Author Topic: Beta-Portable Wired/Wireless DMX Tester (See first post for specs and features)  (Read 58163 times)

Offline dlhoppe

Re: Lynx Portable (and maybe wireless) Channel Tester
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2011, »
Excellent suggestions! Thanks!

I especially like the pulsing idea. That's purely a software thing. I can see adding that as a dimmer value one positioin above 255. Maybe a dimmer range of 0-255-PLS. Doing it this way keeps it independent of the channel selection. It would allow you to pulse any single channel or all channels as needed. What kind of frequency would you want to see? One second on, one second off?

Yeah, a variety of battery power/wireless scenarios are being considered. I want to explore all options to see what's feasible and then we'll decide probably based on most common needs of the DLA community as a whole. Not to say there couldn't be options, but trying to be all things to all people will paralyze this project. If we end up keeping this thing simple as a purely wired-only device, it will end up in the users hands much quicker. The silver lining in that scenario is that it will still interface just fine with the Lynx Tx. It would be up to the user as to how to power the Tx in a portable fashion for long durations.

Thanks again for the input!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2011, »
No problem, glad to help.  I was under the impression that one of the ideas was to incorporate the wireless transmitter into the tester itself, perhaps as an option.  This is why I suggested the seperate battery pack.  I hope that integrating a transmitter into the unit is still an option being considered.  Doing that would in my opinion make it a far more capable and usable unit but either way, you guys are doing a great job as seen by the videos.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2011, »
O.K. after some sleep today and thinking about this...

Power....  ALWAYS a problem right?  Batteries batteries batteries.....  So chances are you're going to be near your controller when doing this or at least some of the time.  So what if you incorporate the option of plugging it in?  Use an off the shelf wal wart (call 'em what you want) from Radio shack or Mouser etc.  You won't have to do any external engineering.  The connectors to put on the case can have a cut off in it for the batteries so if you have it "plugged in" then the batteries wouldn't be affected.

It's just a thought and gives you options.  The jack on the case wouldn't add much more cost and like I said it's optional anyway.  Cuz I'm telling ya if I get one and figure it out I'll add one myself like I've done to other devices.  Just think of it as a battery eliminator! :)

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2011, »
Good suggestions!

I have a list that I'm compiling. I'll certainly give consideration to each one. However, my goal has always been to meet the "basic needs" of the "majority of users". I can't make any promises for individual preferences and "exception scenarios". As with all development projects like this, and I've been involved in countless over the years as a software developer, it's absolutely impossible to be all things for all people. So when throwing suggestions out there, please think about how the majority of users would benefit, not just unique individual preferences.

This message isn't aimed at anyone in particular. Every suggestion is worth hearing, and some I've already implemented. I just wanted to give some guidelines and set some expectations. Please don't take it the wrong way if your ideas don't make it in. It's ok for different people to have different visions.

Again, thanks! I'm more than happy to get the feedback. Keep it coming.

Dave

Offline egenoup

« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2011, »
Alrighty!  I have uploaded a new video showing the new features that have been implemented in the Lynx Channel tester.  It also demos the tester running a Lynx RX/TX entirely on battery power.

Enjoy!

Charles S.

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2011, »
 <pop.. >.d9 <pop..
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline gforman

« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2011, »
Thanks for the update

This is getting better all the time

<pop..
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2011, »
Awesome!  It's getting better and better.....
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2011, »
 <pop..

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2011, »
Like the new features!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lowrider3121

« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2011, »
 <res.       really like where this is going       <res.         

Harvey from Michigan

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2011, »
Thanks!

I was messing around trying to get a feel for what this thing will look like in it's current incarnation. Attached is a mockup with some labeling to give you an idea. The positioning of switches might be slightly off, but should be close enough for a mockup.

We're still working through a couple of things and hope to have them ironed out real soon. I'm really looking forward to getting an actual prototype in my hands.  :)

Cheers,
Dave
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2011, »
Awesome+ <res.
 <;d

Offline lowrider3121

« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2011, »
looks great can't wait to build one when the coop start

Harvey from Michigan

Offline dlhoppe

Re: Lynx Portable Wired/Wireless Channel Tester
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2011, »
Ok, here's an update I thought you might like to hear about.

I just did some initial testing for a built-in wireless solution. RJ was kind enough to lend a hand and we came up with a way (via special firmware) to use a "stripped-down" Ex/Rx as a wireless transmitter. I feel this is the best wireless solution for this portable device. Very low power consumption, yet plenty of  transmit power. In my tests, the wireless connection is rock-solid throughout my entire house (3rd floor to basement, any room to any room). I haven't tested max range in a line-of-sight configuration yet, but given the performance through structures, it should be more than adequate for a test device. We've been in a holding pattern until we got this solution worked out, so we can now move forward and get a couple of prototypes put together. We're probably looking at a few weeks at the earliest before we'll have the prototype PCBs.

Attached is a photo of the Ex/Rx build as needed for the tester. One thing to note on the photo. The ICSP header could just be omitted. RJ pointed out that he successfully programs PICs by just temporarily inserting the pins from the PICKIT long enough to write the firmware. So it could be stripped down even more than is shown here.

By the way, we designed this tester so that the wireless is optional. You'll be able to build a wired-only tester if you want to save costs. You can always add the wireless at a later time. The Ex/Rx will connect to the tester as a daughterboard the same way it's used on the LE. As far as coops go, I don't know if having an "option" throws a wench into that process. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. That will be up to the coop managers.

Cheers,
Dave
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, by dlhoppe »