Author Topic: Beta-Portable Wired/Wireless DMX Tester (See first post for specs and features)  (Read 58240 times)

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
How do i know which is rev 1 ? I have 2 boards and they are different from the other.

Offline dlhoppe

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How do i know which is rev 1 ? I have 2 boards and they are different from the other.

Look at the second picture in post #208. If it looks like that, it's Rev1. Otherwise it's Rev2.

There's a lot of good info in this thread. I know it's spread out a bit, but worth the time to back-track a little and read. At least until we get the wiki entries up and running.

You should have gotten information as to how to identify them and what mod is required for Rev1. So I'm trying to alleviate that problem with all my posts from the last day or two.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
Ok so it looks like if it has the resistor holes, its rev 2 correct?

Offline n1ist

An easier way to tell...  Look next to the PIC.  If there are places for 4 resistors (3 1k5 and one 4k7) then it is a rev 2 board.  If there are only three resistors (3 1k5) then it is a rev 1 board and needs the modification.
/mike

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
Yea ill build the rev 2  then. The rev 2 board is also square, where the rev 1 board hs that addition on the top of it. So i have a spare rev 1 board now.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, by holland lights »

Offline dlhoppe

Yea ill build the rev 2  then. The rev 2 board is also square, where the rev 1 board hs that addition on the top of it. So i have a spare rev 1 board now.

Good choice!    :)

Thanks!

Offline JDM1oc

I'm getting ready to build this - what are you using to connect the exrx board to the tester? The Mouser BOM did not include the 4 pin headers or sockets normally used for this. I'm pretty sure I have some around, but since space is a premium I am wondering what you guys have done.

Thanks!

Josh

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
I used the regular EX/RX header stuff, it works great.

Offline JDM1oc

I used the regular EX/RX header stuff, it works great.

Awesome. Thanks! I can't wait to get this built and test it out.

Josh

Offline dlhoppe

Yep, that is correct. I have updated the BOM. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Offline JDM1oc

I completed my build of the tester, these are my initial thoughts:

Build- The build was easy and straightforward.  I would change the 0.1uf caps on the wireless BOM to the inline style like those on the regular EX/RX BOM. I used the socket for the pic on the EX/RX but it is a really tight fit, almost too tight when the case is assembled.  I followed Bill’s lead and soldered the ICSP header on the rear of the EX/RX board and found that to work well. 

Case- the case is a good size and functional, I hope that when this is cooped we’ll be able to get the cases machined.  Mine is the definition of “hack job”  :D

Testing- The tester functioned great right off the bat. I plugged it in place of a dmx lighting board and it functioned very well.  I then tested it with two expresses both wired and wireless and it worked flawlessly. I was able to get about 150 feet away line of sight from the expresses and still control them, any further and it had some lag.  50 feet without light of sight was very usable.   The encoding wheel is slick and functions great, but it does feel a bit flimsy.  Overall this thing is awesome and will be a real benefit to this community.

Thank you to everyone who participated in the development of this device, it is a valuable tool.  <res. 

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to contribute to this community in a small way by helping test this device.

Josh

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Now if there was just a pixel net version.  Another challenge to you guys.  I was looking forward to this until I realized I would getting my DMX via the SS Hub although I will probably just go from the hub to a wireless TX so I guess I would be ok for those elements that are still DMX.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
I would change the 0.1uf caps on the wireless BOM to the inline style like those on the regular EX/RX BOM.

I forgot to mention that I did install those inline style caps on the EX/RX board, they work fine. (The benefit of RJ using the same parts on most of his designs)

Offline dlhoppe

Nothing wrong with having consistency in parts between devices. Thanks for the feedback. I will update the BOM first chance I get.

Regarding the encoder, there are higher quality alternatives, but at substantially higher costs. I have quite a bit of use on mine and it's holding up well. So that's a tough call at this point. We can always retro fit something different down the road if this one doesn't hold up.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Exactly the kind of stuff I want to hear.

Dave

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
Well i got the dmx programed and able to run through all of the functions, but i have no output. The    SN74HC125NE4 chip had pins bent on it when i got it, tried to straighten them out, but if you dont get them just right that may be my problem. So ill have to order another one of them.