Author Topic: Beta-Portable Wired/Wireless DMX Tester (See first post for specs and features)  (Read 58237 times)

Offline dlhoppe

OK, just to make sure everyone is clear on the status of this project. We are involving some volunteers for beta testing. This is not a coop. As soon as we're done with our testing phase, then we'll approach the coop managers to get this thing officially released. Please check back for updates. We should start seeing feedback from the testers before too long.

Thanks for your patience,
Dave

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
Looks like the transceiver wont be available till 11/11/2011. So i ordered from somewhere else, paid 2 dollars more, but i dont wanna wait for mouser to get them in.

Offline dlhoppe

holland,

Can you share where you got it?  Others might want to know for their test efforts as well.

Thanks!

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
Yes that would be nice to know.  I've already ordered it from Mouser but wonder if I can cancel it and order elsewhere.
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
I went to the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login as posted and ordered from

Which i bought 2, and they only have 4 in stock. so that leaves 2 available.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
No one seems to have them in stock hardly.

Offline dlhoppe

FYI,

I made a change to the BOM to fix a couple of things. (BOM links are on first post of this thread)

The first change is a swap of RJ45 side-entry jack for a different brand. The one that was there originally does not come out flush with the case. I replaced it with the same one that I prototyped with and it's a much nicer fit. It's worth the extra few pennies.

The second change is a replacement of the RS485 chip. The original one is not compatible with a 3.3v bus. My apologies. We were trying to save costs, but didn't realize this chip was not as tolerant of the lower voltage. I prototyped successfully with the ST485BN and am still using it without any issues. So I changed the BOM to include that one instead. There are however other alternatives that are designed for 3.3v. However the cost is higher (a little more than double for the cheapest one). Feel free to substitute a 3.3v version (SN75HVD12P) if you like. Although I have a proven track record with the ST485BN. I have no problem recommending that one as the BOM update will show.

For you beta testers that have already place your orders, you can swap the 485 chip from the previous BOM with one from one of your controllers. The Lynx controllers all supply 5v to the 485 chips, so this one will happily live there. You can then put the one from the controller into the tester (assuming it's the ST485BN).

Cheers,
Dave
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
A huge Thanks to Dave for helping to get this tester working. I was having trouble with the wired side of it in that it didn't work, but the wireless did. We changed out the RS485 chip, and immediately the wired side started working. I offer a few tips I hope will help future builders,

1) As the tester starts up on channel 256, the 1/2 way point by design, I recommend for a first time startup to set your controller to start address 256 so you know immediately after you turn it on in wired mode if the tester is working.
2) The wireless takes about 1 to 3 seconds before the LE "sees it".
3) If the tester is shut off in wireless mode, the DMX light on the LE goes out, but the DMX light on the LE mounted EX/RX just freezes.
4) The build video has you solder the EX/RX PIC directly on the board, you can use the socket, it comes in the BOM, and there is enough room to install it.
5) I recommend using the RC Servo wires that RJ had us use for the Aether, according to Dave they will carry enough current. Cut the wire like we did in the Aether (connecting the 2 ends of the connector, and cutting the wire in half), then solder the wire to the PCB, and battery box connectors, then you have a way of disconnecting the battery side of the case from the PCB in case you need to troubleshoot the board. (Guess how I figured that one out?)
6) When marking the case for the cutouts, I recommend mounting the PCB in the case (careful about orientation, it should be opposite of the battery box) and using a pin or needle, push them through the holes in the circuit board for the display, 2 switches, and the rotary encoder, which will mark the case. Then remove the PCB, use a #60 and #70 drill bit to put holes in the case. Then mount those parts in the correct orientation on the outside of the case, and scribe the shape on the case (I used a razor blade, be careful if you do), then remove the parts. You now have an outline to cut out that is very close to the correct size needed. Trim to fit.
7) Talking of marking the case, I also recommend mounting the PCB in the case before building the board and using a scribe or razor blade, mark the inside of the case (at the PCB level) for the cat 5 connector, this will keep you from cutting too deep in the case for the connector. The bottom side is a hit or miss as to depth, trim it shallow, and keep trimming until it fits.
8 ) The switches are open to the top of the case, which leaves them vulnerable to dust, dirt, and liquid contamination, so I took a heavy duty ziplock bag and cut a "cover" for the switches, see photo. I cut the pieces large enough so that when moving the switches the bag was still able to cover the entire switch and the hole in the case. Then use a razor blade or exacto knife and trim out a rectangle that will allow the bag to be a tight fit over the switch, slide the bag over the switch and you're done. Home made contamination resistant switch.

I had the wireless working yesterday, it is awesome and will make checking your setup so much easier, you will now be able to control each individual channel, and verify correct placement of each item. I've got a lot of testing yet to do, but if this first phase is any indication, Dave, Mike, and Charles have made a fantastic tool to help each of us make setup much easier. I Thank them for allowing me to participate in such a cool project, Thanks again,

Bill
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, by bisquit476 »

Offline dlhoppe

Bill,

Thanks for participating. Really appreciate the feedback.

Excellent idea for doing the case cut-outs by the way. Wish I thought of that when I did mine.

Dave

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
Got my part today and will start assembly here soon.  The case is on backorder and now I have to worry about the chip issue.  One step at a time though. :)
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline dlhoppe

Got my part today and will start assembly here soon.  The case is on backorder and now I have to worry about the chip issue.  One step at a time though. :)

Dean, as I mentioned, you can swap the 485 from one of your controllers for the time being. The one from the tester BOM works fine in the controllers. The ST485BN that RJ specifies in all the controllers that use wired DMX IS compatible with the tester. The only difference is their tolerance to run at lower voltages  (the tester runs it at 3.3v rather than 5v like the controllers).

Again, my apologies.

Keep us posted.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights

Dean, as I mentioned, you can swap the 485 from one of your controllers for the time being. The one from the tester BOM works fine in the controllers. The ST485BN that RJ specifies in all the controllers that use wired DMX IS compatible with the tester. The only difference is their tolerance to run at lower voltages  (the tester runs it at 3.3v rather than 5v like the controllers).

Again, my apologies.

Keep us posted.

Oh yes I read that..  And that's what I'll be doing.  I'm starting the build now so we shall see how it all goes.. :)  Since I have two boards the second build will be in the next couple of weeks just to give some time for other testers to build too and go from there. :)

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline dlhoppe

[/quote]

Oh yes I read that..  And that's what I'll be doing.  I'm starting the build now so we shall see how it all goes.. :)  Since I have two boards the second build will be in the next couple of weeks just to give some time for other testers to build too and go from there. :)

Dean
[/quote]

Awesome!  Thanks a bunch for stepping up to do this!

Let me know if you need anything.

Offline dlhoppe

FYI for any of you beta testers that were given Rev1 boards. There is a mod that needs to be done to add two resistors to the control side of the board. The two resistors needed are part of the BOM.

Oh, by the way, the symptoms associated with not having these resistors in place is that it will not send DMX out via the RJ45 jack when there's no Ex/Rx installed. So it's only an issue without the wireless option.

I've posted a photo that shows how to identify the Rev1 board as well as the mod. Rev2 boards do not required this mod.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline dlhoppe

I held back my own Rev1 boards because I was more interested in beta testing with the latest version (Rev2) only. However, the difference is so minor (the two resistors) that we felt it was worth letting the Rev1's out to get more units into the tester's hands. We only had a small number of prototypes. There are no fundamental design differences that will cause any problems with our beta test efforts. Only a slight difference in the build.

With that in mind, I've decided to release the few Rev1 boards that I have left to any additional members who would like to contribute to the beta test activities on this project. I have 3 available and I'd like them to go to folks who are not already participating in this beta test effort.

Please PM me if you're interested.

Dave

P.S.  We're looking for members who can build and test sooner than later. Trying to get this released to coop managers as soon as we can.