i like that, but don't like that and then you start to have a design in your head for your own home.

To find lightshows check out the local paper, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, and what others have mentioned above watch some videos or find members that are in your area.

Hope that helps..

-JS
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, by batdive »

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, »
One of the places that really helped me understand the construction of a display is on the Holdman site - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Watch the behind the scenes video. It really gives you an idea of what all is involved in putting together a display. I will never have a display as nice or as big as his, but I did steal some of his ideas.
There are a lot of other "How-To" videos around on some  of the other forums. Read as many as you can find and you will get an idea of what you like and want to incorporate in to your display.
Only you will know what you like, what you can afford and what fits in your yard.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline Asterix0

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, »
Thanks for the links! They are exactly what I need to combine the lighting control information I am learning on this site with physical platforms on which I can display the lights.

Duane

Offline Asterix0

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, »
Thanks!