Author Topic: Beta-Portable Wired/Wireless DMX Tester (See first post for specs and features)  (Read 58232 times)

Offline tombmatt

Re: Lynx Wireless Channel Tester?
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2011, »
 <pop..

Offline egenoup

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2011, »
Dlhoppe,

Could you not eliminate the RS485 chip if you are connecting directly to the Lynx transmitter?  at a minimum, you could just jump from your RS485 socket to the transmitter's 485 socket.  Maybe RJ can chime in on this one.  That would save you the 3.91 for the 485 chip and another $1.10 for the ethernet connector.  If the user is planning on using the a hardwire, then he would need the both parts.  You could make these optional.

I am in the process of ordering all the necessary parts to put this together and if I have time, I will throw your schematic into eagle and make up a pcb.  I will make it a through-hole, but if this works out, then I am considering making it a surface mount...

I will let you know when I would need the firmware.

Thanks,

Charles S.

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2011, »
I definitely want both options. I don't know if the 485 can be eliminated for wireless. RJ's design on the "Tx only" device still uses one. Without researching, I suspect the voltage characteristics from the PIC are not suitable for a 485 interface. In any case, I'd like to get things working in a wired scenario first to keep things simple for debugging and testing. I have wireless parts to test the wireless scenario afterwards.

Thanks for jumping in. I could use the help. Especially with the PCB design.

Testing is going pretty well so far. I have the hardware fired up and have debugged all the input issues. I got bogged down a bit having to learn how to configure all the I/O ports to suit my needs. One problem I couldn't overcome with my inexperience so I ended up remapping the ports a bit for the input pins and the cathode driver pins. Right now I'm about to get an SSR4 connected and see where we are with the DMX signal.

Latest schematic attached...

Dave
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2011, »
By the way Mike and RJ, the debounce routine in software works like a charm. Thanks for pushing me in that direction.   :)

Offline n1ist

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2011, »
I have entered the schematic in Kicad; I should have a board layed out tomorrow.  I will roll in your latest changes.
/mike

Offline egenoup

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2011, »
Are you going to add an ICSP header and circuitry?

Charles

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2011, »
I'd like to, yes.   Mike, did you add that to your PCB layout?  Can you?

First attempts to get blinky didn't produce any results. I don't have the lower voltage 485 chip yet, so I tried the 5v version. Not sure if that is the problem. Mike seemed to think it might have worked at 3.3v. I have a couple of adjustable regulators handy. Tomorrow night I'll add one to the ciruit and dial it upp to 5v for the 485 chip.

My other concern is that my two SSR4's are newly built and not tested. I don't have a dongle yet, so there's no way to know if they are operational. I'm going to have to find a way to log the DMX output. I used to have an old oscilliscope that my father-in-law gave me. Too bad I got rid of it a few years ago. I'll see if I can come up with an RS485 sniffer/logger?

We're getting close!  Keep the popcorn poppin!   :)

Dave

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, »
 <pop..

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2011, »
Houston, we have blinky!!!     ;D

I had one wrong connection on my breadboard. I decided to sit down and look it over and found it. I wasn't pulling the send-enable pin high on the 485 chip. Turns out the 5v version of the 485 chip (ST485BN) works fine. So there's cost savings there.

Everything is working rock solid except for a small needed tweak on the encoder debounce routine. I wrote it so I could adjust a single value for tuning so I'll just have to do some more testing to get it right.

I'm amazed at how well the DMX logic works right out of the box. Being a software developer, I know that's kind of rare for newly written code to work right away. By the way, I didn't write that particular part from scratch. What I have is derived from the DMX example on Microchip's website.

I'll setup a demo and post a video in the next night or two so you all have something to watch while eating your popcorn.  ;D

Cheers,
Dave

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2011, »
 <res.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2011, »
Great news!   <res.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2011, »
 <res.

Offline dlhoppe

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2011, »
To do list:

Tune the debounce. It's almost perfect, but I believe I detected a couple of rough spots so I will work on that. It could be related to the encoder I'm prototyping with though.

Add the x10 multiplier logic. The encoder I'm using in the prototype has 24 detents per revolution with four transitions between each detent. That's 96 transitions per revolution. It's not appropriate at all for this application, but was good enough to test with. The one on the BOM in an earlier post has no detents and 24 total transitions per revolution. It should work way better for accuracy, but the x10 feature will be necessary to move quickly through the input values if you want to get from one value to a another distant one.

Add a "loop-around" for the channel select. What I mean by that is if I'm rolling down, when I get to channel 1, the next transition down will get me to 512. I actually have an "all" selection just above 512, so we can dim all 512 channels together. The "loop-around" feature would give the channel selection range of  1...512.ALL.1...512.ALL.1...512.ALL.  and would continue to loop around as long as you keep turning the encoder in the same direction. Looping will work in either direction.

Look at driving a transmitter component as an option. I'm sure the Lynx transmitter will work fine, but it would be nice to have wireless inherent in the same device.  Maybe having dual output or a selection switch to choose. What do you think?

ICSP port.

PCB design. We've got a couple of people on this already. I think Mike is already pretty close to done with the current prototype design.

Once we get all this stuff done, we'll have a pretty handy little device. Given that the ST485BN works, I put the cost for non-bulk pricing at roughly $23 to build this prototype (without PCB and case). Some of that cost is for the power plugs and power port to supply 6v to the the Lynx transmitter. Eliminating them would lower the cost more yet.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, by dlhoppe »

Offline tng5737

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2011, »
Good work - looking forward to the coop!  Thanks for all your effort.

Offline n1ist

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2011, »
Here's a quick first pass at the board.  At Dave's suggestion, I ended up putting all of the components other than the switches and display on the back side of the board, and had to stand the resistors on end for them to fit.  There are still a few tweaks I would like to do for cleanup, and am open to any suggestions.
/mike